• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Since there really isnt a solid plan, throw it in the pile of nobody planned for it. Wasted doses because people refuse to be vaccinate despite the vaccine ready to be administered as well as strict criteria in which the vaccine can be given.

It really is unbelievable that everyone went into this with the assumption that 100% of the early phases would be willing to take the shot without a backup plan.

There should be a standby list similar to flying, where if someone doesn't show up, there are extra doses, etc... you are next up. That, or just put a sign out that says vaccines available now for anyone that happens to be walking/driving by.

Definitely, or at least schedule appointments far enough out with a deadline so that you KNOW exactly how many people want it in that phase and can adjust from there.

more challenging because it requires two shots, but I'd definitely put my name on a list for a vaccine at last-minute notice if it were going to go unused

don't know enough about the shelf life of these things to have a sense of how long the window is for use it or lose it

I would go at 3 AM on a Wednesday to get the vaccine.

SC has started letting those 70+ get the vaccine. I have family there that are now eligible & live near Greenville. Good thing the closest available vaccine location is 90 miles from the upstate. What a mess.

Was in Greer, SC last week...Walked into a neighborhood bar and grill. No one was even pretending to wear a mask, no bottles of sanitizer anywhere...Turned right back around and got in my car.

SC has started letting those 70+ get the vaccine. I have family there that are now eligible & live near Greenville. Good thing the closest available vaccine location is 90 miles from the upstate. What a mess.

The upstate locations came online for appointments, but it's literally day 1 of including 70+ year olds and hospitals learned about letting them book 2 days ago.

There are also 105k medical worker appointments on the books with 2 more days before their deadline for appointments.

I'm happy that it's a supply problem rather than lack of demand and that people are getting vaccinated finally. Everyone who wants a vaccine will get one.

The federal government should be in charge of distribution and there should be vaccinations at every post office and federal building in the country.

Dude why do you keep eating in restaurants?

Wasn't going to eat in...Was going to place an order, wait outside and drive away with it.

I have no problem doing carryout if I think it's a clean establishment.

Also, I have antibodies as of last week. I'm not going to catch anything. But thanks for caring so much.

The federal government should be in charge of distribution and there should be vaccinations at every post office and federal building in the country.

not sure the vaccine can be stored and administered at every post office tho

That's great and all, but people have to be trained to administer vaccinations and they have to be refrigereated or kept frozen. It's easier to set up a tent in a medical office building parking lot than convert a 2,000 sf post office into a vaccination center while continuing post office operations.

I'd love to be in the very cold refrigerator business in this hypothetical.

The purpose of a convenient location is to store the vaccine in arms not a freezer. Keep the vaccine in the original storage vessel. We can’t treat this like a budget issue. If it costs a shit ton of money to transport vaccines and medical staff to East BFE, AR then so be it. This is too important.

projected deaths based on case-death lag

xdfsBFr.png

That's great and all, but people have to be trained to administer vaccinations and they have to be refrigereated or kept frozen. It's easier to set up a tent in a medical office building parking lot than convert a 2,000 sf post office into a vaccination center while continuing post office operations.

Training someone to give a vaccine takes about 5 minutes. It couldn't be more simple.

The challenges are: vaccine has to be kept in a special cooler and then thawed and used, massive demand, the need to monitor people for 15 minutes after receiving the vaccine, the need to have staff at every site that can treat a potential anaphylactic reaction, and the need to not create super spreader events at the vaccine location.

Back