• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Training someone to give a vaccine takes about 5 minutes. It couldn't be more simple.

The challenges are: vaccine has to be kept in a special cooler and then thawed and used, massive demand, the need to monitor people for 15 minutes after receiving the vaccine, the need to have staff at every site that can treat a potential anaphylactic reaction, and the need to not create super spreader events at the vaccine location.

I'm as pro-vaccine as the next guy, but I think I'd pass on getting one from my local mailman after he received a 5-minute training session

Yes, I had a discussion yesterday with someone about training on vaccinations, so I'm aware of that. However, I doubt that we have a corps of vaccination trainers on hand and a group of prescreened vaccinators ready to go after five minutes of training. Based on our government's response, we'll have herd immunity in place by the time we have people tranied go administer the vaccine. The time to have put together the training program was months ago.

I'm as pro-vaccine as the next guy, but I think I'd pass on getting one from my local mailman after he received a 5-minute training session

Lol. Same here. Given the state of my mail delivery the past 5 years I only trust the USPS with junk mail.

Yes, I had a discussion yesterday with someone about training on vaccinations, so I'm aware of that. However, I doubt that we have a corps of vaccination trainers on hand and a group of prescreened vaccinators ready to go after five minutes of training. Based on our government's response, we'll have herd immunity in place by the time we have people tranied go administer the vaccine. The time to have put together the training program was months ago.

There are more than enough CMAs, CNAs, LPNs, RNs, pharmacists, and physicians. The training can be accomplished by watching a video. But there is currently no centralized plan for any of this.

There are more than enough CMAs, CNAs, LPNs, RNs, pharmacists, and physicians. The training can be accomplished by watching a video. But there is currently no centralized plan for any of this.

But aren't all of those people currently doing something else ? Granted, there should be mobilization and prioritization for the vaccine, but to date, that hasn't happened.

seems elitist and dismissive of mail carriers

if the bottom feeders of my HS class can get certified to be nurse assistants and work in nursing homes and what not administering medication, im sure basically anyone can learn to give an injection

But aren't all of those people currently doing something else ? Granted, there should be mobilization and prioritization for the vaccine, but to date, that hasn't happened.

No. Some are very busy - those covering inpatient units. But many med centers have shut down elective surgeries, so surgical offices and operating rooms are not nearly as busy as usual. Plus, many of these workers could work extra night or weekend shifts giving vaccines. But there is no organized plan, nor extra payment to encourage these workers (though some would likely do it on a volunteer basis).

The mixing of the vaccine is probably the only hinderance not the actual administration of it. That shit is going IM into the arm, jam it hard, jam it soft, jam it anywhere it’s going in and going to work. Its like lining up with Mako’s mom.

seems elitist and dismissive of mail carriers

if the bottom feeders of my HS class can get certified to be nurse assistants and work in nursing homes and what not administering medication, im sure basically anyone can learn to give an injection

I have an aunt and uncle who were letter carriers.

If it makes you feel better, I'd pass on getting a vaccine from you after a 5-minute training session too.

For those that are hesitant about the 5 minute video tech administering the vaccine, what do you think will happen?

when my wife and i were trying to have baby #2, she had to inject herself with hormones for the fertility treatment. they literally gave her the script with zero instruction other than what came in the box with the needle. nothing from doctor, nurses or the pharmacist

just - here's some hormones and a syringe you have to fill yourself. figure it out!

Last edited:
when my wife and i were trying to have baby #2, she had to inject herself with hormones for the fertility treatment they literally gave her the script with zero instruction other than what came in the box with the needle. nothing from doctor, nurses or the pharmacist

just - here's some hormones and a syringe you have to fill yourself. figure it out!

we had to do that as well in wife's lower abdomen. and we were often given specific times in which to do it. one time we did it parked in a car in downtown Clemson before heading to the stadium for the Wake game. friends parked and waited outside the car for us.

Dentists should be included also. Feels like injecting gums, which they do everyday, would be much more difficult than injecting an arm. Also, some states allow optometrists to intraocularly inject their patients and they have to pass a class on it in order to get their license. Think NC is one of those states. They should absolutely be allowed to administer vaccines as well in those states.

Last edited:
Hot dog in a hallway

You clearly have not been invited in. Sorry man.

It's truly a masterpiece. A g d miracle that no one understands. I can only guess, since she's doing the lord's work, that god approves and has blessed her, all of us really, with a true miracle.

Just found out that one of the sweetest, most genuine people I’ve ever known passed from Covid today. A special needs teacher at my old school. In her mid 30s. Leaves behind a husband and a 6 and 8 year old that she adopted from unimaginably horrible circumstances. Caught it from a kid in her class because it’s pretty hard to socially distance as a special needs teacher. I’m pretty fucking devastated right now.

Just found out that one of the sweetest, most genuine people I’ve ever known passed from Covid today. A special needs teacher at my old school. In her mid 30s. Leaves behind a husband and a 6 and 8 year old that she adopted from unimaginably horrible circumstances. Caught it from a kid in her class because it’s pretty hard to socially distance as a special needs teacher. I’m pretty fucking devastated right now.

...wow. I don’t even know what to say man but that’s an absolutely crushing story.

Fuck.

Back