• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Just found out that one of the sweetest, most genuine people I’ve ever known passed from Covid today. A special needs teacher at my old school. In her mid 30s. Leaves behind a husband and a 6 and 8 year old that she adopted from unimaginably horrible circumstances. Caught it from a kid in her class because it’s pretty hard to socially distance as a special needs teacher. I’m pretty fucking devastated right now.

That's fucking horrible.

Training someone to give a vaccine takes about 5 minutes. It couldn't be more simple.

The challenges are: vaccine has to be kept in a special cooler and then thawed and used, massive demand, the need to monitor people for 15 minutes after receiving the vaccine, the need to have staff at every site that can treat a potential anaphylactic reaction, and the need to not create super spreader events at the vaccine location.

If they can learn to give a vaccine in 5 minutes they can learn to give an epi injection.

If they can learn to give a vaccine in 5 minutes they can learn to give an epi injection.

It’s not just being able to give an epi pen, someone needs to be able to deliver at least basic life support.

Sorry Mako. Be well and hold your family a little tighter today.

Why doesn't the CDC covid test requirement for international travel doesn't have an exemption for those who are vaccinated.

Just found out that one of the sweetest, most genuine people I’ve ever known passed from Covid today. A special needs teacher at my old school. In her mid 30s. Leaves behind a husband and a 6 and 8 year old that she adopted from unimaginably horrible circumstances. Caught it from a kid in her class because it’s pretty hard to socially distance as a special needs teacher. I’m pretty fucking devastated right now.

jesus

so sorry to hear about your loss and really sad for the family

Why doesn't the CDC covid test requirement for international travel doesn't have an exemption for those who are vaccinated.

isn't it because it's not known if vaccinated folks can still be carriers?

would a vaccinated person carrying Covid test positive?

Damn; so sorry for your loss M.

Oh man - sorry for your loss. That is gut wrenching.

this makes me sad

Ugh. That's awful.

Gosh that is awful! Special needs teachers are truly rare and special people, for sure.

Wow. Such sad news. Condolences to her family and friends.

This kind of news brings the Covid devastation all too close.

Take care of yourself, Mako, and take the time to mourn her as you need to.

Ugh. Man, I am so sorry.

so wake county opened their vaccine reservation tool at 830 this am and it promptly crashed and burned. there is so much fail i really don't get it - as i said somewhere in this thread they've known a vaccine would likely get approved for *six fucking months* and it is just clown shoes everywhere. yeah i get Trump is a shitbag and the feds didn't help at all, but states and counties have piled more incompetence on top of incompetence.

so wake county opened their vaccine reservation tool at 830 this am and it promptly crashed and burned. there is so much fail i really don't get it - as i said somewhere in this thread they've known a vaccine would likely get approved for *six fucking months* and it is just clown shoes everywhere. yeah i get Trump is a shitbag and the feds didn't help at all, but states and counties have piled more incompetence on top of incompetence.

I physically lust for the sociological studies that come out of this time period. I would have zero surprise if one of the findings is that the extended quarantine has so deeply impacted productivity and mental moral that the vaccine distribution process has suffered.

I know that there have been some studies (some recent and very compelling) that indicate that working from home can significantly boost productivity. But that's not really what we're doing - we're working from home in a pandemic. Schools are beyond fucked for scheduling. There's rampant malaise. Most of the things that make our lives better (maids/housekeepers, cooks/restaurants, schools/childcare) have been eliminated or modified beyond recognition.

At the end of each week, I'm always baffled at how little went according to plan each week. Either one of the kids had their classes cancelled, or moved on line, due to COVID or the weather; or they tried to start back up soccer/basketball/whatever else and it went off for a week, then shut down; or we made plans that were cancelled at the last minute, or one of our friends asked for childcare but then cancelled at the last minute - every week of my life since March has basically been an unmitigated shitshow. Personally, I'm still marginally productive, but it's so fucking draining.

There's no way that this pattern isn't repeating itself at nearly every level of local government.

Uuggghh. Brutal -- sorry, man.

It's almost like government is incompetent AF.

Back