• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

so wake county opened their vaccine reservation tool at 830 this am and it promptly crashed and burned. there is so much fail i really don't get it - as i said somewhere in this thread they've known a vaccine would likely get approved for *six fucking months* and it is just clown shoes everywhere. yeah i get Trump is a shitbag and the feds didn't help at all, but states and counties have piled more incompetence on top of incompetence.

It was just overloaded 'cause of course everyone tried to get on the site right when it opened. It was back up and working by the middle of the day.

It's almost like government is incompetent AF.

There are many private med centers that have completely screwed up vaccine distribution.

Actually, health departments have done this vaccine rollout better than anyone.

There are many private med centers that have completely screwed up vaccine distribution.

Actually, health departments have done this vaccine rollout better than anyone.

I was reading the other day that WV was having better than average success doing it through pharmacies.

Just found out that one of the sweetest, most genuine people I’ve ever known passed from Covid today. A special needs teacher at my old school. In her mid 30s. Leaves behind a husband and a 6 and 8 year old that she adopted from unimaginably horrible circumstances. Caught it from a kid in her class because it’s pretty hard to socially distance as a special needs teacher. I’m pretty fucking devastated right now.

Very late to reading this, but god that is awful.

Special education teachers truly are the best among us. They work harder and longer than most and get little to special recognition or compensation. They all do it out of the goodness of the hearts. I didn't come close to understanding what they go through until I started teaching. Their work days are exhausting and endless. Special needs educators are real life saints.

I was reading the other day that WV was having better than average success doing it through pharmacies.

What's amazing is the logistical and infrastructure challenges in WV are LEAGUES harder to overcome than a place like NC. I grew up in WV and that state is unenviable in so many respects. The fact they have done it better than other places in the country is to their credit, and should be a point of shame for other states in the union.

What's amazing is the logistical and infrastructure challenges in WV are LEAGUES harder to overcome than a place like NC. I grew up in WV and that state is unenviable in so many respects. The fact they have done it better than other places in the country is to their credit, and should be a point of shame for other states in the union.

If there is only a small amount of vaccine to give, it is much easier to overcome logistic issues than if there is a lot to give. I think that explains most of why the smaller states have given a higher percentage of their vaccine - the small numbers simplify logistics.

To be fair they know how to pass a needle around.

If there is only a small amount of vaccine to give, it is much easier to overcome logistic issues than if there is a lot to give. I think that explains most of why the smaller states have given a higher percentage of their vaccine - the small numbers simplify logistics.

Correct, the easiest way to look great from a percentage standpoint is to lower the denominator.

Correct, the easiest way to look great from a percentage standpoint is to lower the denominator.

sure, this is true, but West Virginia has delivered first doses far more effectively than other similarly populated or smaller states:

34% better than Vermont
50% better than New Hampshire
55% better than Maine
58% better than Nebraska

75% better than Iowa
96% better than Mississippi
105% better than Kansas

etc.

data here as of yesterday

I think this is the first post in this thread where you sound like you're talking about something you don't fully understand.

sure, this is true, but West Virginia has delivered first doses far more effectively than other similarly populated or smaller states:

34% better than Vermont
50% better than New Hampshire
55% better than Maine
58% better than Nebraska

75% better than Iowa
96% better than Mississippi
105% better than Kansas

etc.

data here as of yesterday

Good point. This article suggests that West Virginia is doing well because they are not working with CVS and Walgreens https://www.npr.org/sections/health...ng-the-race-to-get-covid-19-vaccine-into-arms

Both my parents and my inlaws have received their first dose. I’m about a month away from being a lot more relaxed

I think this is the first post in this thread where you sound like you're talking about something you don't fully understand.

I think I have a pretty good handle on it - myself and all my colleagues have gone through the process and I advise multiple people per day on how to get the COVID vaccine.

As an example, if 100 vaccines need to be given by one group, they could be shipped to a single site, given by a single nurse, and completely distributed to 100 patients in a day, without difficulty. Whereas if 100,000 vaccines need to be given by one group, this will require many sites, hundreds of nurses, and it may take many days to distribute all the vaccines. But, as thatguy2016 pointed out, the denominator isn't the only factor in COVID vaccine distribution.

Friend of mine is a 1A RN and she cant figure out how to get the vaccine anywhere down here. She isn't being offered it through her work.

In today's example of how poorly the school system is run, our county has excess vaccines that they are distributing on a first come/first serve basis. Yet per a county wide directive from our central office, teachers aren't allowed to leave during school time to receive the vaccine. So I can go get my haircut during my planning period, but I can't go get a potentially life saving vaccine during a pandemic. Meanwhile, the next county over, a teacher died last week from Covid. We live in fucking crazy world.

yeah say you're getting a haircut, shave your head, and then go get the shot

when you have to do the second dose, dye your hair pink and get the second shot

Back