Page 245 of 245 FirstFirst ... 145195235240241242243244245
Results 4,881 to 4,890 of 4890

Thread: Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
    so wake county opened their vaccine reservation tool at 830 this am and it promptly crashed and burned. there is so much fail i really don't get it - as i said somewhere in this thread they've known a vaccine would likely get approved for *six fucking months* and it is just clown shoes everywhere. yeah i get Trump is a shitbag and the feds didn't help at all, but states and counties have piled more incompetence on top of incompetence.
    I physically lust for the sociological studies that come out of this time period. I would have zero surprise if one of the findings is that the extended quarantine has so deeply impacted productivity and mental moral that the vaccine distribution process has suffered.

I know that there have been some studies (some recent and very compelling) that indicate that working from home can significantly boost productivity. But that's not really what we're doing - we're working from home in a pandemic. Schools are beyond fucked for scheduling. There's rampant malaise. Most of the things that make our lives better (maids/housekeepers, cooks/restaurants, schools/childcare) have been eliminated or modified beyond recognition.

At the end of each week, I'm always baffled at how little went according to plan each week. Either one of the kids had their classes cancelled, or moved on line, due to COVID or the weather; or they tried to start back up soccer/basketball/whatever else and it went off for a week, then shut down; or we made plans that were cancelled at the last minute, or one of our friends asked for childcare but then cancelled at the last minute - every week of my life since March has basically been an unmitigated shitshow. Personally, I'm still marginally productive, but it's so fucking draining.

There's no way that this pattern isn't repeating itself at nearly every level of local government.

Scooter Banks

Quote Originally Posted by mako1331 View Post
    Just found out that one of the sweetest, most genuine people Iíve ever known passed from Covid today. A special needs teacher at my old school. In her mid 30s. Leaves behind a husband and a 6 and 8 year old that she adopted from unimaginably horrible circumstances. Caught it from a kid in her class because itís pretty hard to socially distance as a special needs teacher. Iím pretty fucking devastated right now.
    Uuggghh. Brutal -- sorry, man.

so wake county opened their vaccine reservation tool at 830 this am and it promptly crashed and burned. there is so much fail i really don't get it - as i said somewhere in this thread they've known a vaccine would likely get approved for *six fucking months* and it is just clown shoes everywhere. yeah i get Trump is a shitbag and the feds didn't help at all, but states and counties have piled more incompetence on top of incompetence.
    It's almost like government is incompetent AF.

Quote Originally Posted by WFcatamount22 View Post
    This is true. But I bet that government is especially incompetent AF right now.

It was just overloaded 'cause of course everyone tried to get on the site right when it opened. It was back up and working by the middle of the day.

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WFcatamount22 View Post
    There are many private med centers that have completely screwed up vaccine distribution.

Actually, health departments have done this vaccine rollout better than anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafi View Post
    There are many private med centers that have completely screwed up vaccine distribution.

Actually, health departments have done this vaccine rollout better than anyone.
    I was reading the other day that WV was having better than average success doing it through pharmacies.

Quote Originally Posted by mako1331 View Post
    Just found out that one of the sweetest, most genuine people Iíve ever known passed from Covid today. A special needs teacher at my old school. In her mid 30s. Leaves behind a husband and a 6 and 8 year old that she adopted from unimaginably horrible circumstances. Caught it from a kid in her class because itís pretty hard to socially distance as a special needs teacher. Iím pretty fucking devastated right now.
    Very late to reading this, but god that is awful.

Special education teachers truly are the best among us. They work harder and longer than most and get little to special recognition or compensation. They all do it out of the goodness of the hearts. I didn't come close to understanding what they go through until I started teaching. Their work days are exhausting and endless. Special needs educators are real life saints.

Quote Originally Posted by cville deac View Post
    I was reading the other day that WV was having better than average success doing it through pharmacies.
    What's amazing is the logistical and infrastructure challenges in WV are LEAGUES harder to overcome than a place like NC. I grew up in WV and that state is unenviable in so many respects. The fact they have done it better than other places in the country is to their credit, and should be a point of shame for other states in the union.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Deac Doug View Post
    What's amazing is the logistical and infrastructure challenges in WV are LEAGUES harder to overcome than a place like NC. I grew up in WV and that state is unenviable in so many respects. The fact they have done it better than other places in the country is to their credit, and should be a point of shame for other states in the union.
    If there is only a small amount of vaccine to give, it is much easier to overcome logistic issues than if there is a lot to give. I think that explains most of why the smaller states have given a higher percentage of their vaccine - the small numbers simplify logistics.