• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

On this note, they are currently vaccinating healthcare workers, right? So there are various sites where you can go on and sign up for the shot and identify yourself as a healthcare worker to confirm eligibility. Well, confirmed by my nurse wife and some of her healthcare friends who have been vaccinated, when you get there for the shot there is no requirement whatsoever to prove that you are actually a healthcare worker - no simple "can you show me your nurse's badge" - nothing. What is the point of the restriction, then? My wife saw multiple people that were clearly jumping the line... I want everyone to get the shot and everything but that is a little annoying when I am sitting here wondering when I might be able to get it.

Mandy Cohen confirmed that there would be no confirmation or ID required for the shots in Group 3, just honor system. I wouldn't jump the line but would definitely take a leftover shot. And anecdotally, it would appear that there are leftover shots in the Greater Charlotte region that can be had with a little effort other than being in the right place at the right time. FTR, I'm Group 4.

Last edited:
I received word that my cat and I can start volunteering at the Children's Hospital again next month!

I was super hungover today and I’m sure it was attributed to COVID in the numbers.

Fear of that minute chance they were wrong.

It really frustrated me how people were gaming these odds. One of my superiors was all, "well, even though you're vaccinated, you could be spreading it to everyone without them knowing." Like, I get that some things about COVID-19 have been different, but shit would have to be dramatically biologically different to shed in infectious quantities from an individual with a mature immune response to the disease. I feel like the 0.05% of this being the case was treated way closer to 99% by a lot of folks.

It really frustrated me how people were gaming these odds. One of my superiors was all, "well, even though you're vaccinated, you could be spreading it to everyone without them knowing." Like, I get that some things about COVID-19 have been different, but shit would have to be dramatically biologically different to shed in infectious quantities from an individual with a mature immune response to the disease. I feel like the 0.05% of this being the case was treated way closer to 99% by a lot of folks.

I mean, p<0.05 is exactly the statistical standard that is pervasive in all biological sciences. We don't believe things are true until there is a 0.05 probability that they aren't true. That's a heavy standard and it doesn't bother me one bit that we are 10x more careful a deadly disease than we are with soil type effects on crop yields, or any other mundane t-test driven science that impacts our lives.

Fear of that minute chance they were wrong.

There has got to be some actuarial liability assessments behind the reticence to come out and say "It most likely blocks transmission"... because if they say it prematurely (i.e., before the data are irrefutable) and some people die, Pfaizer would get a pile of lawsuits.

Public needs things in black and white because that’s how they think, aka dumb as shit.

well there are gonna be a lot of "VACCINES WORK AND YOU DON'T SPREAD COVID ONCE YOU'RE JABBED UP" people shouting from the rooftops and once they're widely available I am skeptical that people, especially vaccinated people, will be wearing masks this fall maybe even this summer. if they're making the effort to get vaccinated, it's because they've heard the good news.

There has got to be some actuarial liability assessments behind the reticence to come out and say "It most likely blocks transmission"... because if they say it prematurely (i.e., before the data are irrefutable) and some people die, Pfaizer would get a pile of lawsuits.

I thought USA's vaccination liability protection was very strong.

I thought USA's vaccination liability protection was very strong.

I was speculating. I don't know about vaccination liability law.

Even so, these companies were just trying to avoid the low probability but very embarrassing retraction about the vaccine blocking the spread and it only cost society 2.5 extra months of ineffectively wearing masks around their chins. There is enough vaccine distrust out there due to totally dumb "science," I don't blame them for being extra risk averse with the PR. I could see why someone running a food and beverage service company might be miffed though.

I’ve said before once vaccines are freely available to anyone that wants one, meaning you can walk into Publix at 2
In the afternoon and say I’d like to be vaccinated like you can with the flu shot, then mask off, go buck wild, and if someone gets sick that was their fault for not getting vaccinated (yes aware some people can’t get vaccinated but that’s such a sna percentage and that applies to all vaccines for them)

I’ve said before once vaccines are freely available to anyone that wants one, meaning you can walk into Publix at 2
In the afternoon and say I’d like to be vaccinated like you can with the flu shot, then mask off, go buck wild, and if someone gets sick that was their fault for not getting vaccinated (yes aware some people can’t get vaccinated but that’s such a sna percentage and that applies to all vaccines for them)
Yep this is exactly where I am at. If you choose not to get vaccinated and get sick, sucks to sucks bro, it’s time for us to get back to normal.

Y'all think that the Johnson and Johnson will be good enough for the vaccine passport?

That is really all i want.

I mean you will get the CDC vaccination card and I assume that will be the basis of any future vaccine passport. There has never been a global multi vaccine roll out and I am unsure how it will be determined country to country given the different emergency use authorizations. I think in the US the leader type status will give a good enough for thee good enough for me for all countries so any US vaccine means good to go.

Y'all think that the Johnson and Johnson will be good enough for the vaccine passport?

That is really all i want.

The differences in calculated efficacy numbers may well be differences without significance. Contributing factors:#small sample size, later testing when more variants existed in the virus, and randomness of people.

Back