• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Once the vaccine is available to anyone that wants one, as in you can just walk into a CVS and get a shot no appointment, I am done on masks. Or really giving a fuck.

Yeah, I was thinking the other day that if CA keeps a mask requirement up where I can't go to a bar and play darts or go to a Clipper game with a mask off I'd seriously consider moving. Cause this isn't gonna be our last pandemic.

Once the vaccine is available to anyone that wants one, as in you can just walk into a CVS and get a shot no appointment, I am done on masks. Or really giving a fuck.

I do a lot of work in rural areas and there is more mask wearing than I anticipated but now that i'm vaxxed up it doesn't bother me as much when people don't wear 'em.

Vaya con dios, non-maskers, I got dumbass insurance now.

I feel like there needs to be a better job explaining to people the potential of what happens when you exert selective pressure with vaccines against a virus that still has a high replication rate. Though then again won’t matter to the it’s all fake crowd anyways.

Hanging out post jab in a CVS and I’m in soft-rock Muzak hell

OH god, Walmart had "I'm Blue, daba-di daba-die" playing while I waited my 15 minutes on monday. I'm not sure if that or the vaccine cased my three day headache.

I saw that Wake County is suspending the J&J after some people at the PNC Center had adverse reactions

The vaccinefinder site he used might be accurate in showing supply, but it is worthless for finding an appointment. It is still difficult to find a vaccine appointment in Austin. That’s how I ended up getting mine in Waco. I think Cata did too. We got some of that championship juice in us now.

Brews wanted further elaboration about my post above, in simplistic terms its the life will find a way idea, also microevolution in real time. Viruses are always mutating, some mutations are deleterious some are beneficial, but for the most part these mutations don't matter and are neutral especially when you have an easy steady supply of potential hosts to infect. Mutations matter when you begin to restrict essentially supply and demand, number of viruses out there and number of potential hosts. (The other instance when they matter is when you factor in length of time of an infection, its pretty certain the British variant came about by replicating in immunocompromised people where the virus was able to stay within a human host, mutate, and figure out what works best over a lengthy period of time)

For what I mentioned above with vaccines its the first, number of hosts and number of infections, or replicating virus that can cause mutations. Before vaccines came along the supply of hosts was essentially unlimited, if a mutation came along it didn't matter it would be outcompeted by the "normal" virus, there was just too much of it and no pressure against it. Now we are reaching a point where we are exerting selective pressure for escape, and it wouldn't really matter if the number of vaccinated continued to rise to an acceptable level 70/80% but we are a dumb country and it already seems like we are hitting the plateau. If you allow the virus to keep replicating at a high level, testing itself against the vaccine, you are eventually going to get a breakthrough (the caveat being that the area that is targeted by the vaccine is essential so the mutation would need to be exceptionally complex)

For those more visual of learners imagine the virus is a body with no arms and human infection is the finish line. In the beginning of the pandemic the no arms virus just runs to the finish line and infects the next person, producing more no arm viruses. Sometimes you get a mutation and now you are a no arm virus with three eyes, four ears, etc... but to get those extra eyes you lose a toe and slow down, and the normal no arm viruses reach the finish line first and extra eyes don't give you any advantage. Along comes the vaccine, anytime the no arm virus tries to reach the finish line there's now a door in front of them and they just bang against the door but can't get in. Yet there's still 50,000 infected people producing weird mutations, and one of those mutations produces an arm and hand, but loses a leg. Slowly it limps to the door, finds all the armless viruses banging hopelessly and opens it with there weird mutant hand.

OH god, Walmart had "I'm Blue, daba-di daba-die" playing while I waited my 15 minutes on monday. I'm not sure if that or the vaccine cased my three day headache.

one of the fun things about the show Superstore was nailing the big box store atmosphere during their 5-second transition scenes

Last graphic representation I saw in the last few days did indicate the percent saying they'd decline has been gradually shrinking over time. I hope that trend continues.

It’s easy to pretend to be a badass vaccine refuser when the concept of getting one is still pretty remote. Much harder to turn down when they’re right there available in front of you.

Just got Pfizer 2, let’s see how these side effects go...

2 ACC schools already requiring students be fully vaccinated before start of fall semester (Duke & Syracuse) - how long until Wake comes out with its policy?

Brews wanted further elaboration about my post above, in simplistic terms its the life will find a way idea, also microevolution in real time. Viruses are always mutating, some mutations are deleterious some are beneficial, but for the most part these mutations don't matter and are neutral especially when you have an easy steady supply of potential hosts to infect. Mutations matter when you begin to restrict essentially supply and demand, number of viruses out there and number of potential hosts. (The other instance when they matter is when you factor in length of time of an infection, its pretty certain the British variant came about by replicating in immunocompromised people where the virus was able to stay within a human host, mutate, and figure out what works best over a lengthy period of time)

For what I mentioned above with vaccines its the first, number of hosts and number of infections, or replicating virus that can cause mutations. Before vaccines came along the supply of hosts was essentially unlimited, if a mutation came along it didn't matter it would be outcompeted by the "normal" virus, there was just too much of it and no pressure against it. Now we are reaching a point where we are exerting selective pressure for escape, and it wouldn't really matter if the number of vaccinated continued to rise to an acceptable level 70/80% but we are a dumb country and it already seems like we are hitting the plateau. If you allow the virus to keep replicating at a high level, testing itself against the vaccine, you are eventually going to get a breakthrough (the caveat being that the area that is targeted by the vaccine is essential so the mutation would need to be exceptionally complex)

For those more visual of learners imagine the virus is a body with no arms and human infection is the finish line. In the beginning of the pandemic the no arms virus just runs to the finish line and infects the next person, producing more no arm viruses. Sometimes you get a mutation and now you are a no arm virus with three eyes, four ears, etc... but to get those extra eyes you lose a toe and slow down, and the normal no arm viruses reach the finish line first and extra eyes don't give you any advantage. Along comes the vaccine, anytime the no arm virus tries to reach the finish line there's now a door in front of them and they just bang against the door but can't get in. Yet there's still 50,000 infected people producing weird mutations, and one of those mutations produces an arm and hand, but loses a leg. Slowly it limps to the door, finds all the armless viruses banging hopelessly and opens it with there weird mutant hand.

This is a weird post about RJKarl.

After first shot a bit over 24 hours ago, all is well, I can just can tell my arm was jabbed recently but nothing beyond that.

FEMA had their shit down, super efficient process, literally in and out (+15 minutes).

Back