• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Got Pfizer jab 2 on Tuesday and today the inside of my armpit hurts. Wife had the same thing with hers. Turns out it’s your lymph node swelling which is normal.

On Friday I went to my first social gathering since March 2020, a retirement party largely populated by retirement-aged Polish people. I think my hangover today was worse than my Pfizer 2 side effects.

Got Pfizer jab 2 on Tuesday and today the inside of my armpit hurts. Wife had the same thing with hers. Turns out it’s your lymph node swelling which is normal.

Glad you posted this. I got my Pfizer dose dos shot on Friday morning and I still feel like I'm holding a golf ball under my left armpit. Other than being slightly run-down (and the Titleist), I'm pretty much back to normal.

Second shot poked 3 hours ago. So far feeling alright. Also feeling that good myself (oh yeah).

went hiking at hanging rock and saw plenty of people wearing masks. Now it may be for allergies, but the general risk of catching covid hiking up a mountain is just crazy low.

I got a swollen lymph node in my neck about 6 days after the first moderna jab. Kinda freaked me out for a day given my cancer history...but it’s a fairly common (12% of recipients) side effect.

Saw a lady driving alone with her convertible roof down and a mask on over the weekend. Are people just that uninformed on what the mask requirements were (before the outdoor one was ended for NC)? Or is there some set of the population that thinks you can get sick if you walk anywhere outside your front door? I'm not going to fault those who choose to be more cautious than the mandates specify, but some of this is bordering on absurdity.

Perhaps she was heading to a drive through window.

Or grocery store.

And wanted to put on her mask while her hands were just washed at home.

Or maybe it helps with her allergies.

?

Saw a lady driving alone with her convertible roof down and a mask on over the weekend. Are people just that uninformed on what the mask requirements were (before the outdoor one was ended for NC)? Or is there some set of the population that thinks you can get sick if you walk anywhere outside your front door? I'm not going to fault those who choose to be more cautious than the mandates specify, but some of this is bordering on absurdity.

Maybe she just forgot to take it off? I've driven half-way home from work before realizing I have my mask on still. I guess wearing a mask just really isn't a big deal to me.

Maybe she doesn't want to be mistaken for a Republican.

I have worn a mask doing yard work this pollen season for sure. Will probably do that in future years as well.

Perhaps she was heading to a drive through window.

Or grocery store.

And wanted to put on her mask while her hands were just washed at home.

Or maybe it helps with her allergies.

?

This X 1000. I always just go ahead and put my mask on when going out to run errands because I know my hands are clean.

Some people like wearing a mask bc when wearing one they don't have to pretend to feel emotions

Not gonna lie, I have found contentment in not having to give that fake "hi" smile in passing.

Wearing a mask costs me nothing and hurts no one. I don't wear mine outside but if someone wants to, why would I care?

I’ve said before once vaccines are freely available to anyone that wants one, meaning you can walk into Publix at 2
In the afternoon and say I’d like to be vaccinated like you can with the flu shot, then mask off, go buck wild, and if someone gets sick that was their fault for not getting vaccinated (yes aware some people can’t get vaccinated but that’s such a sna percentage and that applies to all vaccines for them)

hell yeah

Vaccination Against COVID 'Does Not Mean Immunity' For People With Organ Transplants

For now, scientists say the best chance that Burns and others have to be protected from getting COVID-19 is for everyone else around them to get vaccinated.

"It's yet another reason for everybody in the United States to go and get vaccinated," says Segev, "because your body can produce an immune response to protect you and all of those around you — so that people whose bodies cannot produce an immune response can somehow be protected."

Keefer calls that responsibility to the community "the burden of good health."

"If you're lucky to be completely healthy," she says, "the burden of that is to step up and help protect yourself and others and get the vaccine. And that's all you have to do."

New Study Estimates More Than 900,000 People Have Died Of COVID-19 In U.S.

A new study estimates that the number of people who have died of COVID-19 in the U.S. is more than 900,000, a number 57% higher than official figures.

Worldwide, the study's authors say, the COVID-19 death count is nearing 7 million, more than double the reported number of 3.24 million.

The analysis comes from researchers at the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, who looked at excess mortality from March 2020 through May 3, 2021, compared it with what would be expected in a typical nonpandemic year, then adjusted those figures to account for a handful of other pandemic-related factors.

Contains a link to the study.

Back