• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

43 year old female teacher here in our area just died - no known co-morbidities. 4 kids aged 7 to 17. She was vaccine hesitant - wanted more data. Tragically realized her mistake too late - called her husband from the hospital and told him to take the 17 yo to get vaccinated. I am tired of hearing these stories. Get your shot, people.

43 year old female teacher here in our area just died - no known co-morbidities. 4 kids aged 7 to 17. She was vaccine hesitant - wanted more data. Tragically realized her mistake too late - called her husband from the hospital and told him to take the 17 yo to get vaccinated. I am tired of hearing these stories. Get your shot, people.

Guy I went to high school died this week. Day short of his 45th birthday. Wife was vaccinated. He wasn't. Got along with him back in the day. We talked about sports a lot on Facebook. Giants fan. Hated Lebron GOAT talk. Real good guy. Sucks.

Guy I went to high school died this week. Day short of his 45th birthday. Wife was vaccinated. He wasn't. Got along with him back in the day. We talked about sports a lot on Facebook. Giants fan. Hated Lebron GOAT talk. Real good guy. Sucks.
Did his Facebook profile or anything else say why he wasn't vaccinated?

Did his Facebook profile or anything else say why he wasn't vaccinated?

Nope. Nothing public about COVID at all. My parents asked his family back home.

https://news.trust.org/item/20211001194329-xkwip

Yet again more proof that boosters are not just a cash grab by the pharmaceutical companies.

If we don't get on the ball to fucking approving this for everybody soon, we're going to be in a world of fucking hurt, We will have multiple strains of the virus, that everyone can catch. Yeah, maybe your body will fight it off quicker than otherwise, but it's still fertile ground for mutations and additional variants; never mind that people still get severe consequences from the breakthrough infections.

https://news.trust.org/item/20211001194329-xkwip

Yet again more proof that boosters are not just a cash grab by the pharmaceutical companies.

If we don't get on the ball to fucking approving this for everybody soon, we're going to be in a world of fucking hurt, We will have multiple strains of the virus, that everyone can catch. Yeah, maybe your body will fight it off quicker than otherwise, but it's still fertile ground for mutations and additional variants; never mind that people still get severe consequences from the breakthrough infections.

I’m a good month after being “over it” and every time I walk for a few minutes I get a bit of a cough. Now I’ve done some serious damage to the ole lungs after 20 years of smoking including smoking for s few days a couple weeks ago. But ordinarily a smokers cough has some phlegm and you get something up. This one nothings coming up. It’s not debilitating, it’s not constant; it’s just there. A little bit. Who knows for how long

Took a home COVID test last night after clocking a fever of 101.

Came back negative thankfully.

I got the booster yesterday in the study. This thing is whipping my ass way harder than the first two shots. I think it's the same formula, but my body feels like they injected plague into me. Sweats and crazy dreams last night.

heard from a few people the booster side effects are worse than the previous shots

Some soreness at the injection site for a few days is all I experienced with my Pfizer booster.

It makes some sense that side effects reflecting immune system reactivity might be more notable with a booster. We’ll have to see over time what more data shows.

No doubt the whole endeavor will continue to evolve wrt to timing, dosages, etc.

I got a Pfizer booster last week and had little to no side effects :noidea:

Yeah I had my booster awhile ago and it did nothing, in comparison had absolute shit time with the second shot though, malaise, extreme myalgia, 102+ temp for 2 days, rigors, lymphadenopathy where my draining cervical lymph node was the size of a golf ball for weeks, good times yet I did it again with all that being a chance.

I do have a hypothesis that it’s not just strictly immune related, though that plays a huge part and could also be related to whatever your body is constantly engaged with at that time (you are in a constant state of “infection”). Instead I think it’s somewhat dependent on efficiency of RNA uptake, cell type, and current replication capacity of the cell. There’s no controlling that with the vaccine and the reason why dose response is pretty randomized across the board.

Got booster shot last night and feel fine. Played basketball this morning. But had COVID in February and it sucked.

Yeah I had my booster awhile ago and it did nothing, in comparison had absolute shit time with the second shot though, malaise, extreme myalgia, 102+ temp for 2 days, rigors, lymphadenopathy where my draining cervical lymph node was the size of a golf ball for weeks, good times yet I did it again with all that being a chance.

I do have a hypothesis that it’s not just strictly immune related, though that plays a huge part and could also be related to whatever your body is constantly engaged with at that time (you are in a constant state of “infection”). Instead I think it’s somewhat dependent on efficiency of RNA uptake, cell type, and current replication capacity of the cell. There’s no controlling that with the vaccine and the reason why dose response is pretty randomized across the board.

I haven’t bothered to try and assess the potential validity of this idea but I’ve wondered if with the mRNA vaccines part of the variability in response might relate to post-cold-storage time until injection. In other words, I wonder if there’s a decay factor of mRNA that causes less response over time from storage removal/warming. This seems like it could be a bigger factor with the Pfizer product…maybe???

Anyhow, I presume if protocols are followed then the injection is likely to do what it’s supposed to. But I wonder if there could be some variability related to the warmed time and, of course, protocols may not always be followed exactly.

Yeah certainly a factor, viability of RNA though is easier to measure and quantitate, I think that’s why they ended up easing off their cold storage requirements some. What’s nearly impossible to quantitate is amount of spike protein generated by individuals, too many variables person to person. In a standard vaccine the dose means the dose, here’s x amount of spoke, or x amount whole inactivated virus. Even with viral vectors it’s related to a known replication rate. Here it’s RNA, find a cell, what cell, any since it’s non-specific passage uptake, replicate for who knows how long until your body breaks down the RNA, and how fast, who knows depends on the ribosomal and cellular composition of the unknown random passive uptake cell that came along.

Back