• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Scientists at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine have isolated “the smallest biological molecule” that “completely and specifically neutralizes” SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes the novel coronavirus.

The antibody component is 10 times smaller than a full-sized antibody, and has been used to create the drug Ab8, shared in the report published by the researchers in the journal Cell on Monday. The drug is seen as a potential preventative against SARS-CoV-2.

Researchers are also “thinking outside the box” for how the drug could be administered, stating it may be able to be inhaled or through a superficial injection, instead of an IV.
Researchers are also “thinking outside the box” for how the drug could be administered, stating it may be able to be inhaled or through a superficial injection, instead of an IV. (iStock)

According to the report, the drug has been “highly effective in preventing and treating” the SARS-CoV-2 infections in mice and hamsters during tests. The drug also reportedly does not bind to human cells, which suggests it will not have negative side-effects in people.

“Ab8 not only has potential as therapy for COVID-19, but it also could be used to keep people from getting SARS-CoV-2 infections,” said co-author John Mellors, chief of the Division of Infectious Diseases at Pitt and UPMC. “Antibodies of larger size have worked against other infectious diseases and have been well tolerated, giving us hope that it could be an effective treatment for patients with COVID-19 and for protection of those who have never had the infection and are not immune.”

Xianglei Liu of Pitt is also co-lead author of the study.

Researchers are also “thinking outside the box” for how the drug could be administered, stating it may be able to be inhaled or through a superficial injection, instead of an IV.

According to the report, the team at University of Texas Medical Branch Center for Biodefense and Emerging Diseases and Galveston National Laboratory tested Ab8 and found it blocked the virus from entering cells. In mice trials, those treated with Ab8 had 10-fold less of the amount of infectious virus compared to those that were untreated.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/university-pittsburgh-antibody-neutralizes-coronavirus

Any idea how it might be administered? They should definitely think outside the box.

If there ever was a time for "thinking outside the box," this is it.

If there ever was a time for "thinking outside the box," this is it.

41zorIuUSML.jpg

I wonder if they could attach it to UV light and shine it inside the body.

Man, great idea. The body is really dense though (lots of water), so the light would have to be fairly sizable. In order to deeply penetrate the body's core, it would have to go in through the anus. I think it's a sure thing that you'd have to make sure that the light was dry when it went in - any sort of surfactant might impede the light deeply penetrating the patient.

A00Y_1_20190417292434407.jpg

Maybe something like this? https://blinkee.com/product/light-u...H-x32_CxfWjLKSN-emHQ2shLn_QXqUfBoCXCEQAvD_BwE

Nobody talkin' bout phase 3? Who's gonna go watch some football?

Trump will be watching from quarantine now, nonpolitically.

Any logistics experts in the house?

That video is a pretty good synopsis of the challenges to distribution of any approved Covid vaccine. The Pfizer vaccine is a particularly big challenge because of the -68C storage. Dry ice sublimates around -78C. Unclear from the video if the 10 degree difference is significant. That is, why can't a place just add dry ice?

That makes the Moderna vaccine much less of a challenge, particularly if getting it colder is OK. Many freezers reach -20C. (Ship packed in dry ice, store in freezer, thaw as needed for administration.) Dry ice frozen shipping is common for food. (Omaha Steaks, crabcakes...) Also frequently done for specialty biochemicals.

Dry ice isn't totally benign to ship. There needs to be someplace for the carbon dioxide to go from the shipping container. And it has to be someplace where it won't accumulate and asphyxiate anyone. The "big three" cargo shippers and major airlines are have been handling the issue successfully for many years.

That video is a pretty good synopsis of the challenges to distribution of any approved Covid vaccine. The Pfizer vaccine is a particularly big challenge because of the -68C storage. Dry ice sublimates around -78C. Unclear from the video if the 10 degree difference is significant. That is, why can't a place just add dry ice?

That makes the Moderna vaccine much less of a challenge, particularly if getting it colder is OK. Many freezers reach -20C. (Ship packed in dry ice, store in freezer, thaw as needed for administration.) Dry ice frozen shipping is common for food. (Omaha Steaks, crabcakes...) Also frequently done for specialty biochemicals.

Dry ice isn't totally benign to ship. There needs to be someplace for the carbon dioxide to go from the shipping container. And it has to be someplace where it won't accumulate and asphyxiate anyone. The "big three" cargo shippers and major airlines are have been handling the issue successfully for many years.

I'm in the Pfizer trial. I was speaking with the supervising physician about this point, and he said that it's a huge logistical hurdle, because "just add dry ice to a medical facility" is a giant jump in demand for dry ice. Also, having an area to store it in volume is a pain in the ass.

I could totally see it being by appointment only, where the Pfizer vaccine is kept in a central location in each state, then people make appointments on a certain day of the week/month, and that's when the vaccine is going to be distributed. It just doesn't make sense to have it on standby for whenever.

I'm in the Pfizer trial. I was speaking with the supervising physician about this point, and he said that it's a huge logistical hurdle, because "just add dry ice to a medical facility" is a giant jump in demand for dry ice. Also, having an area to store it in volume is a pain in the ass.

I could totally see it being by appointment only, where the Pfizer vaccine is kept in a central location in each state, then people make appointments on a certain day of the week/month, and that's when the vaccine is going to be distributed. It just doesn't make sense to have it on standby for whenever.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I read that. That also basically ensures that people in places like Kinston will take 3 years to get the vaccine.

Back