• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

I mean, it does when you are talking about mitigating an immune system response.

That's fair. And that's the argument they are making.

So call it closer to 90% than 62% within that window.

There are other benefits to the AZN version of the vaccine, as well.

Seems like storage and cost are huge for the AstraZeneca candidate, especially as it relates to reaching developing countries and rural geographies.

Not sure where but I’ve read that “herd immunity” requires about 70% immunity with in the herd. If true, the AZ vaccine, with it’s easy storage and transportation requirements will be pretty good at getting us to global herd immunity pretty quickly.

Not sure where but I’ve read that “herd immunity” requires about 70% immunity with in the herd. If true, the AZ vaccine, with it’s easy storage and transportation requirements will be pretty good at getting us to global herd immunity pretty quickly.

One downside to these first three vaccines in the two shot requirement with some weeks in between. That dosing requirement could be a big ask in some parts of the world. It will be interesting to see the data as to whether there were cases of covid-19 in the vaccine side of the trial during the weeks between shots. Not likely, but not impossible.

I just got a Covid test at 300 West Tryon St, Hillsborough. No line as of 9:30am!! If you are nearby or driving through, they take walk-ups (although I did register, they asked the same contact info as on registration). Look for a tent in the back of the parking lot across from Orange Co Health Center. This is the shallow nasal swab. It tickled.

One downside to these first three vaccines in the two shot requirement with some weeks in between. That dosing requirement could be a big ask in some parts of the world. It will be interesting to see the data as to whether there were cases of covid-19 in the vaccine side of the trial during the weeks between shots. Not likely, but not impossible.

Honestly the sad reality is by the time the manufacturing ramps up for the rest of the world, the next generation single shot vaccines will probably be good to go. With that said the vaccine networks in low income counties is actually significantly more sound then one would think, compliance, distribution, and more importantly in adults is common place simply because of all the other vaccines and disease.

Key points from the article above:

Mr. Pangalos told Reuters on Monday that the company had not intended for any participants to receive the half dose. British researchers running the trial there had meant to give the full dose initially to volunteers, but a miscalculation meant they were mistakenly given only a half dose. Mr. Pangalos described the error as “serendipity,” allowing researchers to stumble onto a more promising dosing regimen.

Then, on Tuesday, Moncef Slaoui, the head of Operation Warp Speed, the U.S. initiative to fast-track coronavirus vaccines, noted another limitation in AstraZeneca’s data. On a call with reporters, he suggested that the participants who received the half-strength initial dose had been 55 years old or younger.

Mr. Pangalos confirmed that on Wednesday, saying the participants received the half-strength dose over a matter of weeks before the error was discovered.

The fact that the initial half-strength dose wasn’t tested in older participants, who are especially vulnerable to Covid-19, could undermine AstraZeneca’s case to regulators that the vaccine should be authorized for emergency use.

Not sure if anyone in here uses South Park Family Pharmacy on Clemmonsville Rd, but I have it on good authority that the owner does not follow Covid procedures at all (No cleaning, no 6ft social distancing, no masks, nothing to avoid contamination or spread) and doesn't allow his staff time off to even get tested, even though he has had Covid and other employees have had it themselves.

He's been reported to the BBB multiple times and yet nothing has happened.

Just be aware that some people just don't give a fuck about you or anyone else.

Not sure if anyone in here uses South Park Family Pharmacy on Clemmonsville Rd, but I have it on good authority that the owner does not follow Covid procedures at all (No cleaning, no 6ft social distancing, no masks, nothing to avoid contamination or spread) and doesn't allow his staff time off to even get tested, even though he has had Covid and other employees have had it themselves.

Just be aware that some people just don't give a fuck about you or anyone else.

with the stricter mandates in place in NC can you now report to the authorities?

I, for one, am shocked that the boomer business bureau would let this slide.

:wtf:

BBB is not a government agency.

It is a scam. Expecting them to enforce Covid19 protocols is just bizarre.

I don't have a subscription, but the lead is that Covid was spreading in the US (and probably elsewhere in the world) in December 2019, before it was recognized in China or anywhere else.

Well, duh. Why do they think it is called COVID-19 and not COVID-20?

Nearly 2500 deaths yesterday. The coming weeks are going to be grim.

It’s crazy that bars are still open, just batshit crazy. Even indoor dining should be closed but at least that is related to something you must do, bars just 100% option dumb fuckery

It’s crazy that bars are still open, just batshit crazy. Even indoor dining should be closed but at least that is related to something you must do, bars just 100% option dumb fuckery

But what about people's jobs and the financial ruin and suicides that leads to?

Back