• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

it's almost like 2&2 refuses to use the data presented and is much happier with the security of the explanation that may have had more purchase a few months ago.

The world’s a complex and scary place, but apparently not quite as scary as taking a job at 2&2s firm.

2&2 refuses to consider those people just got other jobs. The idea that they inquired and didn't follow up with one position means they're just happy unemployed is comical.

Even if you ignored all the data, it comes down to assuming that people have permanently left the work force after 8 months of $400 childcare payments! Use your brain! If someone has…3 children, that’s only $1200 a month! And the child care payments already ended! Whatever job your presume this hypothetical parent of 3 held, they only needed $300 a week to quit! Who in the fuck would ever complain about that? Jesus. Is it really so goddamn important that this parent of 3 hold down a part time job as a dollar store cashier? The economy will crash without them wasting 20 hours of their lives every week?

Even if you ignored all the data, it comes down to assuming that people have permanently left the work force after 8 months of $400 childcare payments! Use your brain! If someone has…3 children, that’s only $1200 a month! And the child care payments already ended! Whatever job your presume this hypothetical parent of 3 held, they only needed $300 a week to quit! Who in the fuck would ever complain about that? Jesus. Is it really so goddamn important that this parent of 3 hold down a part time job as a dollar store cashier? The economy will crash without them wasting 20 hours of their lives every week?

well they also pocketed 18 months of free rent since they couldn't be evicted.

well they also pocketed 18 months of free rent since they couldn't be evicted.

Let’s summarize this mystery segment of the population

- aren’t receiving SNAP benefits
- aren’t receiving unemployment
- have multiple children
- rent their home
- completely stopped paying rent for 18 months
- had a job before the pandemic
- quit their job and stopped looking for a job
- aren’t retirees
- weren’t forced to quit their job because of childcare necessity

And still owe their rent.

- Were absolutely evicted 5 months ago

- now likely homeless or living with friends/family because they can’t get approved to rent anywhere with a summary judgement for thousands of dollars of back rent on their credit report.

You know, just your typical shiftless layabouts whom our economy completely depended upon just 24 months ago

lol you don't have to respond to plama he's just shitposting

You are lying, plain and simple. You’re lying. There are less people on unemployment than before the pandemic, there are less people on SNAP benefits than before the pandemic. This small “segment of the workforce” whom you are referencing are either dead, retired, or they are home with their children.

*fewer

What is this argument about?

I had a similar conversation with a friend of mine the other day - and I don't know any of the answers... It seems indisputable that a certain number of people that used to be in the labor market are no longer in the labor market. There are too many stories of people that need to hire people and cannot find anyone to take the job for them all to be false. I have seen it first hand, second hand and third hand... What I don't understand is why - and how are those people living without working when they needed to work before? I don't pretend to know the answer. I'm not sure that anyone knows fully?

how are those people living without working when they needed to work before?

Not putting words in your mouth, but why do you assume they aren’t working? Our economic data doesn’t support that assumption. The data shows a 1-2% national drop in labor participation, of which much has been accounted for with early retirements, deaths, and parents/caregivers being forced out of the workforce.

Every piece of data available refutes this narrative of a wave of non-working people going on the government dole. It’s just not true. People are finding better jobs or other ways to make money. That’s it.

My theory has been twofold. People are working off the grid to make up for other shortcomings in the labor market like child care and in the gig economy and starting their own small businesses. Second, I don’t think the rise in crypto and NFTs and the like during the pandemic are coincidental.

Plenty of people make money without actually working. We’re just seeing more lower and working class people doing it. The “government dole” gave a lot of people the time and seed money to figure out how to do something better with their lives.

Last edited:
Enough people probably scammed the PPP system for hundreds of thousands as well

This. There was hardly any documentation and verification required for PPP loans for gig workers. And from what I've read pretty much every sole proprietorship is getting 100% loan forgiveness. I'm certain that system was abused.

Not putting words in your mouth, but why do you assume they aren’t working? Our economic data doesn’t support that assumption. The data shows a 1-2% national drop in labor participation, of which much has been accounted for with early retirements, deaths, and parents/caregivers being forced out of the workforce.

Every piece of data available refutes this narrative of a wave of non-working people going on the government dole. It’s just not true. People are finding better jobs or other ways to make money. That’s it.

OK, maybe I stated it incorrectly. There appear to be a lot of jobs that were filled by someone and now there is no one to fill them. So is a working theory that all of those people, or at least a lot of them, have found alternate ways to make enough money to live on?

I think you’re probably overstating how many people you’re talking about.

And what would be a reasonable speculation as to typical demographics of such a person?

Hillbilly gin drinker? Non-rent payer on food stamps?

Doubtful.

I think you’re probably overstating how many people you’re talking about.

Maybe, I don't know. It is enough that I have encountered the results personally. The restaurant industry is the most obvious. I have had conversations with two different local restaurant owners who have had to modify hours and/or over-work themselves and their family members to cover because they cannot hire people. I have had similar conversations with a guy who is doing some construction on our house for us - and my friend who is trying to build a lake house has said the builders he has talked to have reported the same thing.

I truly don't understand it.

The changes in percentages that everyone fixated on is like the equivalent of a million workers, it’s not a huge raw number. Construction and same for some restaurant jobs you can blame lack of immigration, hell entire summer staffing use to be base on a bunch of temporary workers coming from outside the country. Also for the restaurant industry its most likely a shift in worker mentality and pay. Why put up with covid and assholes like 2&2 eating half his meal and sending it back for a low set wage and hoping asshole 2&2 tips you (he won’t) when instead you can get a set 20/hr from Amazon.

Sure scooter, but it’s been almost two years. New restaurants have opened in that time. People are leaving bad jobs for better jobs. So people may have left that restaurant to work at a new restaurant for more money or a promotion. People have left bad jobs to stay at home with their kids to cover child care and do a side hustle from home. Obviously there are enough people who died or are unable to work or have to be a caretaker directly due to COVID. Those people have left holes in the workforce at a variety of income levels. People aren’t going to stay in minimum wage jobs when at least a million jobs (conservative estimate) have opened up offering more money. So yeah, the bottom of the barrel jobs are empty.

Back