Page 359 of 359 FirstFirst ... 259309349354355356357358359
Results 7,161 to 7,180 of 7180

Thread: Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

  1. #7161
    Quote Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
    well they also pocketed 18 months of free rent since they couldn't be evicted.
    Letís summarize this mystery segment of the population

    - arenít receiving SNAP benefits
    - arenít receiving unemployment
    - have multiple children
    - rent their home
    - completely stopped paying rent for 18 months
    - had a job before the pandemic
    - quit their job and stopped looking for a job
    - arenít retirees
    - werenít forced to quit their job because of childcare necessity
    Draxx them sklounst

  2. #7162
    Dickie Hemric
    ConnorEl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In My Mind
    Posts
    13,087
    And still owe their rent.
    I love mankind...itís people I canít stand!!

  3. #7163
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnorEl View Post
    And still owe their rent.
    - Were absolutely evicted 5 months ago

    - now likely homeless or living with friends/family because they canít get approved to rent anywhere with a summary judgement for thousands of dollars of back rent on their credit report.

    You know, just your typical shiftless layabouts whom our economy completely depended upon just 24 months ago
    Draxx them sklounst

  4. #7164
    lol you don't have to respond to plama he's just shitposting
    semi-aquatic like otters be.

  5. #7165
    Quote Originally Posted by myDeaconmyhand View Post
    You are lying, plain and simple. Youíre lying. There are less people on unemployment than before the pandemic, there are less people on SNAP benefits than before the pandemic. This small ďsegment of the workforceĒ whom you are referencing are either dead, retired, or they are home with their children.
    *fewer

  6. #7166
    What is this argument about?

    I had a similar conversation with a friend of mine the other day - and I don't know any of the answers... It seems indisputable that a certain number of people that used to be in the labor market are no longer in the labor market. There are too many stories of people that need to hire people and cannot find anyone to take the job for them all to be false. I have seen it first hand, second hand and third hand... What I don't understand is why - and how are those people living without working when they needed to work before? I don't pretend to know the answer. I'm not sure that anyone knows fully?

  7. #7167
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter84 View Post
    how are those people living without working when they needed to work before?
    Not putting words in your mouth, but why do you assume they arenít working? Our economic data doesnít support that assumption. The data shows a 1-2% national drop in labor participation, of which much has been accounted for with early retirements, deaths, and parents/caregivers being forced out of the workforce.

    Every piece of data available refutes this narrative of a wave of non-working people going on the government dole. Itís just not true. People are finding better jobs or other ways to make money. Thatís it.
    Draxx them sklounst

  8. #7168
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    128,088

    Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

    My theory has been twofold. People are working off the grid to make up for other shortcomings in the labor market like child care and in the gig economy and starting their own small businesses. Second, I donít think the rise in crypto and NFTs and the like during the pandemic are coincidental.

    Plenty of people make money without actually working. Weíre just seeing more lower and working class people doing it. The ďgovernment doleĒ gave a lot of people the time and seed money to figure out how to do something better with their lives.
    Last edited by PhDeac; Yesterday at 11:28 PM.

  9. #7169
    Enough people probably scammed the PPP system for hundreds of thousands as well

  10. #7170
    Quote Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
    Enough people probably scammed the PPP system for hundreds of thousands as well
    This. There was hardly any documentation and verification required for PPP loans for gig workers. And from what I've read pretty much every sole proprietorship is getting 100% loan forgiveness. I'm certain that system was abused.

  11. #7171
    Quote Originally Posted by myDeaconmyhand View Post
    Not putting words in your mouth, but why do you assume they arenít working? Our economic data doesnít support that assumption. The data shows a 1-2% national drop in labor participation, of which much has been accounted for with early retirements, deaths, and parents/caregivers being forced out of the workforce.

    Every piece of data available refutes this narrative of a wave of non-working people going on the government dole. Itís just not true. People are finding better jobs or other ways to make money. Thatís it.
    OK, maybe I stated it incorrectly. There appear to be a lot of jobs that were filled by someone and now there is no one to fill them. So is a working theory that all of those people, or at least a lot of them, have found alternate ways to make enough money to live on?

  12. #7172
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    128,088
    I think youíre probably overstating how many people youíre talking about.

  13. #7173
    Dickie Hemric
    ConnorEl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In My Mind
    Posts
    13,087
    Quote Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
    Enough people probably scammed the PPP system for hundreds of thousands as well

    And what would be a reasonable speculation as to typical demographics of such a person?


    Hillbilly gin drinker? Non-rent payer on food stamps?


    Doubtful.
    I love mankind...itís people I canít stand!!

  14. #7174
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    I think youíre probably overstating how many people youíre talking about.
    Maybe, I don't know. It is enough that I have encountered the results personally. The restaurant industry is the most obvious. I have had conversations with two different local restaurant owners who have had to modify hours and/or over-work themselves and their family members to cover because they cannot hire people. I have had similar conversations with a guy who is doing some construction on our house for us - and my friend who is trying to build a lake house has said the builders he has talked to have reported the same thing.

    I truly don't understand it.

  15. #7175
    The changes in percentages that everyone fixated on is like the equivalent of a million workers, itís not a huge raw number. Construction and same for some restaurant jobs you can blame lack of immigration, hell entire summer staffing use to be base on a bunch of temporary workers coming from outside the country. Also for the restaurant industry its most likely a shift in worker mentality and pay. Why put up with covid and assholes like 2&2 eating half his meal and sending it back for a low set wage and hoping asshole 2&2 tips you (he wonít) when instead you can get a set 20/hr from Amazon.

  16. #7176
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    128,088

    Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

    Sure scooter, but itís been almost two years. New restaurants have opened in that time. People are leaving bad jobs for better jobs. So people may have left that restaurant to work at a new restaurant for more money or a promotion. People have left bad jobs to stay at home with their kids to cover child care and do a side hustle from home. Obviously there are enough people who died or are unable to work or have to be a caretaker directly due to COVID. Those people have left holes in the workforce at a variety of income levels. People arenít going to stay in minimum wage jobs when at least a million jobs (conservative estimate) have opened up offering more money. So yeah, the bottom of the barrel jobs are empty.

  17. #7177
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    48,189
    what i want to know is how many microwaves, fridges, smart phones and big screen tvs we sold since "the great resignation" !

  18. #7178
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter84 View Post
    What is this argument about?

    I had a similar conversation with a friend of mine the other day - and I don't know any of the answers... It seems indisputable that a certain number of people that used to be in the labor market are no longer in the labor market. There are too many stories of people that need to hire people and cannot find anyone to take the job for them all to be false. I have seen it first hand, second hand and third hand... What I don't understand is why - and how are those people living without working when they needed to work before? I don't pretend to know the answer. I'm not sure that anyone knows fully?
    Either they're slinging crack rock or they got a wicked jump shot.

  19. #7179
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    48,189
    Quote Originally Posted by mako1331 View Post
    Either they're slinging crack rock or they got a wicked jump shot.
    i gotta pull this VHS out, man

  20. #7180
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    128,088
    Quote Originally Posted by mako1331 View Post
    Either they're slinging crack rock or they got a wicked jump shot.
    LOL. Thereís definitely a sense of ďthose people canít do anything except flip burgers so they must be scamming the governmentĒ in these arguments. Not saying thatís what 2&2 and scooter are doing but itís probably what the people theyíre listening to are doing.

    For me itís hard to understand how people canít understand the impact of so many workers dying or being too sick to work or having the time and additional short term money to recalibrate their lives. They wonít accept any other explanation besides blaming the government.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •