• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Stock Market Crash

LOL. Strange how he didn't do that on Monday or Thursday. After his speech on Wednesday, Dow Futures immediately plummeted more than 600 points as a prelude to Thursday's crash. No mention of that at all, but he not only takes credit for today's gains but autographs charts for his cult followers. What a horribly insecure little man he is. He takes all the credit for the gains, and accepts no responsibility for the losses. Figures.

LOL. Strange how he didn't do that on Monday or Thursday. After his speech on Wednesday, Dow Futures immediately plummeted more than 600 points as a prelude to Thursday's crash. No mention of that at all, but he not only takes credit for today's gains but autographs charts for his cult followers. What a horribly insecure little man he is. He takes all the credit for the gains, and accepts no responsibility for the losses. Figures.

I know I shouldn’t, but I’m going to get a little political for my first time on the boards.

Yeah, the reason the stock market is crashing in part is because of the coronavirus, something the entire government could have done something about, not just Donald Trump. But also because of Russia and Saudi Arabia oil disputes. There’s two MASSIVE issues going on in the world, and for the history books. All of this, and there was nearly a 10% rise in the Dow today. A big portion of the rise in the stock market was during Trump’s speech.

Y’all can hate Trump all you want. Himself, his staff, and the federal government in all definitely didn’t do everything they needed to do to prepare for a pandemic like this. The good thing is we will learn from this. Now, they need to prevent this issue from worsening. In the defense of the government, things happened extremely fast. The (known) spread in America happened in less than a week. Almost every country in the world wasn’t prepared when it hit. China is going to be able to get things under control because of their communist, dictator government.

Politicizing the virus is not the answer, just like politicizing what Obama and Joe did with the flu wasn’t and isn’t the answer. Trump and his staff should not compare what’s going on now to what Obama and Biden did. It’s a different situation. They need to strive for better, and learn from the Obama administration’s mistakes. Declaring a national emergency is a good start.

Trump and his stooges told a bunch of lies to juice the market. They probably made some cash off it too.

I know I shouldn’t, but I’m going to get a little political for my first time on the boards.

Yeah, the reason the stock market is crashing in part is because of the coronavirus, something the entire government could have done something about, not just Donald Trump. But also because of Russia and Saudi Arabia oil disputes. There’s two MASSIVE issues going on in the world, and for the history books. All of this, and there was nearly a 10% rise in the Dow today. A big portion of the rise in the stock market was during Trump’s speech.

Y’all can hate Trump all you want. Himself, his staff, and the federal government in all definitely didn’t do everything they needed to do to prepare for a pandemic like this. The good thing is we will learn from this. Now, they need to prevent this issue from worsening. In the defense of the government, things happened extremely fast. The (known) spread in America happened in less than a week. Almost every country in the world wasn’t prepared when it hit. China is going to be able to get things under control because of their communist, dictator government.

Politicizing the virus is not the answer, just like politicizing what Obama and Joe did with the flu wasn’t and isn’t the answer. Trump and his staff should not compare what’s going on now to what Obama and Biden did. It’s a different situation. They need to strive for better, and learn from the Obama administration’s mistakes. Declaring a national emergency is a good start.

SDDeac, you are putting a lot of confidence in this administration learning from mistakes when they failed tremendously in learning from mistakes of other countries. I think that the locus of this crisis is the utter failure of our testing infrastructure and policies. Let’s not forget that this president called this all a hoax like a week a ago. That probably cost people their lives.

You may be comfortable with privatizing gains and socializing losses both politically and economically, but I’m certainly not.

Other than just being a completely horrible person, my biggest criticisms of trump have always been than he wasn’t qualified for the job, boasts about not reading or learning, and he’s incapable of accepting responsibility for anything ever. The man couldn’t even admit to asking forgiveness for sins when pretending to be religious on the campaign trail. All of my worst fears about the man are pretty much on display throughout this crisis. He can put on all the show he wants, but he made critical mistakes that cost people their lives, and will cost more. Let’s not just let that be something we’re ok with.

What, based on Trump's entire personal history, leads you to think that Trump "will learn a lesson from this?" He never learns lessons from anything. You claim that Democrats shouldn't "politicize" this, yet you give Trump credit for the rise in the stock market for his speech, yet fail to note that Dow Futures fell over 600 points immediately following his speech on Wednesday night. Trump did cut the budgets for government pandemic teams (one of which Obama created) that could have led to a better response to this crisis. Trump and his response does deserve criticism, and this whole "let's rally around a guy who has shown no capacity to deal with situations like this" rings false, to be honest. No one here is blaming Trump for the coronavirus, but his response to the crisis certainly deserves a good deal of criticism. Just recently he was still calling this a hoax fabricated by fake news outlets. A good many people said as far back as 2016 that Trump wasn't qualified to be POTUS, and yet conservatives enthusiastically voted for him anyway. I'm getting the feeling that some conservatives are starting to get quite sensitive to the charges that he isn't competent to deal with these types of situations, largely because it's true. They just don't want anyone - let alone godforsaken liberals - telling them so.

Im surprised that he didnt take a chart of it declining, turn it upside down, and sign it, and if anyone called him out on it, he would claim FAKE NEWS.

Trump cut the pandemic team, cut the budget for the CDC international teams so they had to scale way back, and yet this just happened too fast for the government to respond.

Give me a fucking break.

Trump promised drive through testing sites when there remains an extreme shortage of tests.

Trump promised a screening website that would direct people to the screening sites. Not even in development.

Lies in top of lies.

Sometimes I wish I could be this willfully ignorant. It would make justifying selfish choices so much easier.

JFC are you really on here trying to claim Trump credit for stock market gains now while shifting blame for the losses? Sounds familiar.

For starters, I don’t expect Donald to learn from anything since he never has before during his administration. I don’t know why anyone would still expect him to change in this regard.

I do agree that declaring the national emergency was necessary (and a step the president took only after both parties told him that’s what he should do). Of course the stock market rose when the president gave a speech about working with the private sector to formulate a plan and mentioned that testing was going to be more readily available.

The major issue that I have with the “don’t politicize this issue” argument is that politics are inexorably linked with outbreak containment. Donald slashed funding to the agency that oversees pandemics and outbreak and forced resignations from many in the CDC. Meanwhile he himself (as you point out) continues to politicize the issue despite being the person who is supposed to be leading ALL Americans through this time.

Honestly I don’t see the current political issue as one that is GOP v Dem as far as responses to the outbreak, but rather just further evidence that our president is incompetent and unable (unwilling? too arrogant?) to be a strong leader. This should just be further evidence for the GOP that Donald is unqualified for the position but since he keeps carrying their mantle just enough on issues the GOP is passionate about they just continue to kick the fan down the road on the Donald problem.

Also to be clear, the Democrats did in fact try to do something about the coronavirus from a funding perspective and the GOP voted down multiple bills. Further, the GOP telegraphed that they weren’t going to support anything until Donald told them he supported it.

Sometimes I wish I could be this willfully ignorant. It would make justifying selfish choices so much easier.

This, exactly. I generally avoid posting on the politics board at all costs, but I couldn't help recently talking about what it's like being around smart, good people who are also Trump supporters. Half of the responses were "there's no such thing" which simply isn't true.

That post from SDDeac absolutely nails it though. You mix together just the right levels of whataboutism, good economy love, Trump's doin' his best as a normal guy excuse language, let's not get all political high horse talk, and put an Obama bow on it. I can think of a dozen conversations that sound exactly like this.

The bottom line is if you're a Republican, your life is great, you have money and security - this "light disapproval" approach has become an ideology. That's why nobody should be surprised when the folks who don't want to rock the boat pull the Trump lever in 2020. It's the only group in America right now that is happy, content, and confident. They have it better than the Trump sycophants.

This, exactly. I generally avoid posting on the politics board at all costs, but I couldn't help recently talking about what it's like being around smart, good people who are also Trump supporters. Half of the responses were "there's no such thing" which simply isn't true.

That post from SDDeac absolutely nails it though. You mix together just the right levels of whataboutism, good economy love, Trump's doin' his best as a normal guy excuse language, let's not get all political high horse talk, and put an Obama bow on it. I can think of a dozen conversations that sound exactly like this.

The bottom line is if you're a Republican, your life is great, you have money and security - this "light disapproval" approach has become an ideology. That's why nobody should be surprised when the folks who don't want to rock the boat pull the Trump lever in 2020. It's the only group in America right now that is happy, content, and confident. They have it better than the Trump sycophants.

It’s not just republican lives that have improved during the Trump presidency, it’s all American lives. Imo, the biggest thing the president can do in his position is create jobs for America so citizens can rely on themselves, not the government. Trump has done that. He also has worked through his entire presidency to create, and bring back jobs in America. Now is a perfect example of why it is so important to have jobs and businesses in America. We are almost totally reliant on China right now for medicine and supplies. If he wasn’t working to improve the export/import ratio, we would be in an even more dangerous position. I don’t agree with everything he says or does. But I agree with his policy. I do wish he handled this differently, and I’m sure he does too. When he said it’s “yet another hoax”, I actually think he meant another way the media will try and push him out of office. I don’t know think he was calling the virus a hoax. He didn’t, and hasn’t made that clear though.

It’s not just republican lives that have improved during the Trump presidency, it’s all American lives. Imo, the biggest thing the president can do in his position is create jobs for America so citizens can rely on themselves, not the government. Trump has done that. He also has worked through his entire presidency to create, and bring back jobs in America. Now is a perfect example of why it is so important to have jobs and businesses in America. We are almost totally reliant on China right now for medicine and supplies. If he wasn’t working to improve the export/import ratio, we would be in an even more dangerous position. I don’t agree with everything he says or does. But I agree with his policy. I do wish he handled this differently, and I’m sure he does too. When he said it’s “yet another hoax”, I actually think he meant another way the media will try and push him out of office. I don’t know think he was calling the virus a hoax. He didn’t, and hasn’t made that clear though.

my advice to you is to stop posting

"All Americans", huh? What about those citizens being detained at the borders? What about the victims of hate crimes, which have risen substantially since Trump took office?

Also, trying to rationalize calling it a hoax with a completely different meaning is some fantastic mental gymnastics.

Yes, jobs in America are good to have, but what types of jobs are they? Are we looking backwards or forwards? And are the jobs created during this administration worth the cost to the environment and our democracy?

my advice to you is to stop posting

Why? You can’t listen to a differing opinion? You want to shut up the guy who doesn’t believe in the same things as you? That’s what’s wrong with America right now. It’s my way or the highway, and you’re either far as you can get to the left, and far as you can get to the right. People need to come closer to the middle.

Back