• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Stock Market Crash

It’s not just republican lives that have improved during the Trump presidency, it’s all American lives. Imo, the biggest thing the president can do in his position is create jobs for America so citizens can rely on themselves, not the government. Trump has done that. He also has worked through his entire presidency to create, and bring back jobs in America. Now is a perfect example of why it is so important to have jobs and businesses in America. We are almost totally reliant on China right now for medicine and supplies. If he wasn’t working to improve the export/import ratio, we would be in an even more dangerous position. I don’t agree with everything he says or does. But I agree with his policy. I do wish he handled this differently, and I’m sure he does too. When he said it’s “yet another hoax”, I actually think he meant another way the media will try and push him out of office. I don’t know think he was calling the virus a hoax. He didn’t, and hasn’t made that clear though.

Given your primary focus on the president’s economic impact, I take it you were also an Obama supporter right?

Why? You can’t listen to a differing opinion? You want to shut up the guy who doesn’t believe in the same things as you? That’s what’s wrong with America right now. It’s my way or the highway, and you’re either far as you can get to the left, and far as you can get to the right. People need to come closer to the middle.

Well I’d argue supporting Donald isn’t “closer” to the middle but I do agree that a greater focus on policies rather than on the speaker could help substantive discussions to some degree.

"All Americans", huh? What about those citizens being detained at the borders? What about the victims of hate crimes, which have risen substantially since Trump took office?

Also, trying to rationalize calling it a hoax with a completely different meaning is some fantastic mental gymnastics.

Yes, jobs in America are good to have, but what types of jobs are they? Are we looking backwards or forwards? And are the jobs created during this administration worth the cost to the environment and our democracy?

There are absolutely cases where US citizens are detained at the border, and when they happens. they are there too long. It’s rare, but it does happen. Many of those rare cases are when they don’t have proper identification with them, and they have people with them that don’t have proper identification either. There’s a border for a reason. If you’re a non citizen at the border, and you didn’t come into the States legally, then the person is taken back to his or her country safely.

Are you saying creating more jobs are bad for our democracy? And you’re saying having more jobs in our country is bad for the environment? Neither of those statements make any sense to me, so please clarify.

back to the topic at hand - what do people think? my hot take: first fall back was on the general panic; there will be an echo once 1q earnings start coming in and everyone sees the economy in the tank (other than toilet paper manufacturers). i took my 401k to bonds at 27k, still banking it'll get close to 20k. thought about getting in before yesterday but got greedy.

we'll see - one talking head piece of advice i liked is don't try and time the bottom - just be directionally accurate and you are a winner.

Given your primary focus on the president’s economic impact, I take it you were also an Obama supporter right?

b7ef5b701afd3a8dd68918e532c2af71.jpg

9c308f93238f88bba7e3a2b3bfadf6bf.jpg

Over 8 years President Obama’s economy produced $6.4 trillion less GDP than was projected when he took office in January 2009. That initial projection already incorporated the recession that began in 2007.
Since President Trump took office in January 2017, CBO has raised its projection of the cumulative 2017-2024 GDP by $3.3 trillion.

Source:
https://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/trump-vs-obama-economy-who-performed-better-11474.html

Why? You can’t listen to a differing opinion? You want to shut up the guy who doesn’t believe in the same things as you? That’s what’s wrong with America right now. It’s my way or the highway, and you’re either far as you can get to the left, and far as you can get to the right. People need to come closer to the middle.

That’s the thing. Differing opinions are GREAT when we’re all working with the same sets of facts as a base for our opinions. When the facts your opinion is based on are distorted then it’s hard to genuinely respect that opinion.

Well some of the people weren’t taken back safely, they were put in cages.

Great point. Are you referring to the people put in cages during the Obama administration which received little to no media attention?

Or just the people put in cages after Trump was inaugurated?

I mean there are plenty of indicators that Donald and Obama are both responsible for and enjoying the period of economic success over the last ten years (dating back to Obama taking over during a recession). Unemployment has continued to drop by roughly the same rate under both presidents, job growth is roughly consistent (averaging about 200k new jobs a month since 2012 - a number that has been pretty consistent between the two), real median household income skyrocketed under Obama and maintained roughly the same rate increase under Donald, the stock market has continued a steady increase under the two (albeit with a broader volatility under Donald), the federal deficit has increased under Donald after a pretty steady decline under Obama until his last year and a half in office, and federal debt has increased by about the same rate under the two.

It’s difficult to point to Donald’s economic positives without acknowledging his benefits from Obama’s stewardship. The economy was excellent under Obama post-recession and has continued to be excellent under Donald.

Awwww shit. Brad’s here. Let’s get this party started.

Great point. Are you referring to the people put in cages during the Obama administration which received little to no media attention?

Except Obama ended that process very quickly.

It's still going on under Trump.

Well since the discussion is about policies under Donald, I was referring to those put there with him in office. But yeah the last two administrations’ policies at the border show how ingrained these practices go. People aren’t always “safely” taken home. Of course the rate of family separation increased under Donald but that doesn’t change the fact that both administrations had poor practices.

There are absolutely cases where US citizens are detained at the border, and when they happens. they are there too long. It’s rare, but it does happen. Many of those rare cases are when they don’t have proper identification with them, and they have people with them that don’t have proper identification either. There’s a border for a reason. If you’re a non citizen at the border, and you didn’t come into the States legally, then the person is taken back to his or her country safely.

Are you saying creating more jobs are bad for our democracy? And you’re saying having more jobs in our country is bad for the environment? Neither of those statements make any sense to me, so please clarify.

You're right, I wasn't entirely clear. I'm saying that this administration has done terrible damage to the environment, democracy, and our global reputation (forgot this last time but couldn't edit). The jobs themselves may not be directly related (though some certainly are, such as trying to revive coal), but when running a pros/cons table of the past three years, the cons far outweigh the pros. You can't try to give Trump credit for one thing without weighing the overall cost of his term.

This, exactly. I generally avoid posting on the politics board at all costs, but I couldn't help recently talking about what it's like being around smart, good people who are also Trump supporters. Half of the responses were "there's no such thing" which simply isn't true.

That post from SDDeac absolutely nails it though. You mix together just the right levels of whataboutism, good economy love, Trump's doin' his best as a normal guy excuse language, let's not get all political high horse talk, and put an Obama bow on it. I can think of a dozen conversations that sound exactly like this.

The bottom line is if you're a Republican, your life is great, you have money and security - this "light disapproval" approach has become an ideology. That's why nobody should be surprised when the folks who don't want to rock the boat pull the Trump lever in 2020. It's the only group in America right now that is happy, content, and confident. They have it better than the Trump sycophants.

+1,000.

b7ef5b701afd3a8dd68918e532c2af71.jpg

9c308f93238f88bba7e3a2b3bfadf6bf.jpg

Over 8 years President Obama’s economy produced $6.4 trillion less GDP than was projected when he took office in January 2009. That initial projection already incorporated the recession that began in 2007.
Since President Trump took office in January 2017, CBO has raised its projection of the cumulative 2017-2024 GDP by $3.3 trillion.

Source:
https://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/trump-vs-obama-economy-who-performed-better-11474.html
Looking at that website for 2 seconds I would be very skeptical about taking their numbers at face value because it's clearly a propaganda site

Which policies of trumps do you agree with? So we have the tax cuts and which others have helped this economy boom?

The problem is that you're not close to the middle. Everything you've posted here about Trump is standard right-wing rhetoric and excuses, not moderate or centrist thinking. Lots of conservatives love to call themselves "independent thinkers" and such, but nearly everything they post sounds like talking points from Fox or other right-wing news outlets.

Back