• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Stock Market Crash

So obviously we will bail them out but will there be any increased regulations? This was a black swan event of sorts but the fact that airlines consistently used the bulk of their cash flow to buyback their own stocks is a major issue here isn’t it?

CNN is reporting that the Airlines are likely to go bankrupt by May. Good thing Trump has plenty of experience with that.

They probably should have had a three month emergency fund instead of spending all their money on big screen TVs and iPhones.

Bankruptcy is a way for airlines to break all their union contracts. But senior management will still get paid and "earn" their bonuses.

So obviously we will bail them out but will there be any increased regulations? This was a black swan event of sorts but the fact that airlines consistently used the bulk of their cash flow to buyback their own stocks is a major issue here isn’t it?

You would rather them just sit on it vs returning it into the economy to be invested elsewhere?

Man good thing we dont have Bernie in charge, it would be state run oil, gas, airlines, automobile, bars, restaurants, and retail stores by summer.

At what point do you back up the truck with some of these airline stocks if they are going to be backstopped? A lot of them down ~75% so far.

Not necessarily just curious about what may prevent this in the future if there is another pandemic issue

Unless pandemics are expected to become more more frequent, I don't think there really is anything that can be done (you can't plan around every long tail event), unless you just want to make them a national utility.

I’m not against it but I imagine most might be. How many times have airlines been bailed out in the last 30 years or so? Three maybe? Four?

Just and FYI I think pandemics will become more frequent, and disease in general will become more widespread. Just as people point towards that was a 100 year flood or 1000 year flood and then it happens the next year a few factors are going to increase pandemics/disease. 1. climate change, you can argue all you want but the changing climate is going to result in new pathogens. 2. population density, more and more people through out the world move to mega cities like seen in China. 3. Destruction of natural habits to go with population growth results in closer contact between people and animals, resulting in zoonotic transmissions. 4. Interconnected world, you see how quickly disease can spread.

Before there was Covid-19 (and still ongoing) there were emergency operation responses in global health for polio, zika, ebola, and measles, and lesser response for Lassa and cholera

I’m not against it but I imagine most might be. How many times have airlines been bailed out in the last 30 years or so? Three maybe? Four?

Have they been bailed out other than after 9/11? Certainly there have been many bankruptcies.

Have they been bailed out other than after 9/11? Certainly there have been many bankruptcies.

Ah maybe I was conflating the bankruptcy issue as well. Thanks for the clarification there. I knew they were bailed out post 9/11 and thought there was another in the 90s for some reason.

Tell me that buying a house right now is not stupid. The general consensus I've heard is that the real estate market shouldn't take much of a hit, but with a likely recession looming, I have a hard time understanding why it won't tank, at least for a short period. Our realtor made the case that 1) We're looking in fairly recession proof areas in one of the fastest growing cities in the US 2) There could actually be even more of a shortage in supply compared to demand in the near term (people scared of selling/not wanting people in their homes) 3) Our mid-range price point shouldn't be affected negatively near as much, if there is a drop vs. lower income/investment property or the luxury market.

All seems like sound counsel, and she's a friend of ours, but obviously she's incentivized to think that way.

Tell me that buying a house right now is not stupid. The general consensus I've heard is that the real estate market shouldn't take much of a hit, but with a likely recession looming, I have a hard time understanding why it won't tank, at least for a short period. Our realtor made the case that 1) We're looking in fairly recession proof areas in one of the fastest growing cities in the US 2) There could actually be even more of a shortage in supply compared to demand in the near term (people scared of selling/not wanting people in their homes) 3) Our mid-range price point shouldn't be affected negatively near as much, if there is a drop vs. lower income/investment property or the luxury market.

All seems like sound counsel, and she's a friend of ours, but obviously she's incentivized to think that way.

You might prize having geographic flexibility/Easy mobility in the near and moderate future. When you’re renting, you’re paying a small premium to have that flexibility.

Also, I’d question in the current environment whether any area is truly “recession-proof”

Back