• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Stock Market Crash

Ummm, that seems like a psuedo tax break for the rich.

Dems should ok some degree of payroll tax holiday as long as we start requiring paid sick leave.

If they want to do a stimulus (and they should), they should send everybody a check for something like 2,500 dollars. Would be just as easier or easier to administer, cost roughly the same (payroll tax is expected to bring in between 800 and 900 billion over the rest of the year), the people get help they need sooner, and won’t short change the poorest people who need it the most

How so? Rich people pay estimated taxes

So paying later would help them keep more money.

If they want to do a stimulus (and they should), they should send everybody a check for something like 2,500 dollars. Would be just as easier or easier to administer, cost roughly the same (payroll tax is expected to bring in between 800 and 900 billion over the rest of the year), the people get help they need sooner, and won’t short change the poorest people who need it the most

Bush did that. It was $600 each. Helped us pay for our wedding but it was real shitty policy. Much of it was eaten up by rising gas prices. Lehman happened a few months later.

Last edited:
Rich people have already paid most of their taxes is my point. As a reasonably well off person who pays estimated taxes, this makes zero difference to me.

Yep, if you haven't paid in withholding or made estimated payments already you are subject to estimated tax penalty.

Rich people have already paid most of their taxes is my point. As a reasonably well off person who pays estimated taxes, this makes zero difference to me.

What if you’re under an audit for half a decade?

Yep, if you haven't paid in withholding or made estimated payments already you are subject to estimated tax penalty.

Yeah, although if you had a big gain in 2019, and you only paid estimated taxes on 2018 income, you're getting set to make a big payment on April 15th. But on the flip side, there's nothing for the rich to invest in to get more than .5%, so who cares.

If you want to live like a Republican, vote for a Democrat.

I've read that quote several times over the years in various books, and it's a good one. It's usually attributed to Harry Truman, which fits.

Back