• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has He Been Fired Yet?

I am nervous that they will fire Childress, now that Brandon is gone, and retain Manning. The excuse will be that he had to play Brandon to appease the base.

I would love to hear what Randolph truly thinks about Manning.

Navy fired the women's basketball coach after 7-23 followed 10-21 season. Even though she is the all-time leader in wins at Navy.

Navy in the "what have you done for me lately" mode.

Obviously navy will be coached by a poodle since no coach will take a job where coaches get fired for sucking.

Manning finished 13-18 and that was his second BEST finish as the Wake coach. In the 57 years of playing in the ACC, prior to Manning and the other guy, Wake had only lost 18+ games 6 times. In the last 10 years, we have lost 18+ games 8 times. The "best" years of those 10 we were 17-16 and 19-14.

The 17-16 season got a guy fired.
The 19-14 season got a guy $18M.

Clearly 18 is the magic number for Wake.

I am nervous that they will fire Childress, now that Brandon is gone, and retain Manning. The excuse will be that he had to play Brandon to appease the base.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Which in some weird Kafkaesque Wake Forest basketball logic means it will probably come true.

Turning the Childress family into scapegoats to avoid getting rid of Manning would be worse than not making any changes at all.

Last edited:
Turning the Childress family into scapegoats to avoid getting rid of Manning would be worst than not making any changes at all.

Correct. Brandon was in over his head as an ACC PG from the get go. That’s not his fault. He always played his ass off.
And Randolph is an all-time great Deacon. Denigrating them in anyway over this mess would criminal.

Unfortunately, Randolph has to go when Manning goes. The new coach needs to be able to put his own staff in place.

Yes. No question Randolph has to go. The new coach should bring in his own staff with no pressure.

Correct. Brandon was in over his head as an ACC PG from the get go. That’s not his fault. He always played his ass off.
And Randolph is an all-time great Deacon. Denigrating them in anyway over this mess would criminal.

Unfortunately, Randolph has to go when Manning goes. The new coach needs to be able to put his own staff in place.

Yeah, I agree. It’s been an unfortunate and trying past few years for Randolph, although being able to help coach your son through college is an experience that most would envy.

Despite the past few years of disappointment, there is nothing that will reduce the admiration I have for Randolph. I loved him when he played. He had the most killer instinct and ability to take over a game of any player I’ve seen. I had the good fortune to watch in person when he took over the ACC tourney and was courtside while the nets were cut down. How can anyone play after dislocating their finger? Then there was the game when he hit 6 3’s in 2 minutes against UNC. Awesome!

Whatever he does in the future, I wish him the best.

Excuses and rationalization are for losers. Rising to next to last is improvement after 6 years? My guess is Currie and Hatch are losers. Proven losers like Manning and Bzzy boy. A decade of this enough.

Correct. Brandon was in over his head as an ACC PG from the get go. That's not his fault.

And yet Kihei Clark is a poor man's Brandon Childress, but plays more minute than anyone else on a UVA team that yet again won 20+ games overall and 15 conference games.

It's not that Brandon, particularly for his last 2 years, was in over his head - the coaching staff was. If the entire offensive strategy of UVA was to give the ball to Kihei Clark in close games under 2 minutes left and hope he scored, their fanbase would hate him too.

The move was made as a “basketball decision,” Wellman said, and Manning promised that the Deacons would “take a step.”

John Currie has since taken over as athletics director, a transition that was announced but not yet enacted when last season ended.

One year later, that step is a two-win improvement in both overall and ACC wins — albeit with two additional ACC games.

The move was made as a “basketball decision,” Wellman said, and Manning promised that the Deacons would “take a step.”

John Currie has since taken over as athletics director, a transition that was announced but not yet enacted when last season ended.

One year later, that step is a two-win improvement in both overall and ACC wins — albeit with two additional ACC games.

...and the 5th out of his 6 seasons with 18+ losses. :dumb:

Yo, Currie YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!

It would be very interesting to hear Randolph's side of the story. He was the most fierce player I have ever seen. It is sad he has been saddled with two coaches who exhibit no fire or personality. It would not be the worst thing ever if a new coach keep him based on perceived merit

Back