• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has He Been Fired Yet?

It would be very interesting to hear Randolph's side of the story. He was the most fierce player I have ever seen. It is sad he has been saddled with two coaches who exhibit no fire or personality. It would not be the worst thing ever if a new coach keep him based on perceived merit

He chose this. He had a cushy job in the Deacon Club or in the AD before joining [Redacted]'s staff.

He hasnt been fired yet and he wont be fired, he will be our coach next year.

Well?

What are we waiting for, Currie?

The workday has started.

donaldross has been working for 3 hours already.

Do your fucking job.

to answer the thread title: yes, it's being discussed now on OGBoards 2

Is there a history of P5 coaches being fired during their conference's tournament? I assumed the earliest we'd hear something is Sunday.

Is there a history of P5 coaches being fired during their conference's tournament? I assumed the earliest we'd hear something is Sunday.

The only history that should be involved is a historically bad coach who is out running his mouth in the press about why he deserves to be back. Jesus Christ, fire the insubordinate asshole.

It would not be the worst thing ever if a new coach keep him based on perceived merit

It would be a bad thing...he'd be taking up a spot on the bench that could be taken by a capable coach with real experience.

I've posted this before, but seems appropriate here... The ACC Coaching Changes over the last few years (with dates):

2019:
Virginia Tech - Williams takes A&M job 4/3; Young hired 4/7

2018:
Pittsburgh - Stallings fired 3/8; Capel hired 3/27
Louisville - Announces Padgett won't return on 3/21; Mack hired 3/27

2017:
NCSU - Gottfried fired 2/18 (finished season); Keatts hired 3/17

2016:
Georgia Tech - Gregory fired 3/25; Pastner hired 4/8

2015: NONE

2014:
Wake Forest - Bz fired 3/20; Manning hired 4/4
Virginia Tech - Johnson fired 3/17; Williams hired 3/21
Boston College - Donahue fired 3/18; Christian hired 4/3

Kevin Stallings lost on Tuesday (3/6), was fired on Thursday (3/8).

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22689679/pittsburgh-panthers-fire-coach-kevin-stallings

I think there was a large buyout there... 3 years left on the deal. Article doesn't say, but I remember numbers like $9mil being thrown out.

All this to say, there is nothing stopping us from firing Manning during the ACC Tourney.

The ONLY reason it would make sense to wait a few more days (assuming the decision has already been made) is if Currie wants to announce a hire soon afterwards (to help avoid the mass exodus of players that would likely happen without a head coach... see Pitt, again, from a couple of years ago).

Other high major firings from last year:

B1G
Tim Miles (Nebraska) - Tue, 3/26

Pac-12
Steve Alford (UCLA) - Mid-Season
Ernie Kent (Wazzu) - Fri, 3/15
Wyking Jones (Cal) - Sun, 3/24

SEC
Billy Kennedy (A&M) - Fri, 3/15
Bryce Drew (Vandy) - Fri, 3/22
Avery Johnson (Alabama) - Sun, 3/24
Mike Anderson (Arkansas) - Tue, 3/26

All of this tells us exactly nothing.

No firing announced until Sunday to keep Swofford's party the focus of attention.

LOL. How can he say this with a straight face? Unbelievable. Worst coach in the history of college basketball

DM says it with a straight face because he wants his buyout, and any admission that things are not improving could potentially be used against him in negotiating his release. Same reason he says "Oh, absolutely" when asked if he'll be back next year. Just remember Wellman's response when he was asked if he was happy with Bz's performance after consecutive losing seasons: "Oh, Heavens, yes!"

For what it's worth -- and from a totally outside perspective -- I don't think WF can afford to let him go if the buyout figures that are floating around are correct. I can't imagine a "for cause" reason to let him go if there are no win record or tournament requirements in the contract.

DM says it with a straight face because he wants his buyout, and any admission that things are not improving could potentially be used against him in negotiating his release. Same reason he says "Oh, absolutely" when asked if he'll be back next year. Just remember Wellman's response when he was asked if he was happy with Bz's performance after consecutive losing seasons: "Oh, Heavens, yes!"

For what it's worth -- and from a totally outside perspective -- I don't think WF can afford to let him go if the buyout figures that are floating around are correct. I can't imagine a "for cause" reason to let him go if there are no win record or tournament requirements in the contract.

Well, we’ll know for sure within a week or two. If the buyout is a significant enough factor, he’ll be back. If it’s not, he won’t. There is no way any AD would keep manning unless the mitigating circumstances dictated it.

I bet we could get a couple thousand signatures on a petition.

Name and affiliation with Wake. We'd probably have some heavy hitters on the petition who used to give a lot of money to the University.

It would be a bad thing...he'd be taking up a spot on the bench that could be taken by a capable coach with real experience.

Randolph needs to get the fuck out of here for his own good if he wants a career in Coaching. Go be an assistant at Vandy or Mizzou or somewhere and then after 2-3 years become the HC of a small low major school. If that’s not his goal he should take a job in the AD as assistant to the regional director of some shit or another.

I bet we could get a couple thousand signatures on a petition.

Name and affiliation with Wake. We'd probably have some heavy hitters on the petition who used to give a lot of money to the University.

There are a number who are openly critical over on the facebooks.

Back