• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Work from Home Life Pro Tips

Smoove do you mean it is now harder not to do other things when on zoom calls? I've found it incredibly helpful to have two screens on zooms to look at docs and other things.

I mean it’s harder to hide that I’m doing other things when I’m supposed to be paying attention, because I’ve moved my windows to the other screen, and now it’s clear I’m not looking at the camera.

I mean it’s harder to hide that I’m doing other things when I’m supposed to be paying attention, because I’ve moved my windows to the other screen, and now it’s clear I’m not looking at the camera.

The key is to split screen the zoom on one monitor with whatever else you’re working on so you’re looking at that monitor.

My wife started using a vertical mouse a couple of years ago because of her wrist and she absolutely swears by it. Hers is made by Anker, but they all look relatively similar.

Same - I used one for a while at work and it was super helpful; definitely recommend it as a first option.

Now at home all my stuff is not at the right erg height and it's all jacked up again anyway, but it was fun while it lasted.

So how's everyone doing ~10 months in?

I'm currently sitting in my driveway in my neighbor's 1980s Shasta camper trailer that we've borrowed/plopped in the driveway to be my private office. I have a space heater and office chair out here, and my laptop/monitor set up on the dinette table. I'm affectionately calling it my Budget Bunker... though realistically it looks and feels more like a hostage situation. The first few days people thought the scene behind me was a fake zoom background. Tiny Baby started back up at daycare in August, so now it's just husband and I still working from home every day, with stepkids here every other week. I only come to the trailer when they're here; it's just way too chaotic inside to do my body of work with that level of distraction and it wasn't good for anybody.

The trailer is temporary, though - we've actually cleared out our gear storage room in the garage and will be finishing it out to be a dedicated home office space. It will still require a space heater/isn't on the system, but we're running new electrical and installing a window to the backyard (in addition to insulating/drywalling) so it will be pretty great. This will be especially good, since my work group is now designated to permanently telework (With occasional hoteling options once that's possible). The home desk space is nice, but just does not allow for enough mental separation between work and home. I'm looking forward to having a space I truly just associate with work, that is separate from anywhere else I really spend time in my home.

edit to add - anyone who said early on, "get dressed for work like you normally would" ... hahahahahahahahahano. Pretty much going to get rid of most of my work clothes and rely on a few staple pieces for future rare office attire needs.

I keep an empty cardboard box near my desk so I can raise my laptop/camera when I am on Zoom/Teams calls. This puts the camera at my height and it doesn't look like I am looking down at everyone - "it puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again!" A straight ahead (slightly raised) angle is more flattering chin-wise #NoMitchMcConnell. My desk is behind a window, so I get plenty of flattering direct light on my face, but I keep a lamp nearby for cloudy days or to supplement daylight. I see some at work that are backlit and it looks like they are testifying on TV against the mafia. Side-lit is not much better.

I got a new work laptop in September to replace my 5 year old laptop. the newer one has a sharp wide lens picture so if I don’t adequately plan my angle it can pick up very detailed shots of all my kids stupid shit they don’t pick up.

Plus it’s a cold and drafty basement. That hasn’t changed.

Also my beard and hair are getting longer - with my glasses, by the time I return to work I’ll look just like Judah mannowdog.

Also my beard and hair are getting longer - with my glasses, by the time I return to work I’ll look just like Judah mannowdog.

Just tell people you are growing your hair long to donate.

Does anyone have an office chair that they love, sub $300? I would prefer it to not look like I am competing for the grand prize in a League of Legends tournament. However, I am here for all your recommendations.

Does anyone have an office chair that they love, sub $300? I would prefer it to not look like I am competing for the grand prize in a League of Legends tournament. However, I am here for all your recommendations.

Might want to see if there are any local office liquidators nearby.

Recently added a standing desk to my already great home office setup. It’s hard to see how going back to the office can top this.

Recently added a standing desk to my already great home office setup. It’s hard to see how going back to the office can top this.

Work just announced they will be allowing 60% (3 day a week) telework when we reopen back up. We'll see how closely they check that, as policies like this are usually left up to manager discretion, and mine is currently based in London.

That's probably the thing I miss most about going to the office. My desk there is full standing which is nice.

That's probably the thing I miss most about going to the office. My desk there is full standing which is nice.

I got a new office during the pandemic with new furniture and I have an adjustable desk with my monitors on it.

Back