• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Work from Home Life Pro Tips

DistrictDeacon

Reaction score
Who here has come good work from home tips for all of us who aren't used to this, but will probably be stuck at home for the next couple of months?

Based on Day 1, I can recommend:

• An actual monitor - laptop screens suck when looking at more than one document at a time
  • A good headset - clearer and less feedback
  • Warn the dog before you start a call - they get anxious when you just start talking to someone who's not in the room
  • Older co-workers will need lots of tech handholding - be patient, as the quicker they get how to join a webex and learn how to mute, the less frustrating it will be for you

I’m at the office now and borrowing a docking station to supplement my home office setup.

An extra monitor is essential. It’ll be enough of a step down going from 3 to 2 but having just a laptop screen is a no go.

Our office is closed and I didn’t think to grab my dock. Laptop only has USB-C ports. :(

Went in to grab my extra monitors and the docking port this morning. Absolutely essential

Learn how to introvert. Read "Quiet" by Susan Cain for tips on that. Her Quiet Revolution website is also golden.

make sure you and everyone are completely out of your video teleconference session before you take a sip from that bourbon or pull your wang out for a tug.

Be sure you are muted on your meeting before starting any conversations at home. Really sure. Double check, don't assume.

I listened to someone eat an entire bowl of cereal, slurping the milk at the end and all during a teleconference once.

We listened to someone snore during a system outage. For like 30 mins. Couldn't wake the guy.

I've heard so many "private" conversations people have had while on a conference call it's ridiculous. Once, a guy was talking about dinner plans and whatnot with his wife and everybody just stopped and listened. It was an interesting/oddly funny conversation. He was given much grief and it became a running joke for a long time.

I listened to someone eat an entire bowl of cereal, slurping the milk at the end and all during a teleconference once.

We listened to someone snore during a system outage. For like 30 mins. Couldn't wake the guy.

I've heard so many "private" conversations people have had while on a conference call it's ridiculous. Once, a guy was talking about dinner plans and whatnot with his wife and everybody just stopped and listened. It was an interesting/oddly funny conversation. He was given much grief and it became a running joke for a long time.

That’s why Webex, etc are so much better that traditional phone conference calls. It’s easy to see and then mute the offender.

That’s why Webex, etc are so much better that traditional phone conference calls. It’s easy to see and then mute the offender.

The first one was years ago before web conferencing was a thing. It was a straight telephone conference line.

The second one, we had the ability just not the desire to mute him. It was too amusing. lol

We use Skype (now transitioning to MS Teams) so online conference calls are nothing new to us. They're always audio only -- what kind of sick freaks want to do video conference calls?

Was in a training last year and a guy had his laptop camera on. He carried it into the bathroom so we got to watch him shirtless brushing his teeth. Oops.

How do I stop constantly having sex while working from home ? Asking for a friend.

Shower in the morning like you normally would. Even if you put your PJs back on.

this thread needs tags. damn you strick.

Pro: not going to the office candy bowl
Con: I would love some candy right now

Back