Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Work from Home Life Pro Tips

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuck95 View Post
    Smoove do you mean it is now harder not to do other things when on zoom calls? I've found it incredibly helpful to have two screens on zooms to look at docs and other things.
    I mean itís harder to hide that Iím doing other things when Iím supposed to be paying attention, because Iíve moved my windows to the other screen, and now itís clear Iím not looking at the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesSokolove View Post
    Took me a while, but Ive realized a morning nap while working from home is way more refreshing than an afternoon one.
    where do you (and DDD) fall on the "delight" spectrum? afternoon or morning?

Quote Originally Posted by SmooveDeac View Post
    I mean itís harder to hide that Iím doing other things when Iím supposed to be paying attention, because Iíve moved my windows to the other screen, and now itís clear Iím not looking at the camera.
    The key is to split screen the zoom on one monitor with whatever else youíre working on so youíre looking at that monitor.
    Hungry

Steve Lepore WhatUTalkinBout Willis's Avatar
    Right here, chained to this desk for eternity
    I find the 3 monitor setup (2 large screens and the laptop screen below) mounted up on the VariDesk is the perfect combo. I almost never run out of real estate even with multiple clinical or analytics apps up, and the laptop camera is dead center of all of it.

cookout = blabbermouth?
    Quote Originally Posted by DeaconCav06 View Post
    The key is to split screen the zoom on one monitor with whatever else youíre working on so youíre looking at that monitor.
    Yup, that's exactly what I do

Quote Originally Posted by wfudkn View Post
    My wife started using a vertical mouse a couple of years ago because of her wrist and she absolutely swears by it. Hers is made by Anker, but they all look relatively similar.
    Same - I used one for a while at work and it was super helpful; definitely recommend it as a first option.

Now at home all my stuff is not at the right erg height and it's all jacked up again anyway, but it was fun while it lasted.
    I know how to spell definitely.

So how's everyone doing ~10 months in?

I'm currently sitting in my driveway in my neighbor's 1980s Shasta camper trailer that we've borrowed/plopped in the driveway to be my private office. I have a space heater and office chair out here, and my laptop/monitor set up on the dinette table. I'm affectionately calling it my Budget Bunker... though realistically it looks and feels more like a hostage situation. The first few days people thought the scene behind me was a fake zoom background. Tiny Baby started back up at daycare in August, so now it's just husband and I still working from home every day, with stepkids here every other week. I only come to the trailer when they're here; it's just way too chaotic inside to do my body of work with that level of distraction and it wasn't good for anybody.

The trailer is temporary, though - we've actually cleared out our gear storage room in the garage and will be finishing it out to be a dedicated home office space. It will still require a space heater/isn't on the system, but we're running new electrical and installing a window to the backyard (in addition to insulating/drywalling) so it will be pretty great. This will be especially good, since my work group is now designated to permanently telework (With occasional hoteling options once that's possible). The home desk space is nice, but just does not allow for enough mental separation between work and home. I'm looking forward to having a space I truly just associate with work, that is separate from anywhere else I really spend time in my home.

edit to add - anyone who said early on, "get dressed for work like you normally would" ... hahahahahahahahahano. Pretty much going to get rid of most of my work clothes and rely on a few staple pieces for future rare office attire needs.
    I know how to spell definitely.

I keep an empty cardboard box near my desk so I can raise my laptop/camera when I am on Zoom/Teams calls. This puts the camera at my height and it doesn't look like I am looking down at everyone - "it puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again!" A straight ahead (slightly raised) angle is more flattering chin-wise #NoMitchMcConnell. My desk is behind a window, so I get plenty of flattering direct light on my face, but I keep a lamp nearby for cloudy days or to supplement daylight. I see some at work that are backlit and it looks like they are testifying on TV against the mafia. Side-lit is not much better.

I got a new work laptop in September to replace my 5 year old laptop. the newer one has a sharp wide lens picture so if I donít adequately plan my angle it can pick up very detailed shots of all my kids stupid shit they donít pick up.

Plus itís a cold and drafty basement. That hasnít changed.

Also my beard and hair are getting longer - with my glasses, by the time I return to work Iíll look just like Judah mannowdog.

Quote Originally Posted by 06deacon View Post
    Also my beard and hair are getting longer - with my glasses, by the time I return to work Iíll look just like Judah mannowdog.
    Just tell people you are growing your hair long to donate.

Does anyone have an office chair that they love, sub $300? I would prefer it to not look like I am competing for the grand prize in a League of Legends tournament. However, I am here for all your recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyClutch View Post
    Does anyone have an office chair that they love, sub $300? I would prefer it to not look like I am competing for the grand prize in a League of Legends tournament. However, I am here for all your recommendations.
    Might want to see if there are any local office liquidators nearby.
    Hungry

Recently added a standing desk to my already great home office setup. Itís hard to see how going back to the office can top this.

Recently added a standing desk to my already great home office setup. Itís hard to see how going back to the office can top this.
    Work just announced they will be allowing 60% (3 day a week) telework when we reopen back up. We'll see how closely they check that, as policies like this are usually left up to manager discretion, and mine is currently based in London.

That's probably the thing I miss most about going to the office. My desk there is full standing which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by BarcaDeac View Post
    That's probably the thing I miss most about going to the office. My desk there is full standing which is nice.
    I got a new office during the pandemic with new furniture and I have an adjustable desk with my monitors on it.
    Hungry

What kind of stand up desk are y'all using at home?