• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL 2020-2021 Season Superbowl LV: Tampa Bay Buccaneers, QB Tom Brady Champs!

The NFL is the only pro league that penalizes excellence and promotes mediocrity. That doesn't make you better. It makes the owners richer, the players poorer and screws the fans.

The people who create the revenue should get the money. No one would pay $5M for a Super Bowl ad in a game of the Hunt family vs. the Glazers.

Thanks, Pete Rozelle.

If Brady wins, he will have more Super Bowl wins than any NFL franchise. At what point after his retirement are they going to start to name trophies after him.

This Tom Brady dude might be good. If he goes through Rodgers/Mahomes to win this one it'll really cement the legacy

You are goddamn right it cements a legacy. Rogers couldn't do it, Brees couldn't do it, Peyton couldn't do it. You know who could do it, twice? EfuckingLIte.

Re the Packers decision to kick the FG, I think this is how the analytics treat that scenario...
Go for it on 4th and goal from the 8 has, say, 30% odds of scoring a TD. Even after you do that, you still have to make the 2 pt conversion (50%?) and stop the Bucs from getting even a FG (60%?) just to get to OT (50%).

Compare that scenario to Kick the chip shot FG (98%), stop bucs from getting 2 or more first downs (50%?), TD drive with no 2 pt conversion necessary (50%?).

If your defense has to get a stop either way, would you rather have 2 must convert plays just to give you a 50% chance to win vs Aaron Rodgers to lead a td drive for a 100% chance to win?

Still hard to argue with the common sense logic of... you know you’re going to need a TD at some point and you’re on the 8, so now is the time to push all your chips in.

not sure what the right call is on whether or not to go for it, but not trying to boom the subsequent kickoff out of the endzone was dumb

without commenting on the fairness of hard caps for players versus owners, it definitely rewards better front offices who are smart about roster construction in a league where the rich teams can't just buy their way to contention

without commenting on the fairness of hard caps for players versus owners, it definitely rewards better front offices who are smart about roster construction in a league where the rich teams can't just buy their way to contention

Yep. It also encourages roster turnover at a fairly alarming rate.

I think the Packers went offsides on 2nd and 1 on purpose and that was an excellent decision to just give them the first down without time going off the clock or wasting a time out.

No, it penalizes good front offices who draft well and identify talent. They can't keep the talent they found and developed.

BTW, although I oppose all caps, what I proposed is an NFL Bird Rule.

One of the reasons that the NFL keeps the hard cap is the team to team disparity in the revenues that are not counted when setting the cap. These not counted revenue streams would have a much greater impact on talent distribution without the hard cap.

Two arguements could be made:
1. The percent of "counted" revenue in the player salary cap should be greater.

2. More revenue streams should be included when calculating the cap.

Rodgers comments were interesting, adding to his beautiful and mysterious future comments. I think there is a good chance he's dealt this offseason. GB has an issue in dealing him - large cap hit pre 6/1, about half of that hit post 6/1. But he's never going to have a higher trade value than he has now. If I had to guess, it would be Rodgers to SF, Stafford to Indy, Watson to NYJ and maybe Garropolo to NE.

As for Brady, he made some great throws yesterday. He also threw 3 bad picks, which should have been 4. He's now 3-1 in playoff games when he throws 3 picks, a feat that will likely never be bettered. GB has got to be kicking itself this a.m. The 4th down FG was absolutely the wrong call. Yeah, Rodgers should have run on 3rd, but you go for it on 4th, and if you miss, you have them backed up with 3 TOs in your pocket. And Pettine's coverage call at the end of the 1st half was as bad as the call that got Gregg Williams fired. You give them anything inside and play outside and deeper to try to take away outs and the deep ball.

One of the reasons that the NFL keeps the hard cap is the team to team disparity in the revenues that are not counted when setting the cap. These not counted revenue streams would have a much greater impact on talent distribution without the hard cap.

Two arguements could be made:
1. The percent of "counted" revenue in the player salary cap should be greater.

2. More revenue streams should be included when calculating the cap.

the NFLPA is the weakest major sports union in the world.

Rodgers comments were interesting, adding to his beautiful and mysterious future comments. I think there is a good chance he's dealt this offseason. GB has an issue in dealing him - large cap hit pre 6/1, about half of that hit post 6/1. But he's never going to have a higher trade value than he has now. If I had to guess, it would be Rodgers to SF, Stafford to Indy, Watson to NYJ and maybe Garropolo to NE.

As for Brady, he made some great throws yesterday. He also threw 3 bad picks, which should have been 4. He's now 3-1 in playoff games when he throws 3 picks, a feat that will likely never be bettered. GB has got to be kicking itself this a.m. The 4th down FG was absolutely the wrong call. Yeah, Rodgers should have run on 3rd, but you go for it on 4th, and if you miss, you have them backed up with 3 TOs in your pocket. And Pettine's coverage call at the end of the 1st half was as bad as the call that got Gregg Williams fired. You give them anything inside and play outside and deeper to try to take away outs and the deep ball.

I really don't see any way Watson would go to the Jets. Remember, he's one of the very, very few NFL players with a no trade clause.

That makes sense.

After all that, the Texans hired David Culley, the Ravens passing game coordinator.

OK.

Back