• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL 2020-2021 Season Superbowl LV: Tampa Bay Buccaneers, QB Tom Brady Champs!

steve young was pretty good

yeah, but I'm not sure I count him

Lamar Jackson is three games into his third season and has half as many rush attempts as Steve Young had in his 15 year career

Cam is the closest in terms of rush attempts and he had sustained success, but he also paid for it with his body (and the refs failure to protect him from big hits)

I'd say averaging at least 5 attempts per game over the course of the season

I distinguish between guys who are running designed run plays and guys who are good at scrambling on pass plays

The game has changed, I guess.

Randall Cunningham would have def been considered a "running QB" in his day, but I can't say he had many designed runs the way Vick did or Jackson does now.

KC's coaching staff badly outcoached the Ravens. Watching KC's offense is a thing of beauty. I know Wink likes to blitz a bunch, but that's just the wrong thing to do to Mahomes. Great QBs shred too much blitzing, and Mahomes is the best in the game. LAC's D gave them a tougher time because of their ability to get home without blitzing because they have Ingram and Bosa off the edge. Looking at their schedule, not sure who is going to beat them if they stay healthy. They have to go to Buf, TB and NO, but without fans they don't have to worry about communication issues. I don't see NE's D stopping that O with half their starters missing from last year.

But I love the hot takes here that Lamar is suddenly trash. No, he's not elite, and I would have agreed that he's not elite before last night. Right now there are 3 elite QBs - Mahomes, Wilson and Rodgers, in that order. And there are a handful of QBs that are in that next tier down, and he's in that group. And as a Ravens fan, the only QB in that next tier who I would rather have than Jackson is probably Kyler Murray, despite him also having an off game on Sunday. Maybe healthy Cam too. But given how much Jackson has already improved as a passer since his rookie year and how hard he works, I would not be surprised if he does take that next step. He still needs to work a bit on accuracy and pre-snap reads when dealing with blitzes. He still relies on his athleticism to get away from blitzes and doesn't pick them apart like Mahomes does. He's fine going through his progressions when not pressured, so that's the main thing he and Roman need to work on.

Ok. I think there’s a distinction between a player who was expected to be good and wasn’t and didn’t have a career (bust) and a guy who was picked ahead of where he should have been but will stick around (bad pick).

Trubisky’s already been in the league longer than Russell was. He will probably have a long career in the league and probably be a starter again. Mariota and Winston are in the same boat and people don’t really label them busts. The issue with Trubisky is that he went ahead of much better QBs.

If you think that’s dumb, that’s fine.

It's a good distinction. Russell and Leaf are on a different level of bust. They were out of the league quickly. Trubisky will stick around at least as a backup for awhile. Russell was so bad that it prompted the NFLPA to scale back rookie contracts.

I'd say averaging at least 5 attempts per game over the course of the season

I distinguish between guys who are running designed run plays and guys who are good at scrambling on pass plays

where do you place russell wilson? he does both and has averaged over 5 rushing attempts per game over his nfl career.

Titans report 8 new cases (3 players/5 personnel).

I'm definitely skeptical how through the first three weeks the entire NFL reported being essentially case-free.

Is Josh Allen a running QB?

What if he were black? I feel like that would help to fuel that perception.

Josh Allen is defs a running QB

Only ran 4 times each of the last two weeks (after 14 carries in Week 1).

The more I dig into this topic, the crazier it is from a career and single season stats perspective.

Mike Vick, Cam Newton, Randall Cunningham, Steve Young, Russell Wilson - Top 5 in career rushing yards

Lamar Jackson has the two seasons with the most carries by a QB (2018 & 2019)

5 QBs currently average more than 5 carries a game:

Cam
Lamar
Kyler
Josh Allen
Burrow

BTW, people sleep on Burrow’s running ability, but he can move.

Also Daniel Jones is currently 4th in QB rushing yards.

Every QB except the old guys are expected to run some nowadays. Jackson is an elite runner so he’s going to run more.

Titans report 8 new cases (3 players/5 personnel).

I'm definitely skeptical how through the first three weeks the entire NFL reported being essentially case-free.

Going into training camp, I was skeptical that the NFL was going to pull off having a full season. But after watching Hard Knocks and seeing all of the precautions they were taking, I was extremely impressed. I don't think there has been a time in the last 2 months when they've had double digits of players on the covid list. I'm sure the NBA was taking notes because there is no way you can have an entire season in a bubble. Also makes me wonder if pro athletes will be given priority when it comes to getting the vaccine. I had a semi-annual doctor's appt last week and asked my doc when she thought a vaccine would be available for someone like me (healthy and in my 50s), and she thinks mid-late Spring.

The NFL is going to have to manipulate the schedule as the Titans and Steelers (week 4 opponents) don't share bye weeks. If the Vikings v. Texans game this week gets postponed too, those teams don't share bye weeks. Fantasy players are scrambling.

Back