• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former Wake Forest football player, Senator Richard Burr

Fuck Richard Burr.
My Dad knew him in the 80's and did not think highly of him at all.
He, nor I, were surprised at this turn of news.

I like Richard Burr. Not a Republican or a Trumper, but I know him and like him. This hate is way overblown. Burr has represented North Carolina and Winston-Salem exceptionally-well over a very successful career and is well-respected by many fellow senators on both sides. Dude did some things that are slightly morally grey, but decidedly not illegal. He is a politician and has had to play the game that they all play, particularly with the weird pressures that come from having to please the GOP. He is one of the good ones, though.

I will not be debating this. Political arguments are such a bummer. Just don't like seeing my man and a fellow Deac slandered in this echo chamber. I hate to even be propagating this conversation. Looking forward to a torrent of neg reps! Now move this shit to the tunnels.

Your friend is a criminal and should be in jail. Be careful who you associate with.

Political arguments are a bummer for people who aren't well informed, like you. What he did is not morally grey, it's morally repugnant. Your moral compass is way off.

An unprecedented storm was coming for the American people, and he was well aware of its severity because of the information he was exposed to as a member of that committee. Instead of warning his constituents of the imminent danger, he publicly downplayed the threat while allowing a select few well-connected donors access to the insider information he possessed. Then, before the economy cratered under the weight of this disease, he sold off stock based on that insider information. What he did borders on treason, and is at the very least disqualifying. I personally hope he spends the rest of his life being well-respected by the federal prison guards who supervise him.

Fuck off with this bullshit.
I agree with a lot of this post, but not the prison part. If charged and convicted, Richard could face some serious shit though. I was Burr’s frat brother (Kappa Sig)but didn’t know him that well because he was a senior when I was pledging my second semester at WF. But I do recall that he was a good guy and well respected on campus and in the frat. We had two or three football players and a few baseball players (and a ton of golfers), and they were good guys too. Burr was good friends with a KA who was involved with the old Congressional Club, Tom Fetzer, who probably had some role in Burrheads move into politics. The stock sale was wrong, but I can’t say I wouldn’t have done the same. The thing that really bothers me was the message he was communicating to his constituents. Some of my friends lost millions due to the messaging of Burr and the White House. I can’t get over that.

I thought this was what blind trusts were for? I apparently assumed too many congressmen had them.

I agree with a lot of this post, but not the prison part. If charged and convicted, Richard could face some serious shit though. I was Burr’s frat brother (Kappa Sig)but didn’t know him that well because he was a senior when I was pledging my second semester at WF. But I do recall that he was a good guy and well respected on campus and in the frat. We had two or three football players and a few baseball players (and a ton of golfers), and they were good guys too. Burr was good friends with a KA who was involved with the old Congressional Club, Tom Fetzer, who probably had some role in Burrheads move into politics. The stock sale was wrong, but I can’t say I wouldn’t have done the same. The thing that really bothers me was the message he was communicating to his constituents. Some of my friends lost millions due to the messaging of Burr and the White House. I can’t get over that.

Probably best to not admit you’d openly break the law, but points for honesty I guess.

You're defending his selfish lies to America and his constituents so apparently you can "get over it."

You're defending his selfish lies to America and his constituents so apparently you can "get over it."

I didn’t defend him at all. I can understand why he panicked and did it, but I don’t condone it. And his lies to the public were reprehensible.

The brother in law stuff makes it worse in the regard than he thought not only he was above the fray but he wanted to make sure that his family cashed in while millions of Americans were gonna suffer. Even if not illegal certainly conduct unbecoming of an elected politician regardless of college or party affiliation

I didn’t defend him at all. I can understand why he panicked and did it, but I don’t condone it. And his lies to the public were reprehensible.

You did. "He was a good guy." A basic paraphrase of your post is [I did not know him well but he was a good guy. He should not be punished despite doing a shitty thing.]

Not only did he do the shitty stuff WHILE lying a out to his constituents and America as a PUBLIC SERVANT but he doubled down IN SECRET to help his family. Who else? May never know. After all that what did he do? He lied again that he did nothing wrong.

At least ask yourself if you ever really knew a man that would do all that and say "probably not."

I am defending him and continue to. This was permitted under the rules. There was more than enough info out there. Is it a violation now to buy? Of course not, it’s moronic not to do so. And he shouldn’t be prevented from buying merely because he’s in the Senate. If they want to make trading stocks not allowed for those in Congress, pass the law and people can decide accordingly whether to be in Congress. That’s not the law.

Your alls complete misunderstanding of the law does not make Richard Burr a bad person.

MNPI rules for bank employees are much stricter than Congress. Fuck that guy. Assholes in Congress have been doing this shit forever. Its how they get rich making 200k a year.

I am defending him and continue to. This was permitted under the rules. There was more than enough info out there. Is it a violation now to buy? Of course not, it’s moronic not to do so. And he shouldn’t be prevented from buying merely because he’s in the Senate. If they want to make trading stocks not allowed for those in Congress, pass the law and people can decide accordingly whether to be in Congress. That’s not the law.

Your alls complete misunderstanding of the law does not make Richard Burr a bad person.

The circuits are divided on this issue. I once again refer you to the article written by the WFU law professor. It remains to be seen if he will be indicted.

And if you want to buy with a depression heading our way, more power to ya.

Like with 2&2 and coronavirus, when so many other people say you’re wrong, you’re wrong.

MNPI rules for bank employees are much stricter than Congress. Fuck that guy. Assholes in Congress have been doing this shit forever. Its how they get rich making 200k a year.

Well put. Given the bounce back in the market, would be curious to know how his positions would be sitting today vs when he sold them (apologies if this is earlier in the thread, i didnt go back through all the pages)

You’re defending his decision to lie to the public and privately do the opposite? You defend him purposefully misleading his constituents?

Forget whether this was technically legal. Do you at least agree it was unethical? Immoral?

He didn’t lie to the public. Huge misread of Lamars article.

The Dow goes 30 to 18 because half the country sold. Burr and his brother in law weren’t the only ones to respond to the very public COVID scare.

Burr isn’t the first crook who was “a good guy and well respected on campus and in the frat.”

The Dow goes 30 to 18 because half the country sold. Burr and his brother in law weren’t the only ones to respond to the very public COVID scare.

Wrong. He misled the public in his stupid op ed and other statements intended to create a false sense of security when privately he did the opposite.

You’re not going to consider anything contrary to the incorrect position you’ve taken so I’m not sure why I’m even bothering.

But he and his BIL sold at 30. Your boy Trump and Burr were downplaying COVID (publicly) until March.

Back