• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former Wake Forest football player, Senator Richard Burr

Someone here defending Burr claimed they were happy with our new men's bb coach because he "cheats" [hopefully this is not to be the case].

Makes sense.

Last edited:
Seems like the only reason you HAVE to hire a lawyer is the defendant/insurance company isn’t taking responsibility or treating you fairly and honestly. Not to mention handling all the other issues like coverage disputes, liens, etc. Seems like the vitriol should be in their direction, not the person trying to help. Also seems like a pretty big failure in educating the public regarding what we actually do.

Right. And lawyers love it. Because it means they take 40 cents of every dollar that the injured person is owed. Imagine being injured/maimed/permanent disfigured and know you’re never going to be made whole because you HAVE to hire a lawyer.

A simpler, fairer system would put them out of business. Just like how H&R Block spends tens of millions to lobby against tax reform.
Wrong. Usually, the lawyer is the reason the client comes close to be made whole. Insurance companies like the Reff’s State Farm, Allsnake and Nationwide have long low balled claimants and forced them into litigation/trial to get justice. Without good attorneys willing to take those bastards to trial, they would never voluntarily pay anything fair to anyone.

And what better system do you suggest? Using a software program to value cases and force injured persons to accept whatever number is spit out? Lawyers level the playing field with the insurance companies, who have lawyers working hard on their side. Just hope you don’t get injured by a driver insured by one of the companies listed above. If you do, it won’t take you long to hire a lawyer.

But he and his BIL sold at 30. Your boy Trump and Burr were downplaying COVID (publicly) until March.

Media was downplaying it. Cuomo was downplaying it. DeBlasio certainly downplayed it into late February telling people to get out into NYC restaurants. Pelosi certainly downplayed it into late February telling people to go into Chinatown in San Fran--no problem. CDC thru April 4 said the risk for most Americans is low. USA Today John Bacon said the coronavirus is not a global concern. Dr Anthony Fauci in late Jan said the virus is not a major threat to the people of the U.S. and is not something we should be worried about. Yet it was Trump who cut off flights from China & flights from Europe, both hotspots in late Jan & early Feb, thus saving hundreds of thousands of lives! So bloviate on wfu22, your liberal Trump-hate is raging but your facts are wrong!

Okay but that doesn’t change the fact that Burr sat in meetings with top level information about the disease and it’s impending threat in January and February and was well aware of the ramifications it was having globally.

The point is well taken, but that's easily distinguishable. Most of my friends in sales receive a base salary, and even the one I can think of who is 100% commission has a built-in customer base with their company. So yes, more sales means more money, but that's not what's happening in most plaintiff's injury cases. I never claimed lawyers are the only people who make more if they have more success. That would be ridiculous.

I'm asking for an example where a client can come to you, as a professional, and not owe a dime unless there is a successful outcome based on your services. Oh, and that also means that any expenses pursuing that outcome on behalf of said client are eaten by the professional in the event of an unsuccessful outcome.

Most anybody that is an insurance agent is 100% sales commission, self employed and totally dependent on providing good service to keep their client base happy so they renew and sell new policies so they make new commission. Nobody I know, whether they are Allstate, Nationwide, State Farm, Farm Bureau, etc, are paid any base salary at all. We are all independent contractors who have to employee a licensed staff, pay them good salary & sales commission for what they sell, plus good benefits. Otherwise they won't stay with you for very long. None of the insurance companies pay for any of our staff nor benefits at all. They just pay the independent business owner agents straight commission. You work hard over the years, build up a great client base and build up the renewals every six months or annually by providing good service. So make of that what you will but that is the way of our industry. You can be as big as you want or small as you want, just depends on how hard you want to work and along the way you can make a great income, go on some great trips [taxed as income] and have a good life. But it is 100% commission!

Okay but that doesn’t change the fact that Burr sat in meetings with top level information about the disease and it’s impending threat in January and February and was well aware of the ramifications it was having globally.[/QUO

Sure he did. But he also saw what a lot could see coming by also putting 2 + 2 together from seeing the tea leaves from China and a couple of those stranded cruise ships. I know when that one cruise ship got stranded outside the U.S. in early March, it scared me enough to get out of my largest position in Shopify [SHOP] which had exploded way up the ladder. Can't say I got out of everything in a timely fashion, but by getting out of SHOP, sitting for a few weeks & surveying the situation, it enabled me to find great positions Covid & post-Covid stocks like TDOC [up 100], NFLX, DOCU, Zoom [ZM] [in & out], ROKU [in & out],
DXCM [up 200+ since Covid]. And the best tip I can give you--OPK @ only $2.10 right now--starting doing ALL the Covid testing in NY as BioReference Labs [nation's 3rd largest lab], now up to 35,000 per day and 700,000 total and most all of these will hit in 2nd qtr earnings Aug 6. Just inked a contract to do ALL the antibody testing for NYC residents plus will be running up to 400,000 antibody SARS-Cov-2 specific tests by mid-May. So do your own due diligence but check out this stock. It could make you wealthy. Options are cheap also!

Don’t leave out your best financial tip reff! If you tell the government your business has dried up (wink) they’ll send you free money straight from the pockets of honest taxpayers! Free money!

Don’t worry, lawyers, Joe Kennedy’s got your back

Don’t leave out your best financial tip reff! If you tell the government your business has dried up (wink) they’ll send you free money straight from the pockets of honest taxpayers! Free money!

Did not dry up for sure but like other small businesses, we all get hurt because people are not out there conducting normal business. People are not buying new cars and people are not buying new houses. Nor are they driving near that much and on that front our company is giving back a very nice $2 billion dividend in June. For all auto insurance companies I am sure when each state allows their rate revisions & changes [NC is usually in Oct & April], you will see a reduction in auto insurance rates due to the lower incidents of accidents during this period. So yes, because of the Covid virus there will be income reductions whether you see them as warranted or not--self-employed agents still have the same exact bills to pay & hopefully same staff on their payroll. Thus the need for the Stimulus monies.

But also hopefully you look at a couple of those stocks that are post-Covid type stocks that seem to make a lot of sense. Plus the little drug stock--OPK. I loaded up on a lot of call options on it--May & June $1.00 plus some Sept & Dec $2.00 & $3.00 along with a lot of shares!!! With that much testing being done at around $100 per pop [35,000 per day] plus the new antibody testing & deal with RiteAid for drive thru testing it has tons of promise thru the end of the year as the country gets back to work!

Did not dry up for sure but like other small businesses, we all get hurt because people are not out there conducting normal business. People are not buying new cars and people are not buying new houses. Nor are they driving near that much and on that front our company is giving back a very nice $2 billion dividend in June. For all auto insurance companies I am sure when each state allows their rate revisions & changes [NC is usually in Oct & April], you will see a reduction in auto insurance rates due to the lower incidents of accidents during this period. So yes, because of the Covid virus there will be income reductions whether you see them as warranted or not--self-employed agents still have the same exact bills to pay & hopefully same staff on their payroll. Thus the need for the Stimulus monies.

But also hopefully you look at a couple of those stocks that are post-Covid type stocks that seem to make a lot of sense. Plus the little drug stock--OPK. I loaded up on a lot of call options on it--May & June $1.00 plus some Sept & Dec $2.00 & $3.00 along with a lot of shares!!! With that much testing being done at around $100 per pop [35,000 per day] plus the new antibody testing & deal with RiteAid for drive thru testing it has tons of promise thru the end of the year as the country gets back to work!

• Opko Health Inc. (OPK)
MarketBeat Profile, MSN Money, Yahoo Finance
o In related news, CEO Phillip Md Et Al Frost bought 400,000 shares of the stock in a transaction dated Thursday, May 7th. The stock was bought at an average price of $1.95 per share, with a total value of $780,000.00. Following the purchase, the chief executive officer now owns 3,068,951 shares in the company, valued at approximately $5,984,454.45. The acquisition was disclosed in a document filed with the Securities & Exchange Commission, which is accessible through this hyperlink.
o (5/8) BRIEF-OPKO Health's Bioreference Laboratories Launches Covid-19 Antibody Screening For New York City Residents (reuters.com)
o (5/8) OPKO Health's BioReference Laboratories Launches COVID-19 Antibody Screening for New York City Residents (prnewswire.com)
o (5/8) Opko reference lab unit launches COVID-19 antibody screening in NY (seekingalpha.com)
o (5/8) Opko Health Inc. (NASDAQ:OPK) CEO Buys $780,000.00 in Stock (americanbankingnews.com)

This thread has taken a turn, but thanks for the stock tip Reff. Looks interesting for sure. Now if Senator Burr is recommending it to his close family and friends, I’m all in.

This thread has taken a turn, but thanks for the stock tip Reff. Looks interesting for sure. Now if Senator Burr is recommending it to his close family and friends, I’m all in.

Can't tell you what Senator Burr is doing, but I can tell you what I am doing with OPK! It is up another.20 today to $2.60 on 14 million shares already. I bought 20 more Sept $3.00 calls this morning, bringing my total to 98 total calls spread out from this Friday, May15 to June 19, Sept 18, Dec 18 & Jan 15. Not to mention the regular shares. A great way to take advantage of all the testing that will be going on from now until the end of the year as people try to get back to so-called normal lives. People need to do their own due diligence of course but this one is a real opportunity.

Thanks Reff. Picked up a few Dec $2.00 calls. Waiting on the signal from Burr before going in heavier. He has a knack for timing these things perfectly.

When are they doing the search warrant on Loeffler? Oh wait, she's been a loyal Trump surrogate.

Back