• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former Wake Forest football player, Senator Richard Burr

Richard Burr, Kelly Loeffler urged to resign for selling stocks after coronavirus briefing
By Noah ManskarMarch 20, 2020 | 9:31am

Two more senators made hefty stock sales before the coronavirus pandemic tanked global markets, records revealed as two other lawmakers who dumped millions in shares faced mounting calls to resign.

Sens. Dianne Feinstein and Jim Inhofe sold as much as $6.4 million worth of stock in the weeks before panic about the coronavirus sparked a worldwide selloff, according to disclosure filings first reported by the New York Times.

The additional revelations came amid widespread outrage toward GOP senators Richard Burr and Kelly Loeffler, who reportedly traded shares after getting briefings on the coronavirus threat.

Feinstein, a California Democrat, sold $500,001 to $1 million worth of stock in a company called Allogene Therapeutics on Jan. 31, less than a month before panic about the virus caused markets to plunge, Senate records show. Her husband sold $1,000,001 to $5 million worth of Allogene shares on Feb. 18, according to financial disclosures.

And Inhofe, an Oklahoma Republican, dumped as much as $600,000 worth of stock on Jan. 27, records show. He sold shares in five different companies including Apple, PayPal and Brookfield Asset Management, according to a disclosure report.

Inhofe representatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment. But Feinstein spokesman Tom Mentzer said her husband made the transactions, not the senator herself.

“All of Senator Feinstein’s assets are in a blind trust, as they have been since she came to the Senate,” Mentzer said in an email. “She has no involvement in any of her husband’s financial decisions.”

The revelations came as figures across the political spectrum said Burr and Loeffler should resign for using sensitive information to cash in before fears about the virus tanked global stock markets.

“It is stomach-churning that the first thoughts these Senators had to a dire & classified #COVID briefing was how to profit off this crisis,” Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) said on Twitter Thursday night.

“I don’t care if you’re Republican or Democrat,” tweeted Charlie Kirk, a prominent conservative activist and chair of Students for Trump. “If you trade with inside info to enrich yourself during a crisis you are a disgrace. Resign, apologize, and donate all earnings to families of victims of China Virus.”

Senator dumped stocks after coronavirus meeting
Burr, of North Carolina, was receiving daily briefings on the spreading coronavirus around the time he dumped as much as $1.7 million of his stock holdings on Feb. 13, several days, according to ProPublica.

Burr also drew criticism Thursday after NPR reported that he gave stark warnings about the virus’s potential impact to an exclusive North Carolina group while making more muted statements to the public.

Loeffler, a freshman Georgia senator, sold as much as $3.1 million worth of stock from Jan. 24 — the day she attended a private coronavirus briefing — through Feb. 14, The Daily Beast reported Thursday. Loeffler — whose husband is chairman and CEO of the New York Stock Exchange — also reportedly bought shares in the tech firm Oracle and Citrix, which provides teleworking software.

Some Democratic officials said Burr and Loeffler should be investigated and potentially disciplined — or even face criminal charges — for the suspiciously timed transactions.

“Senator Burr should resign and prepare to spend some quality time with a federal grand jury,” tweeted Rep. Jared Huffman (D-Calif.).

“Senators Burr and Loeffler should be investigated by authorities and the Senate Ethics Committee,” former Housing and Urban Development secretary Julián Castro said on Twitter. “If the evidence suggests they engaged in insider trading, they should be charged and stand trial.”

Some observers have noted that Burr was one of just three senators to vote against the 2012 STOCK Act, which bans members of Congress from profiting from non-public information they learn on the job. Former Manhattan US attorney Preet Bharara said congressional lawmakers “should not own individual stocks, period.”

“If you find out about a nation-threatening pandemic and your first move is to adjust your stock portfolio you should probably not be in a job that serves the public interest,” former Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang said on Twitter.

Representatives for Burr and Loeffler did not immediately respond to requests for comment Friday morning. But the senators have defended their stock trades amid the onslaught of criticism.

Loeffler said she leaves decisions about her investment portfolio to third-party advisers. “This is a ridiculous & baseless attack,” she tweeted early Friday, adding that she was informed of the trades on Feb. 16, after they were made.

“Senator Burr filed a financial disclosure form for personal transactions made several weeks before the US and financial markets showed signs of volatility due to the growing coronavirus outbreak,” a spokesperson for Burr told ProPublica.

I’m assuming there is more I formation out there than what was linked. All I saw was he dumped stock on Feb 13 and gave a speech on Feb 27. A quick search of media from those dates shows plenty of reporting about pandemic, problems in Europe, and likely impacts on the market. This information has been readily available for quite some time to anyone who bothered to look. If Burr had information or transmitted information beyond what I could easily find on a google search then I’d be interested.

The Senate was briefed that day

What day? I mean maybe there was wrong-doing but there are videos going back before the dates mentioned of serious warnings about all this. It just doesn’t seem like it was somehow private information. People just weren’t paying attention.

Do you want guillotines? Because this is how you get guillotines.

The biggest news to me is that we have an honor code. Is this the same honor code that we signed as Freshman? Does it apply to all aspects of life? Do non-wake posters follow this honor code? If so when do they sign the honor code? For violations do we still go in front of the honor council?

What day? I mean maybe there was wrong-doing but there are videos going back before the dates mentioned of serious warnings about all this. It just doesn’t seem like it was somehow private information. People just weren’t paying attention.

He's Chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee.

The biggest news to me is that we have an honor code. Is this the same honor code that we signed as Freshman? Does it apply to all aspects of life? Do non-wake posters follow this honor code? If so when do they sign the honor code? For violations do we still go in front of the honor council?

Fuck you turftoega.

He's Chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee.

I know what his job is. I’m simply pointing out that if you bother to look at media from around the world from feb 13 and beyond it doesn’t take an intelligence briefing to see what is potentially happening. Maybe there is more but I haven’t seen that reported yet.

All of Senator Feinstein’s assets are in a blind trust, as they have been since she came to the Senate,” Mentzer said in an email. “She has no involvement in any of her husband’s financial decisions.”

This right here is some grade A bullshit.

She, Inhofe, Burr and Loeffler should all be in deep shit for this.

I seem to recall that our Congress members have exempted themselves from insider trading violations. Perhaps a law was finally passed to address this but at least during the last disaster in 2008, it was all kosher. Sort of like them having their own healthcare plan.

How does the honor code apply to board moderators who are lying assholes?

I know what his job is. I’m simply pointing out that if you bother to look at media from around the world from feb 13 and beyond it doesn’t take an intelligence briefing to see what is potentially happening. Maybe there is more but I haven’t seen that reported yet.

I'm not a lawyer, so I have no idea if what he did is illegal, but what seems at the very least unethical to me is that he dumped his stocks while reassuring constituents all was well.

I'm not a lawyer, so I have no idea if what he did is illegal, but what seems at the very least unethical to me is that he dumped his stocks while reassuring constituents all was well.

Yea, but did he commit any OGBoards honor code violations?

It was a POS move, but he and everyone else will skate. Further confirms that with rare exception everyone is about what's best for themselves, and there's no desire to look out for the collective benefit of all. No better example than the President.

Last edited:

Exactly. I'd personally like to see his head on a pike on top of the Reynolds Building in downtown W-S because I think these kind of insider profiteers are the worst scum on earth, but I'll settle for a censure and resignation from the Senate for unethical behavior. For him and any other congressmen or women who benefited from intelligence briefings.

There is only one scenario that would make his stock sale OK: selling it to contribute money to the Manning buy-out.

Back