• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former Wake Forest football player, Senator Richard Burr

I'm not a lawyer, so I have no idea if what he did is illegal, but what seems at the very least unethical to me is that he dumped his stocks while reassuring constituents all was well.

If he was duplicitous then certainly he should suffer the consequences. I had not heard that. I just know that during that time frame I knew enough to make arrangements for lost work I knew was coming and to start planning to work from home. If I had money in the stock market I would have moved some around as well.

I have a healthy skepticism of the media and wondered if they were sensationalizing a bit but also am pretty cautious when it comes to this stuff. I haven’t seen videos of Burr calming constituents down or advising them on their portfolios during this time but like I said maybe there’s more out there. So far this seems like media bs.

Hey guys! Is it ok if he's contributing to Manning's buy out? Asking for a friend.

(Can't believe no one has thought of that joke yet!)

If he was duplicitous then certainly he should suffer the consequences. I had not heard that. I just know that during that time frame I knew enough to make arrangements for lost work I knew was coming and to start planning to work from home. If I had money in the stock market I would have moved some around as well.

I have a healthy skepticism of the media and wondered if they were sensationalizing a bit but also am pretty cautious when it comes to this stuff. I haven’t seen videos of Burr calming constituents down or advising them on their portfolios during this time but like I said maybe there’s more out there. So far this seems like media bs.

What is even “media” about it? People just noted that he sold stocks (publicly available) after receiving classified briefings. And as far as “calming constituents” goes he wrote an op-Ed on February 7 claiming the country is better prepared than ever before for a potential pandemic/virus. Days later he sold off $1.5 million plus in his portfolio.

He’s going to have a presumption against him that he acted on the material non-public information when making his transactions.

Burr came out hard against...NPR. Called it a tabloid hit piece. If there's a media outfit slower to editorial publication than NPR (maybe PBS?) I don't know it. Seems like I've found the sympathetic audience for that message.

It's not about comparing you with him. He's subject to the STOCK Act:

The Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge (STOCK) Act prohibits members and employees of Congress from using "any nonpublic information derived from the individual's position ... or gained from performance of the individual's duties, for personal benefit". Classified briefings would seem to fall under "nonpublic information".

Also for Feinstein and others who claim they don't directly control those decisions: "A member, officer, or employee of the Senate shall not receive any compensation, nor shall he permit any compensation to accrue to his beneficial interest from any source, the receipt or accrual of which would occur by virtue of influence improperly exerted from his position as a member, officer, or employee."

The honorable thing would be for all 3 to disgorge their profits and contribute it to coronavirus relief.

Kelli is richer than hell. She previously was married to the founder of Mindspring and now is married to the owner of the NYSE. She marries well. However, this situation will have some interesting implications in Georgia. She was appointed by the Georgia governor over the objections of Trump. The other guy hasn't given up and will likely be all over this.

The honorable thing would be for all 3 to disgorge their profits and contribute it to coronavirus relief.

Kelli is richer than hell. She previously was married to the founder of Mindspring and now is married to the owner of the NYSE. She marries well. However, this situation will have some interesting implications in Georgia. She was appointed by the Georgia governor over the objections of Trump. The other guy hasn't given up and will likely be all over this.

Found this entry on Kelly Loeffler on her Wiki page: "In 2004, Loeffler married Intercontinental Exchange founder and CEO Jeffrey Sprecher.[9] They reside in Tuxedo Park, Atlanta,[38] in a $10.5 million 15,000-square-foot (1,400 m2) estate named Descante, bought in the most expensive real estate transaction ever recorded in Atlanta".

lb8167741-m0xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

Even so, still got to cheat the system...

fuck richard burr (non-political post)

and fuck donald trump as well (also non-political)

Burr came out hard against...NPR. Called it a tabloid hit piece. If there's a media outfit slower to editorial publication than NPR (maybe PBS?) I don't know it. Seems like I've found the sympathetic audience for that message.

Some NPR hosts are good at editorializing in the context of interviews. Not saying it is wrong, just there to my ear.

Some NPR hosts are good at editorializing in the context of interviews. Not saying it is wrong, just there to my ear.

like that Mary Louise Kelly! shame on her for trying to trick poor Mike Pompeo.

Burr still better than that Duke trash pond scum Stephen Miller tho...

Stephen Miller is a sub human filth, i'd spit on that fucker but wouldn't want my spit to be disrespected like that.

So Wake is bad, but still way better than Duke.

Just to add a little balance here, Burr himself called for an Ethics investigation. Would it be possible for us to wait on facts until condemning?

Just to add a little balance here, Burr himself called for an Ethics investigation. Would it be possible for us to wait on facts until condemning?

You cannot Chinese wall yourself. There is a legal presumption against him regarding possessing non-public material information in the event that the information received at a confidential all-senators hearing included such information. And at the least he possessed more information, after that January meeting, than the ordinary investor. To say that he relied solely on business news and information from investment experts belies any claims that that he did not have additional information at the time. Again, you cannot Chinese walk yourself or unring that bell. Maybe he only dove into what experts were saying because he knew what was coming down the pipe virus wise.

What additional information do we need to wait for beyond what Burr has already provided? He gonna sign an affidavit about his own mental state when he made these transactions? Even if he does, how credible is that evidence? We know that he had more knowledge than the average investor and he admits as much by drawing a line as to what outstanding information he used and considered when making his own financial decisions.

You cannot Chinese wall yourself. There is a legal presumption against him regarding possessing non-public material information in the event that the information received at a confidential all-senators hearing included such information. And at the least he possessed more information, after that January meeting, than the ordinary investor. To say that he relied solely on business news and information from investment experts belies any claims that that he did not have additional information at the time. Again, you cannot Chinese walk yourself or unring that bell. Maybe he only dove into what experts were saying because he knew what was coming down the pipe virus wise.

What additional information do we need to wait for beyond what Burr has already provided? He gonna sign an affidavit about his own mental state when he made these transactions? Even if he does, how credible is that evidence? We know that he had more knowledge than the average investor and he admits as much by drawing a line as to what outstanding information he used and considered when making his own financial decisions.

Perhaps all true, counselor, but the story is hours old. You think you have all the correct facts?

So what position did Burr play? Was he any good?

Back