• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former Wake Forest football player, Senator Richard Burr

Good predicting on his part. If I was 65 and had such limited means, I would have likely made the same decision. Nothing in some confidential meeting said "the stock market is going to crash." Bureaucrats didn't know that for sure any more than you and I.

His trades were based on what was in the public domain, his age, his limited retirement accounts, and his limited time to recoupe what was likely to be a downturn.

There are scumbags here. They are his WF friends who immediately turned on him based on fake news.

It’s not fake news and watch who you are calling a scumbag. Read the article from the WF law professor and his prior law review article. It’s a close call on the insider trading and the federal circuits are split. Calling Elle who disagree with you a scumbag is fucked up.

An idea donaldross and others seem to not understand is that as a US Senator, Burr has a responsibility to avoid not only any illegal conduct but also the very appearance of impropriety. No idea whether he’s going to ever be convicted of a crime. But he sure as hell failed the second part.

That really is sort of my point. Just as folks hate lawyers. The media hates Republican Senators. The right wing media hates centrist Richard Burr. Folks hate anyone perceived to benefit off tragedy, legal or not.

All of those combined here to make Richard Burr the centerpiece of hate here. If the market had only gone down 10%, no one would have cared. If a cure had been found, and the market continued shooting up, he would have lost out.

Those things didn't happen though. Burr followed the law. He guessed right and went ahead and locked in his decades long gain for his upcoming retirement as millions of other older americans did.

But because he's an underpaid politician. And because he's a Republican. And because we need someone in this era to set up and hate, he becomes Christian Laettner.

Make that “ as millions of other older Americans DIDN’T”.

This is all scintillating discussion. Is there any way to pick up this entire thread and put it on Tunnels where it belongs?

He’s a Trumper. 100%. Went to the inauguration. He changed from Repub to Democrat because he hates the NC Repubs like Berger in Raleigh, which is understandable.

He also is adamant that we should have hired Wes to be our head coach when he was a 2nd year assistant at High Point (under the tutelage of the legendary Scott Cherry)

So in addition to being a Trumper he’s also a goddamn idiot.

How was the inauguration DR? Hard to find a place to watch?

This thread makes me think I may have been wrong about wfu22. You kinda alright, bro.

donaldross can't be serious...right? i mean, for the rest of us if you have confidential meeting regarding C-19 and the economy and then start selling stocks is insider trading. the information was not public, expectation, projections, etc.. I mean they were actively telling people to spend money and invest while selling off millions (you see so the market would wait for them to liquidate). it is criminal...hence the bills being put forth and the investigation.

LOL, deaconson. Messing up the quote function is boomer AF.

That is funny. I hit reply with quote and looks like that's what came up. It was a spoiler though.

Back