• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former Wake Forest football player, Senator Richard Burr

I have to admit I changed the bulk of my portfolio in late January into fixed income funds because I feared this was going to happen and no, I don't work for any brokerage or government entity and I don't even know any government officials.

I like Richard Burr. Not a Republican or a Trumper, but I know him and like him. This hate is way overblown. Burr has represented North Carolina and Winston-Salem exceptionally-well over a very successful career and is well-respected by many fellow senators on both sides. Dude did some things that are slightly morally grey, but decidedly not illegal. He is a politician and has had to play the game that they all play, particularly with the weird pressures that come from having to please the GOP. He is one of the good ones, though.

I will not be debating this. Political arguments are such a bummer. Just don't like seeing my man and a fellow Deac slandered in this echo chamber. I hate to even be propagating this conversation. Looking forward to a torrent of neg reps! Now move this shit to the tunnels.

I like Richard Burr. Not a Republican or a Trumper, but I know him and like him. This hate is way overblown. Burr has represented North Carolina and Winston-Salem exceptionally-well over a very successful career and is well-respected by many fellow senators on both sides. Dude did some things that are slightly morally grey, but decidedly not illegal. He is a politician and has had to play the game that they all play, particularly with the weird pressures that come from having to please the GOP. He is one of the good ones, though.

I will not be debating this. Political arguments are such a bummer. Just don't like seeing my man and a fellow Deac slandered in this echo chamber. I hate to even be propagating this conversation. Looking forward to a torrent of neg reps! Now move this shit to the tunnels.

"played the game" = used insider information to make millions while directing his constituents to do the opposite in order to protect his family's profits

He is a massive piece of shit.

Sadly there's not much we can do, but tanking the real estate business his wife is a partner in would be a great start. Wonder how we can do that? Lets brainstorm.

Last edited:
Well, you're right anyhow about

...the weird pressures that come from having to please the GOP.

That party has gone off the rails over the last 12 years or so.

A truly decent Republican would speak out against the insalutary insanity. Not attempt to quietly slide into retirement and (probable) lobbying, etc...

Political arguments are a bummer for people who aren't well informed, like you. What he did is not morally grey, it's morally repugnant. Your moral compass is way off.

An unprecedented storm was coming for the American people, and he was well aware of its severity because of the information he was exposed to as a member of that committee. Instead of warning his constituents of the imminent danger, he publicly downplayed the threat while allowing a select few well-connected donors access to the insider information he possessed. Then, before the economy cratered under the weight of this disease, he sold off stock based on that insider information. What he did borders on treason, and is at the very least disqualifying. I personally hope he spends the rest of his life being well-respected by the federal prison guards who supervise him.

Fuck off with this bullshit.

Im pretty sure defense of people you know is a psychological condition in an attempt to protect yourself. So if you know someone that gets caught doing something horrible your immediate thought is to downplay it while talking up what a good person they were. This way you can rationalize being like man I was friends with or neighbors with someone that was a total shithead. Its the classic person caught, covered in blood on video killing someone and the friend going so and so would never do something like this, they are a good god fearing church goer.

This is a mockery of justice. Shit bag Burr went full in with insider trading and brought his family into the mix. Remember, this all happened when the GOP were telling people to invest and how great the market was and will continue to be...guess what, it was so he and his bitch ass family could get their money out of the market before it tanked and the poor people that listened to them lost their shirts and retirement. He was privileged to confidential information...it was reprehensible and down right deplorable. Think of the people retirement age that lost everything because they listened to the BS they were selling to the American people.

This is 100% why politicians are POS, can't and will never trust them. They will always be out for themselves no matter what BS they say and Burr is a perfect example of the dredge of Washington swamp.

Fuck you, Dick!

You can tell a lot about a person based on who they are friends with.

And calling a POS a POS is not slander.

Saying that Burr is a "good one" is like saying Manning was excellent with in game adjustments. Proof is there, both are neither.

Back