• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Masters (likely) Oct 5-11, 2020

CBS can bitch and moan all they want. ANGC can call the whole thing off and be okay financially. They can play with tournament with TV coverage or not, maybe with a reduced pot for the winners. If CBS shows up to fulfill their contract, good for them. If they don't, they don't.

I guess it's more likely we have The Masters if we're not out of the woods, but it would be bad to normalize things by televising a golf tourament if we're not out of the woods because of the number of people required to run it.

It would take fewer people if there are no patrons, sponsors tents, etc. They camera could be socially distance from each other. It could take some work but I can’t think of another major sports event that could work in those conditions.

CBS can bitch and moan all they want. ANGC can call the whole thing off and be okay financially. They can play with tournament with TV coverage or not, maybe with a reduced pot for the winners. If CBS shows up to fulfill their contract, good for them. If they don't, they don't.

I guess it's more likely we have The Masters if we're not out of the woods, but it would be bad to normalize things by televising a golf tourament if we're not out of the woods because of the number of people required to run it.

You’re right about ANGC controlling things. Remember when NOW was protesting so much about the club not having any female members? (They really didn’t know because the membership is not public). The club went ahead and held the tournament with no tv ads at all, so their major sponsors would not catch any flack. They ate the cost of the ads (many, many $millions) and NOW went away. I seriously doubt that CBS would not show the Masters if it was played.

Aside from missing the Miami game, I think this will be awesome. Everyone will be broke so tickets will be cheap. Seeing the National this time of year will be cool. Also this means we will have 2 Masters within 6 months.

Aside from missing the Miami game, I think this will be awesome. Everyone will be broke so tickets will be cheap. Seeing the National this time of year will be cool. Also this means we will have 2 Masters within 6 months.

DR, people who go to The Masters are not going be worrying the cost of tickets.

I think it will be awesome too, if true. The owners of the house we rent still has our money (family friend) so hopefully we can just transfer it to the fall instead of them returning it to us!

It would take fewer people if there are no patrons, sponsors tents, etc. They camera could be socially distance from each other. It could take some work but I can’t think of another major sports event that could work in those conditions.

They could do that now. That's why the PGA was the last sport to cancel events. They had to cancel because it's such bad optics. Even though the cameras are far apart, it still takes a lot of coordination and people working in proximity to put such an even on TV.

I'd love to see The Masters go back to an actual exclusive event with about 50% - 75% of the number of patrons it had in the past, circa 1990. It's crowded with schmucks and yankees now.

I'd love to see The Masters go back to an actual exclusive event with about 50% - 75% of the number of patrons it had in the past, circa 1990. It's crowded with schmucks and yankees now.

And ambulance chasers

They could do that now. That's why the PGA was the last sport to cancel events. They had to cancel because it's such bad optics. Even though the cameras are far apart, it still takes a lot of coordination and people working in proximity to put such an even on TV.

Oh I agree. But by October, the optics may not be as bad. It also gives them time to figure out how to do production with social distancing measures in place.

Plus almost every player who has qualified for the Masters would have to get on an airplane, some of them international flights. It would have been the smallest field in Masters history.

Back