• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Poll: Will College Sports Be Cancelled for the 2020-21 School Year?

Will College Sports Be Canceled for the 2020-21 school year?

• College sports will not be canceled & will resume as normal in the fall

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • All College sports will be canceled for the entire school year

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Fall Sports will be canceled, Winter & Spring Sports will be played as normal

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Fall & Winter Sports will be canceled, but Spring Sports will be played as Normal

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • All Sports will be played for tv but no fans will be allowed to attend

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 4.2%

• Total voters
Notre Dame is starting classes, with students on campus on August 10. The semester will end before Thanksgiving. There will be no Fall Break. Ensuring that football returns this Fall played a role in this change to the calendar. Would expect other schools to follow a similar path because: a) it allows school to start when the virus expected to be bottoming out; b) provides a cushion of time in December for an online curriculum if there is a spike in the Fall causing to campus to close; c) campus will be closed in December when the flu season nears its peak; d) most importantly, it allows football to start as planned, without dealing with the "sports should not be played if students aren't on campus" issue.
https://news.nd.edu/news/notre-dame-to-begin-fall-semester-on-campus-the-week-of-aug-10/

The Irish will be playing football on September 26 against our Deacs.

Well I mean, unless Wake (or the ACC) cancels football this fall...

You think Clemson is canceling football this fall? Because that means the ACC is not canceling football (programs may opt out; anything is possible, but I don't see WF on the list of schools most likely to opt out).

U of South Carolina is bringing students back for the fall, then sending them home after Thanksgiving. I’m sure that’s just coincidently timed - nothing to do with the football season.

Read some about their deal this morning. Doing away with fall break and not coming back after Thanksgiving break and will finish with on-line classes. Their thinking is because of the current models showing a possible outbreak at the same time of the real start of the cold & flu season, it would be smart not to bring people back to campus at that time. I hope we can all make a go of it this fall and have students on campus!

You know, cold and flu season wouldn't be so severe if people would wash their hands and stayed home when they were sick.

Also fall break is canceled due to vacationing in other areas and coming back to campus. Thanksgiving as well.

I guess students will be discouraged from following the football team on the road as well. With "national" universities such as ND, a few kids flying home for the weekend could be problematic.

I guess students will be discouraged from following the football team on the road as well. With "national" universities such as ND, a few kids flying home for the weekend could be problematic.

From what I have heard, visiting fans will not be allowed to attend games.

What's to keep them from buying tickets in any section? Or season tickets in opposing venues?

The most reasonable public health approach to sporting events would be to limit games to students, faculty, staff, and administrators (if you have to have games at all).

K-12 and all higher ed should consider ending semesters at Thanksgiving to limit travel.

Wonder what it would take to shut things down if they go this route? Massive outbreaks on a campus or within a team? death of a coach? Death of a player? Pray none happen, but covid does not seem to be slowing down and skeptical heat will slow it given its spread in Miami/other tropical countries and seems like a sure head on collision disaster of big $ sports vs a Bad bug.

Wonder what it would take to shut things down if they go this route? Massive outbreaks on a campus or within a team? death of a coach? Death of a player? Pray none happen, but covid does not seem to be slowing down and skeptical heat will slow it given its spread in Miami/other tropical countries and seems like a sure head on collision disaster of big $ sports vs a Bad bug.

Fauci talked about this, with professional teams.

He said if one player tested positive, you could maybe get by & consider it isolated.

Then the interviewer (Peter King, I think) asked about 'what if multiple players test positive'.

Fauci effectively said, without hesitation, 'then you have to shut the whole thing down'.

Contact sports are done for the year, IMO.

Fauci talked about this, with professional teams.

He said if one player tested positive, you could maybe get by & consider it isolated.

Then the interviewer (Peter King, I think) asked about 'what if multiple players test positive'.

Fauci effectively said, without hesitation, 'then you have to shut the whole thing down'.

Contact sports are done for the year, IMO.

Eventually. The question is how far they'll get into planning and practice before shutting it down.

Article in The Athletic where the writer spoke anonymously with a half dozen or so AD's and rep's at P5 schools, and the "working model" they're all using is roughly 15-40% seating capacity, with 25% the most likely. Again speaking anonymously, the rep's for the schools that routinely sell out are sweating how to tell 75% of your loyal supporters and club members that they "didn't make the cut" w/o totally offending them and/or having them cut off their support beyond ticket sales. Or going with "mini packages" instead of full season tickets to spread who gets in. Other issues include how to define a "family" for group seating, the wearing of masks, etc. One AD "whose stadium doesn't typically sell out" (sounds familiar?) sounded almost relieved not to have those same issue to deal with as the Alabama's/Clemson's of the world.

Also how the hell do they handle lines getting into the stadium?

Yeah my source said his university could go up to 40% capacity but are leaning toward 15% capacity - and potentially cheerleaders, band.

No visiting fans, season ticket holders, and those who are left out / opt out will not lose their spots the next season

One AD "whose stadium doesn't typically sell out" (sounds familiar?) sounded almost relieved not to have those same issue to deal with as the Alabama's/Clemson's of the world.

Everything is just coming up roses for Wake Forest sports lately. Eh, probably just jinxed it.

Financial toll of coronavirus could cost college football at least $4 billion

https://www.espn.com/college-sports...l-financial-wreckage-due-coronavirus-pandemic

"About half of the public Power 5 athletic departments were self-sustaining in 2017-18, meaning revenue covered expenses without funding from student fees or university support. Take away football ticket revenue alone and only two schools still make the cut -- Georgia and Texas A&M -- according to the data from Syracuse University."

Last edited:
Back