• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Poll: Will College Sports Be Cancelled for the 2020-21 School Year?

Will College Sports Be Canceled for the 2020-21 school year?

• College sports will not be canceled & will resume as normal in the fall

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • All College sports will be canceled for the entire school year

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Fall Sports will be canceled, Winter & Spring Sports will be played as normal

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Fall & Winter Sports will be canceled, but Spring Sports will be played as Normal

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • All Sports will be played for tv but no fans will be allowed to attend

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 4.2%

• Total voters
I understand your reasoning. I just think that this may turn quickly into a haves versus have-not issue. Would Wake like to see UNC/Duke/Louisville have to make do with one or two fewer 3 or 4 stars? Sure. Can those schools better afford the extra schollys? Very likely. There won't be unilateral disarmament except as a last option. The changes will have to be at no lower than the conference level. Could this cause more realignment? I'd say at least minor shuffling will occur in the next few years.

Some are convinced that the Power V conferences will breakout and form their own football division, with the start of it being the athletes ability to make money based on their image and likeness. The question then becomes will these schools separate themselves for all sports which would kill the NCAA tournament.

The death rate for North Carolinians under 65 years of age is 3 per 100,000, not 1 per 100, but keep on with the alarmism.

This is not even close to correct. Where did you get this information? About 15% of the deaths in N.C. are in people under age 65. If the testing distribution is the same as death distribution, then about 1 out of 200 positive cases under age 65 will die. Now there are certainly people that never get tested, so the number is likely a bit lower than this, but no where close to the percentage you quoted.

The death rate for North Carolinians under 65 years of age is 3 per 100,000, not 1 per 100, but keep on with the alarmism.

This as clear cut a reason not to watch and believe Fox News as I’ve ever seen.

Bowling Green baseball reinstated after raising $1.5 million in the last 8 days. Wonder if we see more of this.

Three for OK State have tested positive as well. Guess, it's good that players are coming back to ensure that they get tested, and those that have it get quarantined. If colleges are going to return on the Fall, this is going to have to be the protocol, and to have any chance to handle it on a macro level, they have figure it out on a micro level first.

Marshall students are developing their Thundering Herd immunity.

I hate that dad jokes are funny to me now.

These positive tests are just making the case that all students need to be tested upon arriving to campus. It’s the right thing to do with the added bonus of helping keep star athletes healthy.

These positive tests are just making the case that all students need to be tested upon arriving to campus. It’s the right thing to do with the added bonus of helping keep star athletes healthy.

Yep. I wonder how often they’re going to try to test us since we’re the ones out in the world more often.

Yep. I wonder how often they’re going to try to test us since we’re the ones out in the world more often.

I’m all in for mandatory testing once we get back to campus.

I don’t know how to pull it off. I doubt I’ll be actually going to campus that much if I’m forced to teach online. I’m pretty sure faculty meetings will be online and my project team meetings will as well. I would hope university committee meetings will be as well.

We would need tracking apps on our phones to handle this. Testing stations at parking lots.

I don’t know how to pull it off. I doubt I’ll be actually going to campus that much if I’m forced to teach online. I’m pretty sure faculty meetings will be online and my project team meetings will as well. I would hope university committee meetings will be as well.

We would need tracking apps on our phones to handle this. Testing stations at parking lots.

If kids are back on campus, you won't be teaching them in the classrooms?

Probably not. It looks like a small number of classes will be face-to-face and the rest will be hybrid (part face-to-face/part online) or online. The state wants campuses to be open but the campuses don't want to expose students because they know business as usual will be dangerous. They also don't want to force students who aren't comfortable to come to campus for instruction.

As of now I will be on several different campuses teaching in person. Granted we got the “you can do online if you really want to” but I don’t feel as though I’m in a position to take that option right now.

I don’t think so.

If we’re still doing this in 2-3 months, people will rebel.

At some point, it just doesn’t make sense anymore.

From 3/21...

I was wrong about it being due to COVID-19 quarantine... But I was right about people taking it to the streets.

Marshall students are developing their Thundering Herd immunity.
giphy.gif

From 3/21...

I was wrong about it being due to COVID-19 quarantine... But I was right about people taking it to the streets.

Disagree that you were wrong. Quarantine is the ultimate cause of what are essentially block parties to give people some sorely missing community and celebrate being out of the house as opposed to anti-establishment protests. There is no threat from the governments to these protestors. They are participants.

I’m there with you. I got a genuine chuckle out of that one.

Back