• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Poll: Will College Sports Be Cancelled for the 2020-21 School Year?

Will College Sports Be Canceled for the 2020-21 school year?

• College sports will not be canceled & will resume as normal in the fall

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • All College sports will be canceled for the entire school year

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Fall Sports will be canceled, Winter & Spring Sports will be played as normal

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Fall & Winter Sports will be canceled, but Spring Sports will be played as Normal

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • All Sports will be played for tv but no fans will be allowed to attend

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 4.2%

• Total voters
This is not even close to correct. Where did you get this information? About 15% of the deaths in N.C. are in people under age 65. If the testing distribution is the same as death distribution, then about 1 out of 200 positive cases under age 65 will die. Now there are certainly people that never get tested, so the number is likely a bit lower than this, but no where close to the percentage you quoted.

Rafi, the calculation is dead on and you are confusing the 15% number with the death rate. Here are the facts:

1. NC population is 10.4 million
2. NC population aged 65 and over is 1.7 million
3. Therefore, NC population under 65 is 8.7 mil
4. Number of Covid deaths in NC is now 969
5. Percentage of Covid deaths for folks 65 and older is 75% - straight from NC health department.
6. Number of North Carolinians under 65 who have died is about 242 (25% of 969). Your 15% figure is low as it is actually 25%.
7. Death rate of those under 65 is 242 divided by 8.7 million .0000278, or 2.78 per 100,000.

So carry on with the hysteria and failure to analyze and understand the real data.

Deacdixieboy, you might want to turn off the alarmists at MSNBC and CNN and start thinking for yourself.

Last edited:
Rafi, the calculation is dead on and you are confusing the 15% number with the death rate. Here are the facts:

5. Percentage of Covid deaths for folks 65 and older is 75% - straight from NC health department.
6. Number of North Carolinians under 65 who have died is about 242 (25% of 969). Your 15% figure is low as it is actually 25%.
7. Death rate of those under 65 is 242 divided by 8.7 million .0000278, or 2.78 per 100,000.

So carry on with the hysteria and failure to analyze and understand the real data.

Deacdixieboy, you might want to turn off the alarmists at MSNBC and CNN and start thinking for yourself.

Wow. This, just wow.

LOL. You can’t be serious. You have included the entire population of NC in your “death rate” calculation, which includes millions of people that haven’t (yet) been infected. This may blow your mind, but the death rate from coronavirus for people that haven’t been infected with coronavirus is actually 0%! Can you believe it?!

Actually it assumes that the entire population of NC has been exposed to to the risk of covid. The death rate in my calculation will go up over time. But your method of calculating rates based only on the infected is grossly misleading and overstates the risk to the population at large, most of whom never get infected. If you are trying to decide whether to open up schools you need to determine the real risk to the population at large.

77, you should turn off the extremist, false propaganda of Fox News.

Actually it assumes that the entire population of NC has been exposed to to the risk of covid. The death rate in my calculation will go up over time. But your method of calculating rates based only on the infected is grossly misleading and overstates the risk to the population at large, most of whom never get infected. If you are trying to decide whether to open up schools you need to determine the real risk to the population at large.

It’s hard to know where to even start with this. Your calculation assumes all of NC has been infected, yet in actuality only 3% of NC has been infected - 97% has not been infected at this point. So your entire premise is wildly flawed.

WFU1977, can you use your skills for this one? I just want to know if we’re going to deem this acceptable every week during football season.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronaviru...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

If I read this correctly, it says that 37 people that attended the soccer match died of Covid........correct?
It does not say that 37 healthy people caught Covid at the match and subsequently died as a result of their attendance. Correct?

If I read this correctly, it says that 37 people that attended the soccer match died of Covid........correct?
It does not say that 37 healthy people caught Covid at the match and subsequently died as a result of their attendance. Correct?

The post under it explains it better than the post itself.

It’s hard to know where to even start with this. Your calculation assumes all of NC has been infected, yet in actuality only 3% of NC has been infected - 97% has not been infected at this point. So your entire premise is wildly flawed.

Is that 3% figure accurate? What are the assumptions about the error rates in testing and those who were infected but never tested? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just curious.

Is that 3% figure accurate? What are the assumptions about the error rates in testing and those who were infected but never tested? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just curious.

It’s hard to know for certain, but I am basing that number on a Wake Forest study of 16,000 people, so far, in NC. Testing has shown that 3% have antibodies as of June 1.

this is as clear cut a reason not to read and blindly believe Reddit threads as I've ever seen

I knew exactly what I was posting. It is a massive increase of deaths due to infections spread from a soccer game. The same thing happened in Italy.

I knew exactly what I was posting. It is a massive increase of deaths due to infections spread from a soccer game. The same thing happened in Italy.

no, it's a misleading post (since deleted) based on a misreading of an article

For reference, here is Spanish Flu graph

1918_spanish_flu_waves.gif

Back