• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Poll: Will College Sports Be Cancelled for the 2020-21 School Year?

Will College Sports Be Canceled for the 2020-21 school year?

• College sports will not be canceled & will resume as normal in the fall

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • All College sports will be canceled for the entire school year

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Fall Sports will be canceled, Winter & Spring Sports will be played as normal

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Fall & Winter Sports will be canceled, but Spring Sports will be played as Normal

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • All Sports will be played for tv but no fans will be allowed to attend

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 4.2%

• Total voters
What happens if a team has 20-25 kids in quaranteen 8 days before a game ? Sounds like a forfeit situation, no ?

if a player tests positive, then all close contacts are supposed to quarantine, yes?

wouldn't all close contacts be...the whole team? and everyone on the opposition, if they just played a game?

if a player tests positive, then all close contacts are supposed to quarantine, yes?

wouldn't all close contacts be...the whole team? and everyone on the opposition, if they just played a game?

Something tells me that college football is not going to follow that definition of "close contacts".

Something tells me that college football is not going to follow that definition of "close contacts".

will be interesting to watch - dook essentially torpedoed the ACC basketball tournament, from my understanding (they weren't coming and said so)

we'll see what they and others are willing to risk if football players are positive.

Very possible that some schools play and others don't. My guess is that college football starts, but does not finish (that may the case in multiple college and pro team sports).

When all of this ends, which likely would be the start of the 2021-22 school year at the earliest, all of college sports may look totally different. There was already some shedding of college programs last Spring. Next year, with far more severe revenue drops, entire athletic departments may be eliminated and possibly a handful of colleges/universities may close. At that point, there may be a movement for Power Conference programs to separate from the NCAA entirely.

Now up to 37 Clemson football players that have tested positive.

Very possible that some schools play and others don't. My guess is that college football starts, but does not finish (that may the case in multiple college and pro team sports).

When all of this ends, which likely would be the start of the 2021-22 school year at the earliest, all of college sports may look totally different. There was already some shedding of college programs last Spring. Next year, with far more severe revenue drops, entire athletic departments may be eliminated and possibly a handful of colleges/universities may close. At that point, there may be a movement for Power Conference programs to separate from the NCAA entirely.

I totally agree with this statement. But, I also fear this may not end well for a school like Wake Forest.

80189976_10223242127784088_176589227820031580_n.jpg

74238310_10223242128704111_8582489228352190477_n.jpg

Wearing a mask should be like driving a lot slower in neighborhoods with kids than you do on the interstate. The wind from your "Mega truckster" SUV going 70 past a kid on a bike is going to have a different effect then if you are going 30.

I don't know why some people think being considerate of others is having their freedom infringed.

If you want Covid 19, that is your choice. Just wear a mask and don't give it to me.

Wearing a mask should be like driving a lot slower in neighborhoods with kids than you do on the interstate. The wind from your "Mega truckster" SUV going 70 past a kid on a bike is going to have a different effect then if you are going 30.

I don't know why some people think being considerate of others is having their freedom infringed.

If you want Covid 19, that is your choice. Just wear a mask and don't give it to me.

I don’t know man, wearing a face mask seems like something a Muslim or an MS13 member might do.

Because you are (truly) essential employees of a multi-billion dollar industry, and the employer needs the revenue you provide to survive.

This has nothing to do with the fact you deserve full market value for the entertainment services you provide. The employer has decided to collude to limit your expense to us in order to maximize profits and income of old white guys like your coach and AD.

We're going to see how much they are students and how much they are athletes this season.

Pretty much the places that are requiring a mask are the same ones that have for years routinely required that you wear a shirt and shoes, i.e. "no shirt/no shoes/no service"). It should not be a big deal to expect businesses and venues to now add masks to the mix, and refuse service to those who don't want to comply.

Pretty much the places that are requiring a mask are the same ones that have for years routinely required that you wear a shirt and shoes, i.e. "no shirt/no shoes/no service"). It should not be a big deal to expect businesses and venues to now add masks to the mix, and refuse service to those who don't want to comply.

This.

So, after the Bostock decision will all public beaches be topless for all genders? I don't know that they will, or should, but isn't that one of the next steps. Sorry for the non-COVID diversion.

Southern Cal switched yesterday from its original decision to have students on campus to going to a mostly virtual campus for fall semester.

Ivy League is going to make a decision on July 8th whether it is going to have fall sports or not.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...decide-next-week-plan-fall-sports/5355555002/

Also, a Senate hearing yesterday that was designed to talk about name, image, likeness issues in college athletics spent a fair bit of time talking about COVID19 and whether colleges are doing enough to protect student-athletes.
https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/...tioned-coronavirus-pandemic-response-congress
I think this is one of the most important things to watch as we get closer to August. When media coverage ramps up does it create a narrative that colleges are not looking out for the best interest of their student-athletes. That has the potential to turn public opinion against college sports and make it very difficult for Presidents and AD's to move forward with plans to play this fall.

Back