• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Poll: Will College Sports Be Cancelled for the 2020-21 School Year?

Will College Sports Be Canceled for the 2020-21 school year?

• College sports will not be canceled & will resume as normal in the fall

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • All College sports will be canceled for the entire school year

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Fall Sports will be canceled, Winter & Spring Sports will be played as normal

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Fall & Winter Sports will be canceled, but Spring Sports will be played as Normal

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • All Sports will be played for tv but no fans will be allowed to attend

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 4.2%

• Total voters
Yeah this country is screwed because people cant go a few months without going to fucking Applebee, good luck getting unpaid college kids to isolate for a semester.

Covid-19 isn't going anywhere any time soon. Students will return to campus and school. Athletes will try to compete. Covid-19 is patient and will wait. Then it will make everyone wonder why they took the risk to return to normal. Just a matter of time. Some folks have to learn from experience. Some never learn.

18-22 year olds aren't going to sit in a dorm room for 3 months.

They don't have to sit in a dorm room, they just have to do things together and away from outsiders.

I hear a bunch of young adults speaking seriously about playing a sport they love. The next 4 months are going to be fucked anyway - tons of online classes, only fractions of students returning to school, etc... Just hunker down with your team like it's a longer summer camp and play an abbreviated season.

The point of the bubble and the testing is that it holds them accountable. Again, either it's worth it or it's not. I'm also not sure some folks realize how separate an existence elite college athletes lead when compared to normal students to begin with.

If Clawson can isolate from his wife these players can sacrifice a few months of college social life. Spell out the requirements per the NBA and NHL, then let the players say no. It's certainly doable.

Why would this work if it isn't working in MLB? There are like 3x as many people on the football roster and there are many more teams. In a conference it only takes 2 teams to have super spread and the entire season is over.

I'm also wondering why we should go through such huge efforts - I get budgets busting but that is going to happen regardless.

Is there a lawyer in the universe that would advise these young men to sign a waiver. Hints of heart damage. Hints of lung damage. Long haulers with multiple complaints. Everyday it's something else. The science is all over the map. And why are we such pussies. We can't give up a year? Why? Because we will miss our entertainment. It's really obnoxious.

Is there a lawyer in the universe that would advise these young men to sign a waiver. Hints of heart damage. Hints of lung damage. Long haulers with multiple complaints. Everyday it's something else. The science is all over the map. And why are we such pussies. We can't give up a year? Why? Because we will miss our entertainment. It's really obnoxious.

Absolutely, and that's why no one seems to be able to figure out what to do, or what would be the best policies. Furthermore, this unfortunate situation is unlikely to end soon.

They don't have to sit in a dorm room, they just have to do things together and away from outsiders.

I hear a bunch of young adults speaking seriously about playing a sport they love. The next 4 months are going to be fucked anyway - tons of online classes, only fractions of students returning to school, etc... Just hunker down with your team like it's a longer summer camp and play an abbreviated season.

The point of the bubble and the testing is that it holds them accountable. Again, either it's worth it or it's not. I'm also not sure some folks realize how separate an existence elite college athletes lead when compared to normal students to begin with.

If Clawson can isolate from his wife these players can sacrifice a few months of college social life. Spell out the requirements per the NBA and NHL, then let the players say no. It's certainly doable.

You got girls to isolate in the bubble with them? College football players may have a lot of demands on their time, but they always make time for the women.

You got girls to isolate in the bubble with them? College football players may have a lot of demands on their time, but they always make time for the women.

This. I think DCDeac had a very different college experience than an elite FBS football player.

“Hanging out with the boys” isn’t going to cut it.

They’ve already chosen to play major college football. They’re damaging their bodies every time they step out on the field.

Absolutely, and that's why no one seems to be able to figure out what to do, or what would be the best policies. Furthermore, this unfortunate situation is unlikely to end soon.

Yes it’s extremely difficult to figure out the right course of action here. Oh wait, there’s a simple set of steps to follow that would greatly limit the spread and every other country on the planet is handling this more effectively? Get out of here with this bullshit.

You people act like college-aged people aren't hanging out with other college-aged people already.

Why would this work if it isn't working in MLB? There are like 3x as many people on the football roster and there are many more teams. In a conference it only takes 2 teams to have super spread and the entire season is over.

I'm also wondering why we should go through such huge efforts - I get budgets busting but that is going to happen regardless.

The why is because the players are demanding to play, and the NBA and NHL are the how. Sure there are more football players, but the pros also drag far more support staff. Baseball isn't trying to bubble so you can't compare the two - a better comparison would be the soft bubble stuff some NFL teams are doing (successfully) which includes wives and girlfriends. Football isn't like baseball anyway - if you have a Marlins situation it'd potentially end a season depending on the game and whether the cases spread across two games. You don't have the luxury of 60+ makeup slots and double headers.

I find the arguments that "guys will party and crush strange nothin' to be done" to be a condescending response to how these athletes actually handle their commitment to sports.

I think they should simply cancel the season, I just get the sense that all the player talk will be the excuse for folks that need/want the revenue from college sports to make them play. If it's legitimately that important to the players then they have to make sacrifices. Seriously doubt the fear of subtle heart and lung damage in the midst of a sport that destroys your brain via concussion will be some kind of deterrent.

The why is because the players are demanding to play, and the NBA and NHL are the how. Sure there are more football players, but the pros also drag far more support staff. Baseball isn't trying to bubble so you can't compare the two - a better comparison would be the soft bubble stuff some NFL teams are doing (successfully) which includes wives and girlfriends. Football isn't like baseball anyway - if you have a Marlins situation it'd potentially end a season depending on the game and whether the cases spread across two games. You don't have the luxury of 60+ makeup slots and double headers.

I find the arguments that "guys will party and crush strange nothin' to be done" to be a condescending response to how these athletes actually handle their commitment to sports.

I think they should simply cancel the season, I just get the sense that all the player talk will be the excuse for folks that need/want the revenue from college sports to make them play. If it's legitimately that important to the players then they have to make sacrifices. Seriously doubt the fear of subtle heart and lung damage in the midst of a sport that destroys your brain via concussion will be some kind of deterrent.

They aren't professionals. NBA/MLS/NHL players are paid to be there and bubble themselves. These kids are "supposed" to be students first. Taking them away from school and saying "your only job is to focus on football because we need the TV revenue" is selfish on the parts of school administrations and athletic departments. I am sure almost to a man every single one of the players at schools across the country want to play but if this is the only way forward, then just call it what it is and say they are professional athletes.

They aren't professionals. NBA/MLS/NHL players are paid to be there and bubble themselves. These kids are "supposed" to be students first. Taking them away from school and saying "your only job is to focus on football because we need the TV revenue" is selfish on the parts of school administrations and athletic departments. I am sure almost to a man every single one of the players at schools across the country want to play but if this is the only way forward, then just call it what it is and say they are professional athletes.

I happen to know a cross country runner who would GLADLY make whatever sacrifices he needs to make to have a season. Because it's his last shot at a season, and he stands a decent chance of doing something pretty special at nationals. Next year he'll be 24, and it will be time to move on with his life, which won't involve running competitively - so it's fall 2020 or never for him. #Anecdote, I know, but there are others like him, along with other fall sports athletes, including football.

I happen to know a cross country runner who would GLADLY make whatever sacrifices he needs to make to have a season. Because it's his last shot at a season, and he stands a decent chance of doing something pretty special at nationals. Next year he'll be 24, and it will be time to move on with his life, which won't involve running competitively - so it's fall 2020 or never for him. #Anecdote, I know, but there are others like him, along with other fall sports athletes, including football.

I work in FBS college athletics and see athletes who feel similarly every day. I feel for every single one of them. This sucks but we can't ignore the pandemic just because we really, really want to play sports. Sports is one of the great rewards for a functioning society and right now we don't have one. I had to postpone my own wedding twice because of the pandemic and eventually just have a small family ceremony with a few friends because for 6 months our country couldn't get its shit together. It's not yet clear whether universities should even have students on campus due to the likelihood of an outbreak. If the whole premise of college athletics is STUDENT-athletes, then maybe we should have cleaned up the student part first. But the can has been kicked down the road until it is too late and rushed decisions are being made with the wrong priorities being emphasized. I hope your friend gets to compete one last time but right now I don't think anyone should be competing in anything.

Looking at the poll results, about half of us have already been proven wrong. That's not a surprising result. And there's still a lot of unknowns out there.

I work in FBS college athletics and see athletes who feel similarly every day. I feel for every single one of them. This sucks but we can't ignore the pandemic just because we really, really want to play sports. Sports is one of the great rewards for a functioning society and right now we don't have one. I had to postpone my own wedding twice because of the pandemic and eventually just have a small family ceremony with a few friends because for 6 months our country couldn't get its shit together. It's not yet clear whether universities should even have students on campus due to the likelihood of an outbreak. If the whole premise of college athletics is STUDENT-athletes, then maybe we should have cleaned up the student part first. But the can has been kicked down the road until it is too late and rushed decisions are being made with the wrong priorities being emphasized. I hope your friend gets to compete one last time but right now I don't think anyone should be competing in anything.

The ACC's expert says this can be managed

the NCAA seems to be abdicating responsibility here - let's get the B1G's medical experts in a room with this guy from Duke, and whomever the SEC is consulting with, and whomever else we need to talk with, and reach a consensus, rather than every conference making their own decision

Yes it’s extremely difficult to figure out the right course of action here. Oh wait, there’s a simple set of steps to follow that would greatly limit the spread and every other country on the planet is handling this more effectively? Get out of here with this bullshit.

Your simple verities are appropriate for your simple mind. You seem to have no idea about what is going on in the larger world around you. Every other country? Where the hell do you live?

Back