• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Poll: Will College Sports Be Cancelled for the 2020-21 School Year?

Will College Sports Be Canceled for the 2020-21 school year?

• College sports will not be canceled & will resume as normal in the fall

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • All College sports will be canceled for the entire school year

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Fall Sports will be canceled, Winter & Spring Sports will be played as normal

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Fall & Winter Sports will be canceled, but Spring Sports will be played as Normal

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • All Sports will be played for tv but no fans will be allowed to attend

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 4.2%

• Total voters
What about the entire other team that has been exposed to an entire different set of college students in a different region?

Yeah, it's a legit concern until we get to saliva testing that can yield immediate day-of results. My only point is that the travel itself is way down the list of issues

There are plenty of creative solutions universities could have come up with if they had just admitted that student-athletes are semi-professionals and that campuses would be closed in the Fall. Conferences could have set up small football campuses and housed four teams together to play three weeks worth of games. Hell, the ACC could have done that for each division for the semester. They could have housed the Atlantic at State and the Coastal at UNC and played games at Kenan, Carter-Finley, Wallace Wade, and even some high school stadiums.

What about the entire other team that has been exposed to an entire different set of college students in a different region?

That is where conferences have to insure that all teams adhere to "bubble" protocols so that the teams on the field are Covid free. That was one of the reasons most conferences went to conference games only. The ACC was unique in allowing a non-conference game.

Does the ACC have a specific set of "bubble" protocols?

Thought I heard today that NC State has 27 athletes sick. I didn’t catch if that was the football team or the entire athletic department.

Thought I heard today that NC State has 27 athletes sick. I didn’t catch if that was the football team or the entire athletic department.

Yes, they have temporarily stopped practicing all sports. Think it's the whole athletic department.

27 cases within the athletic department; not all students

https://abc11.com/health/covid-19-latest-nc-in-yellow-zone-white-house-report-says/6387455/

MONDAY
6:10 p.m.
NC State has identified three new clusters of COVID-19. Nine positive cases are located in Carroll Residence Hall.

The second cluster is at The Standard Apartment Complex with five cases, all of whom are NC State students.

The third cluster is 27 cases within NC State Athletics, however, not all of the cases are student-athletes.

NC State has temporarily paused all athletic-related activities due to the cluster within the athletics program.

"Based on the information available to us, we are making the necessary and swift decision to pause athletic-related activities until we have additional information," said Director of Athletics Boo Corrigan. "We will continue to work with all appropriate parties to evaluate the most responsible path moving forward and will provide further details when available."

How does a late start even work? Eligible for the playoff? I assume no bye weeks and a full conference schedule like everyone else? However, It would be just like the Big 10 to play Like 6 games and then bitch how they deserve to be in the playoffs.

NC State doesn't have a single running back that's not in Covid quarantine right now.

Looking at the poll that started this thread last March, hard to say any of the proposed choices fit the current situation as this is hardly a "normal" fall college sports season, but all fall sports haven't been canceled either. At this point, I guess the closest would be either "other" or "all sports will be allowed for TV, but no fans will be allowed to attend" as that currently fits WF, but several colleges will be allowing fans to attend sporting events, while several other colleges are not playing Fall sports at all. Just goes to show how difficult it is to predict how life will play out.

Last edited:
Big Ten now making noise that they may return to action in late October. Looking like a clown show for that conference.

Back