• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Poll: Will College Sports Be Cancelled for the 2020-21 School Year?

Will College Sports Be Canceled for the 2020-21 school year?

• College sports will not be canceled & will resume as normal in the fall

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • All College sports will be canceled for the entire school year

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Fall Sports will be canceled, Winter & Spring Sports will be played as normal

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Fall & Winter Sports will be canceled, but Spring Sports will be played as Normal

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • All Sports will be played for tv but no fans will be allowed to attend

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 4.2%

• Total voters
Without a miracle vaccine that gets pushed through red tape in an unheard of manner I am starting to lean towards no sports next year.

Without a vaccine in place it's hard for me to imagine college sports resume this fall or spring of 2021. It just isn't safe.

I think it more dependent upon an effective treatment than a vaccine. If an effective remedy is developed, the mortality factor is greatly lessened and isolation is not required for most people.

Also, it appears that the timeline for treatments, particularly if the treatment is based on already approved drug or set of drugs, is more likely to be far ahead of a timeline for an approved and mass-produced vaccine.

Per the majo on this thread, maybe the smart move is to let Manning's contract lapse another year before buying him out? Haven't been following the conversation at all - is that part of the calculus?

Per the majo on this thread, maybe the smart move is to let Manning's contract lapse another year before buying him out? Haven't been following the conversation at all - is that part of the calculus?

It feels like an almost inevitable outcome. The problem though is that if we don't have the money now, we probably won't have it next year either after a year of severely reduced income to the athletic department and burnoff of only one more year of guaranteed salary. Of course if the stock market responds bigly, maybe our big donors will be able to scrape together the cash without feeling like they're spending their last dime to buyout a shitty basketball coach at a school they haven't attended for 40 years.

I think it more dependent upon an effective treatment than a vaccine. If an effective remedy is developed, the mortality factor is greatly lessened and isolation is not required for most people.

I think it’s unlikely an effective treatment will be developed. We just are not very good at treating viral diseases.

If a 9 game schedule is played, it makes it more likely to have controversy about who makes the BCS playoff as that means 3 fewer games to sort out the top 4, particularly in the non-Power V conferences. Good chance that 2 or 3 unbeatens would emerge from those conference if no OOC games are played. If Boise, UCF and App all go unbeaten, do one or more of those teams get in the playoff if there are two or less unbeatens in the Power conferences?

Would be interested to see what happens if ND plays 9 ACC games next year. Would they qualify for the ACCCG if they had the best or second best overall record?

Last edited:
this is why we need antibody testing- if you already had it, you get your bracelet or certificate and you're all clear to do whatever you want. Bracelets/certificates get checked at the gate as you present your ticket. No bracelet/certificate, no entry.

That’s a weird poll because if the conditions were such that live sporting events were even happening, more people would feel better about going.

I look at that poll as a good starting point for sports. Right now, with the death toll rises every day, with the vast majority of the country under stay at home orders, 39% of generic "sports fans" polled would go to a sporting event.

There's a good chance that the ones more likely to go are the ones who already regularly attend anyway.

Last edited:
I am confident that these industries will lead us out of this mess. We are comparatively better off that many other countries.

And, this, ladies and gentlemen, is why watching FoxNews is dangerous to everybody's health.

With more talk recently about a possible spring football season, it seems more likely, at this point, that we won’t be having fall sports.
If that happens, 1) i certainly hope that all winter sports get back to the regular schedule 2) spring will be crazy.

People are listening to waaaaay too much spin.

I don't like raining on the 'hope' parade... but... IMO, we won't be attending normal sporting events until there's a vaccine. The 12-18 month time-frame for the trials/testing/manufacturing, etc is very optimistic.

Here. This is a story that needs to be read.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...match-italy-linked-epicenter-deadly-outbreak/

“With hindsight, it was madness to play with a crowd present, but at the time things weren’t clear enough. It’d be unthinkable now.”

College sports won't happen until college classes in-person are happening. Unless, of course, university presidents and boards of trustees are willing to remove much more of the "student" part of student-athlete. Most sports, by there very nature, require close contact, both with team mates and the opponent.

There just isn't a way for colleges to bring back a select group of students and their coaches for intercollegiate competition until there is effective treatment and/or vaccine for this. Any college who did bring back only student-athletes would be sued to oblivion if even one such student-athlete were to contract the virus under those conditions. And, what would happen to any who refused out of concern for their own health and welfare?

Vaccine development is on a super priority basis in all kinds of labs. The first with success will be hailed as saving our way of life. The paper work review will be very, very quick. The actual trials, of injecting people with the vaccine, cannot be rushed. Worse than no vaccine is a vaccine that doesn't work. We've been there before. Reported in the Washington Post is a review of the 1955 debacle with polio vaccine that was made improperly. People died. People got polio from it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/hist...polio-vaccine-paralyzed-children-coronavirus/

FWIW, yesterday, a class action suit was filed against Liberty University for failing to protect students by inviting them back to campus during the COVID 19 crisis. I'm sure every University GC is well-aware of this suit, and their school's potential liability if they open their campus, and an outbreak occurs. With Liberty being a notable exception, colleges and universities are particularly careful about not taking steps that would open them up for liability, which is a big reason why most schools closed their doors before most other businesses closed up. While I hope to be wrong (as I have two in college that are driving me crazy at home), will be surprised if campuses open up en masse in August 2020. Then again, things change so quickly. August is still 4 months away.

Back