• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Poll: Will College Sports Be Cancelled for the 2020-21 School Year?

Will College Sports Be Canceled for the 2020-21 school year?

• College sports will not be canceled & will resume as normal in the fall

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • All College sports will be canceled for the entire school year

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Fall Sports will be canceled, Winter & Spring Sports will be played as normal

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Fall & Winter Sports will be canceled, but Spring Sports will be played as Normal

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • All Sports will be played for tv but no fans will be allowed to attend

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 4.2%

• Total voters
“Wealthy Southerners Force People to Work on Large Fields in Hazardous Conditions” is not a new headline.

If the SEC and maybe Big 12 insist on playing, will the NCAA allow athletes to transfer if they don’t want to take that risk?

It sounds like the one time free transfer rule is a lock to pass next month. So, even without a special rule from the NCAA, any player could transfer (and if there is split among teams that play and those that don't, could see the NCAA giving every player in that situation an additional free transfer opportunity). That said, I would not expect a lot of players to transfer. Players generally want to play -- that assumes that conditions aren't dire. Hard to imagine players that have the thought of trying to play on the next level staying in their homes for a year or more, when there is an opportunity to play.

Fair point. Simply by playing they’re assuming a major health risk anyway.

If football players gather, practice and play while non-athlete students are told to stay home and do distance learning, that will be a really big next step in separating the scholarship athletes, especially in football, from the rest of the student body.

Like the Fed/Treasury manipulated stock market is not the economy, college football especially in the SEC is not "college" football.
The economic devastation to the SEC states of a canceled or modified college football season is mind-boggling. It's not just localized in Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Knoxville, Starkville, Gainesville, Baton Rouge, and Clemson (honorary). Live TV, souvenirs, donations, travel, just so much interconnected. So many people's complete existence built around college football - their governors are going to do everything they can to make the economic activity around the sport appear safe. It's going to happen unless the NCAA says it cannot, and maybe even then.

If, and it's a big if, they move college football to late Winter/early Spring, that's going to make for an accelerated coaching carousel next year. Currie needs to be working on his short list, starting next week.

If, and it's a big if, they move college football to late Winter/early Spring, that's going to make for an accelerated coaching carousel next year. Currie needs to be working on his short list, starting next week.

Why? We aren’t firing Clawson and I don’t think he’s going anywhere. Again, this LOWF coaches jumping for greener pastures false narrative needs to stop.

It would be Wake's luck to sign Matta and then have the season canceled.

If this follows the course of the Spanish Flu, then there will be new waves of the epidemic in the fall and winter.

If this follows the course of the Spanish Flu, then there will be new waves of the epidemic in the fall and winter.

To that point, here's an interesting overview of baseball and other sports during the Spanish Flu. I hope we've progressed enough medically and politically to handle this better than we did 100 years ago, but so far it doesn't seem so.

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-s...918-f498f2d4-7726-4a02-a5f5-59c63d982764.html

With respect to college sports:

By the numbers: Most teams played five games or fewer, and entire conferences shut down. By the start of November, just 87 college games had been played nationwide, compared to 253 one year earlier.

• Michigan (5-0) and Pittsburgh (4-1) were named co-champions, with the former shutting out an otherwise-unblemished Syracuse team while the latter crushed previously unscored-upon Georgia Tech.
  • Game of the year: The above-mentioned tilt between Pitt and Georgia Tech was organized as a War Charities benefit and included a who's who of football legends: sportswriter Walter Camp was in attendance, while head coaches John Heisman (Georgia Tech) and "Pop" Warner (Pitt) roamed the sidelines.

Lots of interesting information in there.

As I'm sure many of you did, I received an email survey from the athletic dept. yesterday to season ticket holders about the gameday football experience in general, and a few specific questions about the 2020 season. Just from the tone of it, seems like there's at least been some thinking/planning for fans in the stadium, which with our moderate number of season ticket holders could be manageable.

looks like the first shoe is about to drop

No one gives a damn about west coast college sports.

I’m waiting to hear from P6 schools, especially SEC.

No one gives a damn about west coast college sports.

I’m waiting to hear from P6 schools, especially SEC.

so you're more interested in San Jose State's scheduled 9/19/2020 game at Happy Valley, or especially Fresno State's scheduled 10/10/2020 game in College Station

The more off the record conversations I have with people out there, many with WFU connections, the less confident I get for local, high school and collegiate sports this summer and fall. The "major pro leagues" can make a go at it without fans to complete their tv contracts. The little guys, no way without fans. If we have school in the fall, they are going to do it without "assemblies" and interscholastic sports are assemblies...no sports.

If there are no students on campus at college, then I can't see them playing sports.

The more off the record conversations I have with people out there, many with WFU connections, the less confident I get for local, high school and collegiate sports this summer and fall. The "major pro leagues" can make a go at it without fans to complete their tv contracts. The little guys, no way without fans. If we have school in the fall, they are going to do it without "assemblies" and interscholastic sports are assemblies...no sports.

If there are no students on campus at college, then I can't see them playing sports.

Unfortunately, that’s the way I see it right now. Still hoping for a significant improvement to get us back closer to ‘normal’

Back