• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Poll: Will College Sports Be Cancelled for the 2020-21 School Year?

Will College Sports Be Canceled for the 2020-21 school year?

• College sports will not be canceled & will resume as normal in the fall

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • All College sports will be canceled for the entire school year

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Fall Sports will be canceled, Winter & Spring Sports will be played as normal

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Fall & Winter Sports will be canceled, but Spring Sports will be played as Normal

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • All Sports will be played for tv but no fans will be allowed to attend

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 4.2%

• Total voters
Multiple reasons:
1) Evidence is beginning to show that heat may prevent the spread of COVID
2) August is supposed to be a valley in number of cases
3) Giving up saturday TV slots in the fall, NFL will take them and potentially never give them back
4) This university makes alot of money on Spring football
5) Other conflicts for the university of having many sports starting all at once.

October was discussed as the latest month to start football (with condensed schedule).

As far as number 1 goes, I'd hate to see what S and SWFL would have looked like if it wasn't slowed in in heat.

As far as number 1 goes, I'd hate to see what S and SWFL would have looked like if it wasn't slowed in in heat.

Yeah. There’s plenty of evidence that isn’t the case in this country alone. I don’t know why people keep parroting that. The virus will die sooner on outdoor surfaces but outdoor spread isn’t as big of an issue anyway.

And even if you think August is a valley, that means it peaks in October/November. Nobody wants their football games to be hotspots.

I think college football in January will be feasible because I think the NFL will end up waiting until January. The logistics of both especially with respect to weather aren’t too hard to manage.

All Fauci is talking about right now is a bad outbreak in the fall. There's probably something to climate effects, though the effects not seem to be near as impactful as with the flu. Case numbers have begun dropping over the last few days at long last in the US, I suspect warm weather is the #1 reason why.

A March-May season might be the best solution (in spite of the incredibly short turnaround before a 2021 CFB season) because you might have to stop a September-November one, and things could be really bad at the start of January-March. Plus the weather is downright awful in many parts of the country during that time period -- I've seen talk that a Jan-March season is basicallly a non-starter for that reason.

Fauci is talking about a second wave in the fall because it’s going to take longer for the virus to get to some areas and there will be more outbreaks as social distancing ends. He’s probably basing it on the 1918 pandemic as well.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-commemoration/three-waves.htm

If the NCAA wants to have college football in January, there are plenty of places with the climate to host games. Sure the Big Ten won’t have many home games but I’m sure their alumni would show up to games in Tampa, Orlando, Miami, Jacksonville, Atlanta. Something is going to have to give in order for there to be games anyway. Location is most likely.

Yep, everybody’s gonna be wanting to hop on planes and pay a ton of money for hotels in just eight short months

Yep, everybody’s gonna be wanting to hop on planes and pay a ton of money for hotels in just eight short months

I'm talking about locals. Most Big Ten schools have plenty of alumni within 3-4 hours of any of those sites.

Mark Emmert said earlier this week that there wouldn't be any sports this fall without students on campus.

Bob Bowlsby (Big 12 commish) told hi to STFU and stay in his lane.

Greg Sankey (SEC) indicated Tuesday on the Finebaum show that the P5 conferences are currently working together on how things will work.

“I was asked a question, and I think if the entirety is played of what I spoke, when this flared up, is the connection between the autonomy 5 conferences being likely stronger than I’ve ever experienced,” he said. “We’re speaking every day. But, even more importantly, our schedules are connected. So the notion that 1 likely thinks about going off and doing something in an independent way is actually not attached to reality.”

John Swofford (age 71) scratches head.

He needs to retire and the conference needs to move its headquarters to a city with direct flights to the member institutions.

When the BCS went into place, the NCAA gave up the authority to govern college football. Now, the conferences govern themselves for football. The Power V commissioners have held conference calls each week to discuss how college football will proceed. Mark Emmert is not part of those conversations. Emmert's proclamation about students returning to campus applies to field hockey and cross country, not FBS football.

He needs to retire and the conference needs to move its headquarters to a city with direct flights to the member institutions.

not counting the Alabama schools, I think the only direct flight from Birmingham to a SEC member school would be to Atlanta, which is the closest commercial airport to Athens.

When the BCS went into place, the NCAA gave up the authority to govern college football. Now, the conferences govern themselves for football. The Power V commissioners have held conference calls each week to discuss how college football will proceed. Mark Emmert is not part of those conversations. Emmert's proclamation about students returning to campus applies to field hockey and cross country, not FBS football.

This guy gets it.

Also basketball and soccer. No classes = no basketball in fall semester.

The NCAA didn't give anything up, they wanted control -- there was even a Supreme Court case about it in the '80s. But they lost and now the conferences have total control of football, for better or for worse

SEC schools will hold a vote on May 22 on whether to open up their athletic facilities to student-athletes (… um... football players) on either June 1 or June 15. Guessing SEC schools will be holding on-campus "informal" football workouts within a month.

SEC schools will hold a vote on May 22 on whether to open up their athletic facilities to student-athletes (… um... football players) on either June 1 or June 15. Guessing SEC schools will be holding on-campus "informal" football workouts within a month.

If the vote is yes to open up, how many days after opening until there is at least one player diagnosed with Covid-19?

I think 10

Channeling your inner Jim Boeheim?

I don't see how fall sports resume as normal in the fall. You aren't going to see a packed stadium until there is a vaccine mass deployed. I can see a scenario where sports are played without fans or where stadiums are filled to half capacity so seating is spread out.

Scoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooopppppppppppp !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Our President said that he does not just wants sports to return, but he wants a packed stadium for the Bama/LSU game this Fall. Considering the constituency of those states, he might just get what he wants.

Back