• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Poll: Will College Sports Be Cancelled for the 2020-21 School Year?

Will College Sports Be Canceled for the 2020-21 school year?

• College sports will not be canceled & will resume as normal in the fall

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • All College sports will be canceled for the entire school year

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Fall Sports will be canceled, Winter & Spring Sports will be played as normal

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Fall & Winter Sports will be canceled, but Spring Sports will be played as Normal

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • All Sports will be played for tv but no fans will be allowed to attend

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 4.2%

• Total voters
I could see a scenario where, IF campus is open, the only people allowed in stadiums are students since they are all together on campus, presumably with testing. If they are allowed in with water and food then they aren’t introducing any new people into the equation.

U of South Carolina is bringing students back for the fall, then sending them home after Thanksgiving. I’m sure that’s just coincidently timed - nothing to do with the football season.

I could see a scenario where, IF campus is open, the only people allowed in stadiums are students since they are all together on campus, presumably with testing. If they are allowed in with water and food then they aren’t introducing any new people into the equation.

That's plausible. Students only with appropriate social distancing. Could get student groups to work concessions.

It's looking more and more likely that the SEC is going to have football no matter what.

Going to be an interesting call for the ACC.

The SEC exclusively lies in a region of the country where the states were the most eager to re-open and where the attitude generally puts the onus on the individual to decide the extent he/she wants to re-introduce into a post-COVID world. That has and will make it easier for the conference as a whole to move forward with football in the Fall.

The ACC has schools in those states (FL-GA-SC-KY), but the ACC also has schools in states that have generally been more cautious about re-opening (VA, PA, MA, NY). Also, Clemson has become such a dominant force and a cash cow for the conference's football fortunes would think that Clemson is generally in position to largely impose its will on the ACC on football related decisions. To the extent that SEC takes steps to re-start football and make moves to assist their football programs (like opening up campus facilities for Summer workouts), Clemson will insist on doing the same as their competition is LSU and Bama, and Clemson has to keep up. ACC will be walking a narrow line to ensure all interests are considered.

Amen. And any other state with entertainment options beyond SEC football

U of South Carolina is bringing students back for the fall, then sending them home after Thanksgiving. I’m sure that’s just coincidently timed - nothing to do with the football season.

I’m on the it faculty listserv (sometimes teach online courses if they are in need as the chair is a friend). It changes every other day so I’m sure something will change soon. I’m on faculty listservs for 4 universities for various reasons (never got removed or am currently affiliated with them) and they are all over the map right now and constantly changing.

I would not be surprised if U of SC changed course again before this is all said and done. Columbia is a hot spot in SC. I'll be surprised if they are ushering thousands of students back in 2 months.

Going to be an interesting call for the ACC.

The SEC exclusively lies in a region of the country where the states were the most eager to re-open and where the attitude generally puts the onus on the individual to decide the extent he/she wants to re-introduce into a post-COVID world. That has and will make it easier for the conference as a whole to move forward with football in the Fall.

The ACC has schools in those states (FL-GA-SC-KY), but the ACC also has schools in states that have generally been more cautious about re-opening (VA, PA, MA, NY). Also, Clemson has become such a dominant force and a cash cow for the conference's football fortunes would think that Clemson is generally in position to largely impose its will on the ACC on football related decisions. To the extent that SEC takes steps to re-start football and make moves to assist their football programs (like opening up campus facilities for Summer workouts), Clemson will insist on doing the same as their competition is LSU and Bama, and Clemson has to keep up. ACC will be walking a narrow line to ensure all interests are considered.

I think the canes are going to be in the go slow group.. Dade and broward are still in more lockdown than the rest of Fl. The mayor or Miami had Covid. Cuse playing in a dome and in the State of NY.. No way..

I forgot Murphy Grant came to Wake from Kansas. Seems like an impressive guy, but it doesn't seem like this is a group for an athletic trainer.

Didn’t want to start another thread with this but Furman just cut baseball and men’s lacrosse. Bowling Green cut baseball last week and Cincy cut men’s soccer. Hate to see more of this but I expect it will continue

Didn’t want to start another thread with this but Furman just cut baseball and men’s lacrosse. Bowling Green cut baseball last week and Cincy cut men’s soccer. Hate to see more of this but I expect it will continue

Agree that more cuts are to come. When sports get cut, they rarely get reinstated. Sucks. This is why colleges will find a way to play football this fall.

My gut feeling is that every "team" doctor will say play and every professor as the primary job will go slow.

I suspect there may be a number of "reverse Title IX" suits being brought.

Notre Dame is starting classes, with students on campus on August 10. The semester will end before Thanksgiving. There will be no Fall Break. Ensuring that football returns this Fall played a role in this change to the calendar. Would expect other schools to follow a similar path because: a) it allows school to start when the virus expected to be bottoming out; b) provides a cushion of time in December for an online curriculum if there is a spike in the Fall causing to campus to close; c) campus will be closed in December when the flu season nears its peak; d) most importantly, it allows football to start as planned, without dealing with the "sports should not be played if students aren't on campus" issue.
https://news.nd.edu/news/notre-dame-to-begin-fall-semester-on-campus-the-week-of-aug-10/

The Irish will be playing football on September 26 against our Deacs.

Last edited:
Also fall break is canceled due to vacationing in other areas and coming back to campus. Thanksgiving as well.

Back