• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Poll: Will College Sports Be Cancelled for the 2020-21 School Year?

Will College Sports Be Canceled for the 2020-21 school year?

• College sports will not be canceled & will resume as normal in the fall

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • All College sports will be canceled for the entire school year

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Fall Sports will be canceled, Winter & Spring Sports will be played as normal

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Fall & Winter Sports will be canceled, but Spring Sports will be played as Normal

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • All Sports will be played for tv but no fans will be allowed to attend

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 4.2%

• Total voters

WakeForestRanger

Reaction score
I think social distancing will still be in effect and will require it.

Think you forgot the poll but my answer is no although fall sports might.

I don’t think so.

If we’re still doing this in 2-3 months, people will rebel.

At some point, it just doesn’t make sense anymore.

It depends upon how well we blunt this curve with probable nationwide shutdown announcement tomorrow night giving people 24-48 hrs to prepare to be sheltering in place. Then what we do in the Sumner months regarding replenishing and restructuring our healthcare response system. So when the fall second wave surfaces, and it will, are we better positioned to isolate, mitigate and treat the outbreaks so that it doesn't repeat the systemic impact? Ranger, if we don't, sports will be the least of our worries.

I agree Sports will be the least of worries. Just trying to get a feel of what everyone is thinking right now.

Voted for Fall and Winter cancelled although I think things will ramp up around January so maybe a shortened b-ball season.

I kind of mentioned this on another thread but I think that the big issue with football will be competitive balance. Some areas of the country will be fine. Others will not. What will happen in the ACC if Boston is still social distancing but Miami is fine because it’s 90 degrees in August? What happens if the smaller cities in the SEC have recovered but the big metro areas of the Pac-12 have not?

No. We'll get a vaccine developed soon and this will become another virus that we have to deal with on a seasonal basis, like the flu.

I hope we learn many lessons from this one so when the "big one" comes (with a mortality rate of 50 percent or worse), we're actually ready for that one.

Racer, since you responded to a post I made on another thread, courtesy demands me to respond here. I honestly don't know what will be affected. If I had to take a guess, I'm afraid fall sports may be impacted in some way. Copout answer but it's the best I can do. Hope I'm wrong.

Vaccine will be a year at the very least. Probably 16-20 months. People are dying at a crazy rate and it’s going to get far worse before it gets better. Out of supplies, doctors/nurses getting sick and wearing trash bags as PPE, wiping them down with paper towels. It’s fucked. So fucked

I’m loaded up for the Wake ND game so no disruption is warranted.

Vaccine will be a year at the very least. Probably 16-20 months. People are dying at a crazy rate and it’s going to get far worse before it gets better. Out of supplies, doctors/nurses getting sick and wearing trash bags as PPE, wiping them down with paper towels. It’s fucked. So fucked
People are dying at a crazy rate? Source plz.

Sensationalize much?

The testing situation is much, much better and should be licked within a week. We have an FDA approved malaria drug which is showing anecdotal evidence of working in Europe, and the supplies are plentiful. There are many other drugs in development which may become available under compassionate use, and the FDA is clearly working with urgency and creativity. The medical device industry has mobilized to manufacture thousands of ventillators. The acute issue we have is protecting our healthcare workers for the next month until supplies can catch up. It is inexcusable that nearly the entire supply chain for gowns, booties, masks and shields was off-shored. This unfortunately will take time to fix. The best thing we can all do to help reduce the need for protective gear for our healthcare workers is to avoid contact with each other.

Keep in mind that in addition to technology, the US has a huge worldwide competitive advantage in biotech, pharma, diagnostics and medical devices. I am confident that these industries will lead us out of this mess. We are comparatively better off that many other countries.

Last edited:
The testing situation was supposed to be “licked” in a week two weeks ago per the federal government. If only we could have seen this coming two months ago and been able to address these foreseeable hindrances to containing the virus. If only!

People are dying at a crazy rate? Source plz.

Fiancée who is elbows deep in it every day without sufficient PPE and innumerable sources (doctors, nurses, PA/NP) in hospitals throughout country. The “numbers” you see on news do not reflect the severity. Lack of testing, not sending tests out on weekends (sad but true), the spread that will only get worse bc people don’t take it seriously. Yes, it is bad and getting worse. China has a temporary hold on domestic cases due to forced lockdown and stay at home. If we don’t take these measures, we will look more like Italy/Iran etc. if any of you are not taking this seriously, it is way past time. And if you’re smoking, fucking stop right now.

Back