• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Poll: Will College Sports Be Cancelled for the 2020-21 School Year?

Will College Sports Be Canceled for the 2020-21 school year?

• College sports will not be canceled & will resume as normal in the fall

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • All College sports will be canceled for the entire school year

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Fall Sports will be canceled, Winter & Spring Sports will be played as normal

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Fall & Winter Sports will be canceled, but Spring Sports will be played as Normal

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • All Sports will be played for tv but no fans will be allowed to attend

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 4.2%

• Total voters
Regardless, they will still need to market their regaining sports. That budget won't go away.

The Brown basketball team has made the NCAA tournament twice: 1939 and 1986. They are 0-2 in the NCAAs, and in their last appearance Cuse beat the Brown Bears by 49.

1986 or ‘85 was the year our women’s team made the tournament if I remember correctly.

Just Indoor track. Does not include cross country and outdoor

I can understand indoor track if you have to make a cut. Not outdoor. Remember when we went to the App Relays in Boone many, many years ago.

The Brown basketball team has made the NCAA tournament twice: 1939 and 1986. They are 0-2 in the NCAAs, and in their last appearance Cuse beat the Brown Bears by 49.
I think I might've guessed them as one of the little handful of schools that had never gone.
Still surprised they've gone twice.

Not the most promising outlook for reopening schools and having fall football. However, good, balanced article as he sees both sides.

If the mandate is to avoid all risks then society will never reopen. There are risks in life. And the risk to young athletes from covid death is miniscule. Time for the alarmism to stop and for folks to start accepting life as it is.

If the mandate is to avoid all risks then society will never reopen. There are risks in life. And the risk to young athletes from covid death is miniscule. Time for the alarmism to stop and for folks to start accepting life as it is.

[insert Ivan Drago gif here]

If you had 100 skittles and 1 of them was a death sentence would you eat the skittles? That’s what we’re living in now. Maybe some people will and I love sports but if I was a college athlete there is no way in hell I’d take that chance just to play some football in front of an empty stadium....especially if had little to no chance of a professional football career.

If the 2020-21 sports year is significantly less than normal (which appears certain), will there be changes in scholarship limits for at least the next year? What better way to save some bucks than, by way of example, cutting football from 85 to 80 scholarships. You save those direct costs and can also reduce some women's sports to comply with the letter of Title IX, if not the spirit. I can see MBB losing up to 2 schollys without a huge outcry.

I think it's more likely to see football scholarships cut from 85 to 75 than see two MBB scholarships cut. The four game rule paved the way for this.

I can't see men's basketball losing scholarships. I know there are differences in scholarships between some men's and women's sports, but I think it would be tough for there to be an imbalance between scholarships in men's and women's basketball given that they're both revenue sports.

Agree that the number of men’s BB ships won’t be cut. That said, there’s already an imbalance between women’s and men’s BB ships. Men’s D1 scholarship limit is 13; women’s limit is 15.

This is an interesting question. Would kids just find out a the summer before that they are no longer on scholarship? That would suck. Even the schools cancelling programs are keeping their folks on scholarship.

This is an interesting question. Would kids just find out a the summer before that they are no longer on scholarship? That would suck. Even the schools cancelling programs are keeping their folks on scholarship.

If the NCAA reduced the football scholarships, the reduction would not be imposed immediately to avoid that exact situation. The recruction would be phased in over a few years so that no player would lose his ship. 85 in 2020; 82 in 2021 and so on to get to 80 or 75.

If the NCAA reduced the football scholarships, the reduction would not be imposed immediately to avoid that exact situation. The recruction would be phased in over a few years so that no player would lose his ship. 85 in 2020; 82 in 2021 and so on to get to 80 or 75.[/QUOTE

I don't see any way that any cuts can happen for the next year without lawsuits flying all over the place. The pandemic will be the excuse for the plan, similar to what is going on in minor league baseball where contraction just got accelerated.

If you had 100 skittles and 1 of them was a death sentence would you eat the skittles? That’s what we’re living in now. Maybe some people will and I love sports but if I was a college athlete there is no way in hell I’d take that chance just to play some football in front of an empty stadium....especially if had little to no chance of a professional football career.

The death rate for North Carolinians under 65 years of age is 3 per 100,000, not 1 per 100, but keep on with the alarmism.

The death rate for North Carolinians under 65 years of age is 3 per 100,000, not 1 per 100, but keep on with the alarmism.

What's the death rate for those over 65?

PS - Many major schools have started sending emails to season ticketholders about potentially having games in empty (or only partially full) stadiums. Wake seems to be on the more cautious side of things (July 1 resume of organized activities) so I'm guessing at least some of the season will be played in front of an empty stadium. Or games will just be postponed.

I think it's more likely to see football scholarships cut from 85 to 75 than see two MBB scholarships cut. The four game rule paved the way for this.

I can't see men's basketball losing scholarships. I know there are differences in scholarships between some men's and women's sports, but I think it would be tough for there to be an imbalance between scholarships in men's and women's basketball given that they're both revenue sports.

I understand your reasoning. I just think that this may turn quickly into a haves versus have-not issue. Would Wake like to see UNC/Duke/Louisville have to make do with one or two fewer 3 or 4 stars? Sure. Can those schools better afford the extra schollys? Very likely. There won't be unilateral disarmament except as a last option. The changes will have to be at no lower than the conference level. Could this cause more realignment? I'd say at least minor shuffling will occur in the next few years.

Back