• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

School Talk

Things change when you have kids.

Those people, whom I have no faith in to begin with, have been jerking us around for months about their plans for our kids, while we are left to roll our eyes.

And my school board member went to Wake.

I have a CMS school age kid. It’s frustrating but I while they’re doing a bit of waffling they’re at least doing it in the right direction.

Better than a confident full reopen decision based on at best a hunch that “kids” don’t get it or transmit it, or at worst that “God will decide” if we get it or it’s a hoax or some shit. Because if/when the shit hits the fan they’ll be making it all up on the fly again like last spring.

First day back at school in Paulding County, GA.

116717490_4956549064356032_6061563076412688886_n.jpg

Its Georgia, summer of 2019 here. Masks are encouraged but not mandated because you can't take away people's freedom.

:rulz:

So how many days before they close school again? 10?

PS - sweet Kappa sportswear shirt.

First day back at school in Paulding County, GA.

116717490_4956549064356032_6061563076412688886_n.jpg

Yeah they suspended a student because of this.

Not because they didn't wear a mask - because they took this picture and posted on social media. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/06/us/north-paulding-high-school-coronavirus-georgia.html?action=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article

I love this quote from the superintendent:
The superintendent of the Paulding County School District, Brian Otott, defended his system’s reopening plan, saying in a letter to the community after the hallway photos circulated that the scenes were taken out of context. Students only remained in the hallways briefly while switching classes, he wrote, and the school was following recommendations issued by the Georgia Department of Education.

But he acknowledged, “There is no question that the photo does not look good.”

Masks are not required at the school, Mr. Otott said, though the administration strongly encourages them for students and staff members.

Wearing a mask is a personal choice, and there is no practical way to enforce a mandate to wear them,” he wrote, adding that more than 2,000 students attend the high school.

I guarantee you that Mr. Otott enforces a strict dress code, and that any young lady who makes a personal choice to wear a skirt that is 2 inches too short or a young man who wears baggy jeans will find that the school enforces the hell out of it.

The school superintendent is just enforcing the standards of his community. And Paulding County, while not some sort of concrete jungle, is part of metro Atlanta.

That principal must think we are really dumb. Of course that picture is while students are switching classes.

The quote reminds me of something a family member asked me recently. Retired school teacher, by the way. Asked me, without a hint of irony or self-awareness, "is it constitutional for the government to tell people what they can wear?" Meaning masks, of course. I responded that the government tells people what they can wear all the time, but refrained from pointing out that this person was a very active participant in enforcing government dress codes for the entirety of their 30 year educational career.

The Venn diagram of people who are for “pull up your pants” laws and against masks mandates is a circle.

The Venn diagram of people who are for “pull up your pants” laws and against masks mandates is a circle.

I'm trying to analyze the converse of that and I think I blew a circuit.

Back