• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

School Talk

We have to have a draft ready a week early so mine is basically done. Kind of crazy.

Yep. We just got a call from Guilford Schools telling us the state system is down.

(This is going great)

So far its a disaster. I had to send zoom links to my students through their email and through Remind text. This is why we were told not to teach content the first two weeks.

From Atlanta (DeKalb County): "The district's IT department just made us aware that there is a problem with connectivity on their servers. We will update you when the district has resolved the problem."

So it isn't just NC.

Political aspects of whether or not it makes sense to do school in person during a pandemic aside, this is just a shitty way to try to conduct classes (especially for younger kids).

No talk of how well things have gone at UNC yet?

Spoiler: it is a disaster and a preview of what is about to happen across the country at universities.

UNC shifts to all-online instruction.

They literally only made it a week. First day of school was last Monday

lol I just answered an email from a student asking if my course was going to be online

i should have just responded with the UNC news

lol I just answered an email from a student asking if my course was going to be online

i should have just responded with the UNC news

My class is designated as a Hybrid course and 50-79% has to be online. I’m going to tell my students that we are just going to be online because there’s no way there’s going to be face to face classes within a few weeks anyway. It’s amazing how much time and effort we’ve spent preparing classrooms for face to face learning simply to please Republican politicians who are ignoring the inevitable.

My class is designated as a Hybrid course and 50-79% has to be online. I’m going to tell my students that we are just going to be online because there’s no way there’s going to be face to face classes within a few weeks anyway. It’s amazing how much time and effort we’ve spent preparing classrooms for face to face learning simply to please Republican politicians who are ignoring the inevitable.

I’m gonna be F2F for at least a few weeks unfortunately. We’ll see what happens. Classes start at college #1 on Wednesday.

I’m gonna be F2F for at least a few weeks unfortunately. We’ll see what happens. Classes start at college #1 on Wednesday.

Good luck, man. This is a tough time to grind.

I feel so bad for my daughter who is a freshman. Lost half of her HS senior year and now will be home in a few weeks from college. Losing all those great experiences. Sad

I feel so bad for my daughter who is a freshman. Lost half of her HS senior year and now will be home in a few weeks from college. Losing all those great experiences. Sad

You and I same boat, different ends. My daughter's first day of Kindergarten was at my kitchen table.

Will she still keep in touch with Sasha Obama while they're not sharing a room?

Saw a news segment on CMS starting "learning pods", which Is basically a handful of well off families paying a teacher privately to teach their kids in a private setting. Pretty good idea if you can afford it. It gives the kids 5 or so other kids to learn with and it's as close to K-5 as you can get right now.

Saw a news segment on CMS starting "learning pods", which Is basically a handful of well off families paying a teacher privately to teach their kids in a private setting. Pretty good idea if you can afford it. It gives the kids 5 or so other kids to learn with and it's as close to K-5 as you can get right now.

North Carolina restricts this by statute to two families. We've been seriously considering it with another family for about a month now. It's not as crazy expensive as you'd think, especially if it lets one of the spouses go back to work.

Back