• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

School Talk

Appreciate the responses... I'm just frustrated with the whole situation.

My comments were limited to elementary school... From the reading I've done over the last few weeks and months, it seems like there is little evidence of outbreaks in primary schools worldwide. I don't think that is due to social distancing or restrictions that we aren't employing as fully in the US.

This article from the Washington Post is a bit dated (July 11th), but it hits on a number of the points that fuel my frustration.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/schools-reopening-coronavirus/2020/07/10/865fb3e6-c122-11ea-8908-68a2b9eae9e0_story.html

My comments were limited to elementary school... From the reading I've done over the last few weeks and months, it seems like there is little evidence of outbreaks in primary schools worldwide. I don't think that is due to social distancing or restrictions that we aren't employing as fully in the US.

This article from the Washington Post is a bit dated (July 11th), but it hits on a number of the points that fuel my frustration.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/schools-reopening-coronavirus/2020/07/10/865fb3e6-c122-11ea-8908-68a2b9eae9e0_story.html

I think American adults habitually underestimate children.

Somebody "hacked" into our elementary school's virtual 1st grade music class on Monday and just started screaming profanities.

What the fuck is wrong with people?

I'm so sorry. That's awful.

This was one of my main fears with virtual learning - children should not have to be subjected to this shit. During our Open House I made sure to ask about security protocols, both district-wide and individually with our teacher, that are in place to prevent virtual bombings.

In Forsyth County NC, there was a similar incident yesterday.

BTW, I experienced the other Zoom bombing referenced in that article. It was shocking. Kids need to be better protected.

Really interesting thread (although a bit repetitive) on the dire state of public university finances before Covid and why Univ administrators probably felt that they were between a rock and a hard place wrt reopening. I've posted a couple of times on a couple threads about the candidness that the President of UCONN has had with employees about university finances, but this thread looks more broadly:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...5fb3e6-c122-11ea-8908-68a2b9eae9e0_story.html

Why? Other countries have largely contained the virus, so they have fewer outbreaks.

It seems like you're treating elementary school as a separate entity from the rest of society as opposed to a place where people from different parts of society come together for part of the day.

Why? Other countries have largely contained the virus, so they have fewer outbreaks.

It seems like you're treating elementary school as a separate entity from the rest of society as opposed to a place where people from different parts of society come together for part of the day.

Because those same countries have seen outbreaks (to varying degrees) at high schools and colleges.

But I get your point.

Cj4zE1a.jpg

I've run into a problem that is only answered in a long roundabout way and that I am sure other students will be running into in various ways this semester. Need to use ArcMap, but it is a Windows only software. I can access it through Citrix on MacOS but then I cannot access the needed files because they have not been downloaded to the proper system, aka a campus computer. Had to then actually access a remote desktop to download and transfer the files needed to the right place to be able to access said files in ArcMap. It was a nightmare to figure out.

I've run into a problem that is only answered in a long roundabout way and that I am sure other students will be running into in various ways this semester. Need to use ArcMap, but it is a Windows only software. I can access it through Citrix on MacOS but then I cannot access the needed files because they have not been downloaded to the proper system, aka a campus computer. Had to then actually access a remote desktop to download and transfer the files needed to the right place to be able to access said files in ArcMap. It was a nightmare to figure out.

Send a "thank you" notes to Bill Gates (and Steve Jobs if you can find an address).

It does suck that some programs are so tied to one operating system that they are a royal PIA to use on another.

I took most of this morning off to help the wife get the kids set up on the virtual classrooms.

I'm now in the camp of: we should cancel this school year. Straight up, just take a year off. Kids can take a placement test next year if it matters. What we are doing in the K-5 realm right now is insanity.

Gwinnett County Schools (largest district in Georgia) starting in-person school next Wednesday for certain grades... K & 1st Grade in Elementary, 6th Grade for Middle School, 9th Grade for High School. Plan is to add grades every few weeks.

Fingers crossed that it goes well so we have that same option here in Dekalb County sooner than later.

I'd still be shocked if they go back before January '21.

I'm extremely sympathetic to parents of young kids at this time

what do you all think is going to change between now and January?

Just had the intro meeting with my 3rd grader's teacher. Young teacher, probably late 20s. Hyper-prepared. Her Canvas game puts me to shame. My kid balled up in his bed and didn't participate at all. He said he was going to forget it before Monday anyway. Ugh. Hard to argue with that. My wife and I both teach in the mornings Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. One will be getting both the kids ready and monitoring them most of the school day.

Should have just spent the last 6 months developing learning video games the kids could play all day.

I'm extremely sympathetic to parents of young kids at this time

what do you all think is going to change between now and January?

It's more that I don't see them going back before then... Not that I expect a return in January '21.

Again, not to get into the politics, but the election looms large and people on both sides are digging in... And regardless of that, I can't see schools starting in-person learning in the middle of flu season and right around the holidays when there are weeks off for vacation anyway.

My wife is convinced the entire year is not going to happen. Even if we get a vaccine that is worth a shit, it's not going to be going to teachers or kids (though maybe teachers should be on that list).

I've been dead wrong in my thinking on all of this, FWIW... I thought that we'd have 2-3 months of panic and conformity in March-May and then people would revolt. But I didn't think the transition to work from home would go so well, that the government would prop up the economy, and that a vaccine would be treated as a panacea (not just in the literal sense).

We have had regular ongoing protests for the last three months. Sure the protests are about racial injustice but this crisis set the stage for the protests.

We have had regular ongoing protests for the last three months. Sure the protests are about racial injustice but this crisis set the stage for the protests.

Yeah, I made some post predicting summer riots back in March and then reposted when the protests were happening... But I was of course way off on the reasons.

I still think we're going down a slippery slope (leading to economic collapse & political upheaval)... I just think I underestimated how long it would take for things to fall apart.

Then again, I'm the guy who is documented as having serious doubts about the viability of civilization over the next 50-100 years... So maybe I'm just a nut (who often expects things to fall apart a lot sooner than they actually do).

Back