• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

School Talk

Synchronous class #1 about to begin. Let’s see how this goes.

The final project for my Research Methods course is a grant proposal. They have to pick a topic, research it, and use what we've learned in class to design a study. They're doing it in groups of 2-4 students.

I've already had two students, two of my better more active students, email me asking me to change the assignment because they don't think they can complete it without meeting in person.

Like WTF. Tens of millions of people are doing their job right using video conferencing, emails, and other software. I submit 1 or 2 grant proposals a year and about 90% of the work is over email, using Google Docs, etc. Very little of my team research work happens in person.

"how can i bring my grade up more" is one of the great mysteries that may never be solved

Haha she's a trip. Highly opinionated, probably needs some sort of hyperactivity medication, but a good kid at heart.

I emailed her back, explaining (in a light-hearted manner) how she needs to be mindful of her tone when emailing teachers/employers/etc and also explaining to her how she will raise her grade to an 80+ if she keeps turning in her work this week, including the finished project.

She responded well, apparently she struggles with remembering which tone to use when communicating on her phone. That is her text tone. She will try to improve her email tone, and did not mean any disrespect.

Last edited:
I emailed her back, explaining (in a light-hearted manner) how she needs to be mindful of her tone when emailing teachers/employers/etc and also explaining to her how she will raise her grade to an 80+ if she keeps turning in her work this week, including the finish project.

She responded well, apparently she struggles with remembering which tone to use when communicating on her phone. That is her text tone. She will try to improve her email tone, and did not mean any disrespect.

Yeah, I include language re: professional tone on email in my syllabus now after I got a bunch of that shit last semester.

The final project for my Research Methods course is a grant proposal. They have to pick a topic, research it, and use what we've learned in class to design a study. They're doing it in groups of 2-4 students.

I've already had two students, two of my better more active students, email me asking me to change the assignment because they don't think they can complete it without meeting in person.

Like WTF. Tens of millions of people are doing their job right using video conferencing, emails, and other software. I submit 1 or 2 grant proposals a year and about 90% of the work is over email, using Google Docs, etc. Very little of my team research work happens in person.

I'm getting the same in regard to short assignments where I require some outside sources. "But I can't go to the library!" Well I have shown you where 99% of things are accessible online and I guarantee I have a PDF of the other 1% that I will share with you.

I always assume that any class that has students write up, design, and research a proposal is just fishing for good ideas to appropriate.

I always assume that any class that has students write up, design, and research a proposal is just fishing for good ideas to appropriate.

LOL. I’ve got plenty of ideas on my own.

I am rethinking it. I got the email equivalent of sad puppy dog eyes from one of my best students. He said he was asking for his classmates who have a tough time getting consistent internet access who either use library computers or borrow laptops from the library.

He even ended it with this:

“As always I very much appreciate your guidance, and you're the professor and I'm the student. Have a good day.”

Fuck. Now I’m the asshole who hates his low income students who rely on library resources.

I mean, I do library sessions every quarter and most of my students are juniors and seniors.

Do y’all want to guess how many of them use the library for looking for books?

I’m looking forward to the only live sports content this fall: Liberty University intramurals, featuring the students who aren’t clogging the healthcare system.

Know this isn’t the sports board, but there is a push for a lot of ADs to cancel future games with them for this decision, WF included.

My university and several others are giving students the option of going pass/fail (or some equivalent).

My university and several others are giving students the option of going pass/fail (or some equivalent).

We’re having a Zoom meeting about that tomorrow. Are you going to change anything based on this decision? I feel like papers will almost be a waste of time if they know they can just turn in something C quality.

Yeah, I'm torn. The class I'm teaching is writing intensive and is going to be all juniors and seniors. Most of them, in my experience, want grades and there's going to be a selection effect here where a lot of these kids are higher achievers anyway. I want to give them the option, but I'm not exactly sure of what to do in terms of pedagogy when like 90% say that they want a grade and a couple take the class pass/fail for the reasons that you mention, deacdixieboy.

Yeah, I'm torn. The class I'm teaching is writing intensive and is going to be all juniors and seniors. Most of them, in my experience, want grades and there's going to be a selection effect here where a lot of these kids are higher achievers anyway. I want to give them the option, but I'm not exactly sure of what to do in terms of pedagogy when like 90% say that they want a grade and a couple take the class pass/fail for the reasons that you mention, deacdixieboy.

One of mine is 90% freshmen while the other has a lot of last semester seniors. I honestly don’t know what I’m going to do.

We’re having a Zoom meeting about that tomorrow. Are you going to change anything based on this decision? I feel like papers will almost be a waste of time if they know they can just turn in something C quality.

It pretty much sealed my decision not to require an end of the year group project. I don’t begrudge any student to opting to do pass/fail, but I wouldn’t want a student gunning for an A to be saddled with a group partner who is just trying to get by.

It does make me feel better about doing optional discussions on Microsoft Teams though.

The Provost made it clear that instructors won’t know who is getting letter grades vs. P/F.

The most recent thing i read (in favor of a "Double A" system) argued that professional schools, hiring managers, and grad school committees look down on pass/fail marks on transcripts (as not suitably rigorous?).

I don't quite buy it. Every student in the world is affected by this thing.

Back