• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

School Talk

this is fucked up and one of the reasons i can't see myself teaching on campus again for awhile

i wonder if they'll be held criminally or civilly responsible.

writing up a long blog on what Pitt has told (and not told!) us and the HyFlex model they're proposing for our return next fall

Wake pushing ahead...announcing today some details of their plans to have students return in the fall.

I’m sure they’ll have a release along the lines of that one from Vanderbilt.

Fun times.

There is a lot of consternation on academic science twitter about the reopening plans. I've seen about a dozen tweets like this in my feed over the last few days.

Are there any thoughts on public school for the fall? I don't see how I can send my kids to the petri dish that contains COVID19. How difficult is it to sign up to homeschool?

Are there any thoughts on public school for the fall? I don't see how I can send my kids to the petri dish that contains COVID19. How difficult is it to sign up to homeschool?

Home schooled my 13 year old for 7th grade last year for various reasons. Signing up was easy, supervising her getting the school work done was a nightmare.

The Ivy league is voting on football on Wednesday. There are many reports coming out that it will push the season to the spring.

I guess it differs by state, most likely district. Our district is giving parents until Friday to decide between face-to-face, e-learning, and virtual school. What bothers me is that the district seems to be making decisions based on a survey that was completed a month ago when new cases in FL had just started reaching 1,000 a day and under 64,000 total. We just passed 200K this weekend.

We are hoping to get three families (with 5 out of 6 parents working from home and 1 who works outside all day) together to get a tutor for three 6th graders and two 3rd graders from 9:00-2:00 Monday-Thursday. $20-25 per hour for 20 hours a week.

Maybe it's too political for the pit, but, Harvard and MIT suing the federal government over ICE's new foreign student visa rules denying/revoking visa's unless there are in-person classes.

What about sports? Is Harvard going to play sports?

all fall sports cancelled across the Ivy League; winter sports can't start until at least 1/1

Home schooled my 13 year old for 7th grade last year for various reasons. Signing up was easy, supervising her getting the school work done was a nightmare.

And you are capable of doing it, unlike a lot of folks doing it who never finished high school themselves. Think how their kids are getting jobbed.

I'm a public school speech pathologist in SoCal. Cases keep going up here so I don't see how we don't end up in distance learning. This year is going to flat out suck in public school. My daughter is starting kinder at my school this year. My district is giving K-5 the option of full day on campus (half the day is just called extended learning and is supervised by an aide), half day, or all online. I hope we don't have to go to distance learning, providing online speech therapy to my full caseload while attempting to parent/teach her this spring was a fail. She lived on YouTube and Minecraft for the whole time.

Most districts are making it very easy to sign up for online options because it helps them be able to logistically provide on campus options if more kids opt out of in school options.

Some schools were doing that last semester too. This is going to be a disaster

Back