• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

School Talk

the pictured high school, Etowah, now closed until at least August 31

I teach in a K-8 public charter school in this county. Another high school in the area also closed today until the 31st. Only 1 confirmed case for our school, but there are numerous students and a few teachers already quarantined and a handful awaiting test results. We’re at about 50-60 percent capacity of F2F students and the rest are virtual. Had a handful of students switch to virtual upon hearing about the first positive case. Would be nice to hear from anyone else who is physically in the classroom. And yes, Georgia is special.

I had a brief conversation the other day with an adjunct prof at a large state school. His class is going to be all online. He's okay with the teaching aspect (essentially telling me "I'll give the same lectures I have in the past") but resigned to the fact that there will likely be more cheating on exams. He's working on structuring the exam to make it less likely than it would be otherwise. What are you folks in the virtual trenches doing to deal with this issue?

Way better to have kids cram for an exam and forget the material immediately than digest a sentence or two for a minute and fill it in correctly on the same exam.

I'm teaching three new preps, in three different modalities (fully online, "cohort"-alternating" in-person and virtual, and some other hybrid structure), some synchronous and some asynchronous, with enrollments that fluctuate daily. School starts in a couple of weeks. I'm having trouble tracking everything.

Honestly, I'm just planning for everything to be fully virtual come late September.

I had a brief conversation the other day with an adjunct prof at a large state school. His class is going to be all online. He's okay with the teaching aspect (essentially telling me "I'll give the same lectures I have in the past") but resigned to the fact that there will likely be more cheating on exams. He's working on structuring the exam to make it less likely than it would be otherwise. What are you folks in the virtual trenches doing to deal with this issue?

I’ve been giving online exams since I started teaching. I didn’t realize so many people still gave in person exams.

I use random question pools and a time limit. Usually it’s something like 50 questions out of a pool of 80-100 with a 60 min limit. Open book, open notes, they don’t see the correct answers unless I show them the answers. If they try to work with someone else, they just end up doing more work and the questions are in different orders.

I’ve been giving online exams since I started teaching. I didn’t realize so many people still gave in person exams.

I use random question pools and a time limit. Usually it’s something like 50 questions out of a pool of 80-100 with a 60 min limit. Open book, open notes, they don’t see the correct answers unless I show them the answers. If they try to work with someone else, they just end up doing more work and the questions are in different orders.

Do you do this through black board or some other software?

Haha, the exams I give probably look a *lot* different than the exams you give. And probably take ten times as long to mark

Do you do this through black board or some other software?

Yeah. Through Canvas. This is multiple choice tests. Any essays or papers are submitted through Canvas for a plagiarism check.

I also randomize order and do questions pools. You still have to worry about people getting a live tutoring session from Chegg, so we are working with a lockdown browser. I'm still 99% sure my students were talking during the exam, best thing to do is try to use the webcam and convince the students that I can see where their hands are (note: I cannot with most workable camera angles).

I'm teaching three new preps, in three different modalities (fully online, "cohort"-alternating" in-person and virtual, and some other hybrid structure), some synchronous and some asynchronous, with enrollments that fluctuate daily. School starts in a couple of weeks. I'm having trouble tracking everything.

Honestly, I'm just planning for everything to be fully virtual come late September.

For sure. This half and half shit, about 60 percent f2f and the rest virtual, is worse than last quarter when it was all virtual. Kids switching to virtual every few days. I didn’t think we would get to Labor Day before going virtual, but we’ll see.

I also randomize order and do questions pools. You still have to worry about people getting a live tutoring session from Chegg, so we are working with a lockdown browser. I'm still 99% sure my students were talking during the exam, best thing to do is try to use the webcam and convince the students that I can see where their hands are (note: I cannot with most workable camera angles).

Seems like live tutoring for a timed exam would be a pain.

Cheaters have always found a way. I was telling this guy about one of my roommates back in the day who went to the restroom in the middle of an accounting exam and found a classmate looking up stuff in a textbook he (the classmate, not the roomie) had stashed in there. This same roomie (let's call him Bob) and I had a class together. i found an old exam for the course (same prof) in my fraternity's koofer files. Bob and I studied it just to get an idea of what might be asked. When the test was passed out the next day, we discovered that the prof had merely switched the pages around from the old exam.Page 1 was now page 2, etc. Not exactly the type of randomness you guys are using now.

Seems like live tutoring for a timed exam would be a pain.

People as I understand it can sign up for a live "tutoring" session with Chegg, which on a timed final would have them reading the question aloud and having the person on the other end give them the answer. We're trying to fix that this year by making the students log on to Zoom with their phone while simultaneously taking a test with their lockdown browser on their computer.

People as I understand it can sign up for a live "tutoring" session with Chegg, which on a timed final would have them reading the question aloud and having the person on the other end give them the answer. We're trying to fix that this year by making the students log on to Zoom with their phone while simultaneously taking a test with their lockdown browser on their computer.

That's how we've been instructed to give tests at the HS level. Have everyone do it on Zoom with a locked browser. I'm going to make my quizzes that way too using Google Forms, you can lock the browser in quiz mode.

Why would the tutor know the answer? I guess it depends on the class and types of questions.

That's how we've been instructed to give tests at the HS level. Have everyone do it on Zoom with a locked browser. I'm going to make my quizzes that way too using Google Forms, you can lock the browser in quiz mode.

Haven’t tried google forms yet, but gave some map quizzes today on the school’s canvas equivalent and had them log on Zoom and show me their workspace, keep their cameras on, etc., not much I can do if they’re looking up the answers. They should be. But based on most of the scores, they didn’t seem to care enough to do that...

Back