• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

School Talk

Yeah, I made some post predicting summer riots back in March and then reposted when the protests were happening... But I was of course way off on the reasons.

I still think we're going down a slippery slope (leading to economic collapse & political upheaval)... I just think I underestimated how long it would take for things to fall apart.

Then again, I'm the guy who is documented as having serious doubts about the viability of civilization over the next 50-100 years... So maybe I'm just a nut (who often expects things to fall apart a lot sooner than they actually do).

Really curious about the decision to have kids if you think the society is not viable well within their lifetimes.

Really curious about the decision to have kids if you think the society is not viable well within their lifetimes.

Two responses:

1- I’m probably wrong and I’m definitely selfish.
2- My kids are likely to change the world for the better.

Two responses:

1- I’m probably wrong and I’m definitely selfish.
2- My kids are likely to change the world for the better.

Love this, especially point two. I watched Idiocracy 15 years ago and decided that, yes, I should have kids. Kinda think it probably backfired with kid one, but kid two could do great things. Pretty harsh on kid one, I know, but she is bipolar and saving the world is probably not in the cards.

Love this, especially point two. I watched Idiocracy 15 years ago and decided that, yes, I should have kids. Kinda think it probably backfired with kid one, but kid two could do great things. Pretty harsh on kid one, I know, but she is bipolar and saving the world is probably not in the cards.

There’s a pretty good chance my son (kid #3) will grow up to be some version of President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho.

Maybe the key to saving our society is finally harnessing the skills of people with disabilities. They’ve been marginalized for so long in favor of people who have gotten power and defined themselves as normal.

Cj4zE1a.jpg

Lol

Wake would have a chance...

Welp...

The ConnorEl fambly is pleased to announce that spring break 2020 is finally over.

They came home from college and we went to the beach and then they never went back.

Child 1 enjoyed a virtual graduation in May...now has transitioned into (presently) remote grad school and an off campus apartment...hoping to get on campus some over the next year...

Child 2 we took today back to campus for his senior year...will he remain...?

Crazy time.

Best wishes to all and your children and students.

Maybe the key to saving our society is finally harnessing the skills of people with disabilities. They’ve been marginalized for so long in favor of people who have gotten power and defined themselves as normal.

Maybe not the key but certainly a big, largely ignored piece of the puzzle.

So Zoom is down for the entire WSFCS school district this morning. Fun times.

awar (work), me (work), and my son (WSFCS) had separate Zoom meetings scheduled simultaneously yesterday morning during this outage. Real fun times.

Do we know why the Zoom outages were confined to certain locations?

And they’re still not moving to online instruction? Yikes. UNCC & ECU have moved online.

And they’re still not moving to online instruction? Yikes. UNCC & ECU have moved online.

The town of Tuscaloosa has closed all restaurants and bars for two weeks. The University President is trying to convince the ABC stores in the county to close as well.

Rail: That clarifies so elegantly and simply your discussion of “study” in Undercommons, which is just that people want to know stuff, and then they find it out—That is “study.” Sometimes universities are good for that, but most of the time it happens someplace else.

Fred Moten: The university is job training, but without teaching you how to do the job. It’s where they teach you how to suffer in order to do a job. That is what it’s for. And at the same time they’re teaching you that, they’re tantalizing you with all these amazing intellectual resources, like, Here’s some superficial relationship to this thing. Not a deep one. We’re not going to give you time to actually think about a fucking thing, we’re just going to give you time enough so when you’re at a cocktail party at your law firm you can act like you’ve read an Edith Wharton novel. People want to know shit, man. Just like you said: people do. You have to go to school to learn how to not want to know shit, and they do a really good job of that.

https://brooklynrail.org/2017/11/art/FRED-MOTEN-with-Jarrett-Earnest

Back